Chapter 33: Asia
Russia, India, China, Japan
- Zakuska- (appetizers) , such as smoked salmon, pickled herring, fish in aspic, and sliced cold meats, begin many Russian meals.
- Caviar- is the processed, salted roe (eggs) of large fish.
- Beef stroganoff- is made with tender strips of beef, mushrooms, and seasoned sour cream sauce.
- Chapatis- a flat bread.
- Korma- is the second major cooking technique.
- Curry- is a variation of a word meaning sauce.
- Wok- looks like a metal bowl with sloping sides.
- Congee- a thick porridge made from from rice or barley.
- Chopsticks- are eating utensils for all dishes expect soup and finger foods.
- Tofu- is a custardlike cake made from soybeans.
- Gohan- which means rice in Japan.
- Sukiyaki- is a popular Japanese dish that combines two cooking methods - nimono and nabemono (dishes cooked at the table).