April 5, 2020
Notes from the Administration
- OUR STUDENTS- Our students, your children have been amazing. Logging onto Schoology, carrying on discussions with teachers, completing work, and maintaining a positive attitude. WOW!
- OUR TEACHERS-Our teachers have worked to put resources in your hands, created online learning platforms, made themselves available to you, and have worked hard.
- OUR PARENTS & CAREGIVERS- All of you have taken on a new role with our Continuity of Learning, all the while caring for your family and carrying out your own job responsibilities. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and patience towards our staff. You have been an amazing community!
Accessing Your Child's Materials
- Materials were mailed to each address that we had on file for every student in our building for Week 1 and Week 2.
- Thank you to those who have already turned in their materials. We have been asked to hold off on collecting any additional paper packets until we receive guidance from the State of Maryland. Please wait until we have further directives before turning in your child's paper packet at the school.
- You can scan your child's work and send to the teacher for grading.
- Students will not be penalized for not submitting work for these two weeks of assignments.
Student Work this Week
Mr. Bass is being featured on Monday April 6, 2020 Morning Announcements.
You can reach him by sending an email to: Colin.Bass@fcps.org
Continuity of Learning Feedback
- We recognize that transitioning to our Continuity of Learning has it's challenges.
- Thank you for your patience as we make the complete transition to a technology based platform.
- Schoology has been working diligently to increase their capacity and performance as they have been inundated with online learners nationwide in the last 3 weeks.
- Feel free to give us your feedback as we grown and learn with you with this survey:
Blessings in A Backpack Food Pick Up
- To our families who receive Blessings in a Backpack during the school year, we will distribute food on Wednesday April 8th from 4-6.
- We will also distribute food on Thursday April 9th from 11-1.
If you find that during this time, your situation has changed and you are in need of resources to support you and your family, please contact Shelley.Lewis@fcps.org or Lisa.Reese@fcps.org or Kirsten.Leatherman@fcps.org
Meal Pick Up at WHES
- Monday through Friday
- Breakfast served at WHES as "to go" 8:30-9:30
- Lunch and Dinner served at WHES as "to go" 11:30-12:30
Free to all students 18 and under. Please consider taking advantage of opportunity.
Check out our morning announcements.
If your child would like to be a guest on our morning announcements, please send your video to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PreK Students- Jokes
Kindergarten Students- I wonders
1st Grade Students- Good morning Whittier
2nd Grade Students- Word Fun- Puns, Hink Pinks, Idioms
3rd Grade Students- Disney Trivia
4th Grade Students- Word of The Day
5th Grade Students- Leadership Quotes
If you would prefer that your child not be on video, you can just send in their submission to the email account, and they will get a shout out on announcements.
All submissions need to be sent to: email@example.com
5th Grade Parents
A few weeks ago, Counselors from West Frederick Middle School visited students at their schools to give them information on registration at West Frederick Middle School for the 2020-2021 school year. This information included a presentation and a Registration Sheet. The presentation that your child saw can be found at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1d0k4usPtloS2c4n6auszjKXUvjT4-1xRKfQfI2gHJBI/edit#slide=id.p
Create a new presentation and edit with others at the same time. Get stuff done with or without an internet connection. Use Slides to edit PowerPoint files. Free from Google.
This presentation includes helpful information on preparing your child for middle school. We are now asking that instead of returning Registration sheets, families complete the Google form below by Wednesday, April 8, 2020 so that we can continue to plan for the 2020-2021 school year. We understand that you may have questions regarding this process. Feel free to email your child's 6th grade School Counselor at WFMS, Mary Johnson at MaryP.Johnson@fcps with any questions or concerns.
Access to WI-FI Resources
- Comcast Xfinity Free WiFi network
- Comcast Xfinity has turned on a Wi-Fi sub-network on all of their home/business internet routers and made it free to access for anyone within range.
- Comcast removed data plan caps for 60 days, making all connections unlimited.
- Frozen disconnects and lat fees
- Comcast Internet Essential Program
- Two free months for families that apply before April 30th, 2020
- Network speed performance increased
- Comcast is waiving the outstanding debt satisfaction requirement for Households with debt owed to Comcast for applications approved prior to May 13th, 2020
- Verizon Wireless
- Waving new line activation fees, late fees, and service terminations through May 13th, 2020
- Free international calling until April 30th, 2020
- Additional 15GB of mobile hotspot data has been added for all customers and data plans.
- All smartphone data plans are unlimited through May 13th, 2020
- All smartphone hotpot plans can add an additional 10GB per month for two months free
- Free unlimited international calling
- AT&T wireless
- All late fees for wireless, home phone and broadband residential customers are waived until May 13, 2020
- Domestic wireless plan overage charges for data, voice and text for residential customers are waived until May 13, 2020
Whittier Elementary School PTA