South Lebanon Elementary
Fifth Avenue Falcons November 2020
As we move into the 2nd marking period I want to remind everyone that parent/teacher conferences will be held at the end of the month. If you have not yet signed up for a conference time, please use the link below. The link will close on Monday, November 9, 2020. Conferences will be held in person with an option to attend virtually. If you would like to attend virtually, you must sign up for a time then contact your child's teacher to let them know that you would like a virtual conference.
In closing, as we transition into the colder months of the year, please ensure that your child dresses for the weather. The students will continue to have outdoor recess throughout the winter months.
Mark D. Brown, Principal
Please remember to sign up for your child's parent teacher conference. Click the link to sign up on line. The Parent Teacher conference website closes on Monday, November 9th at 7 p.m.
October Students of the Month
Student Pickup and Drop Off
For those that arrive early for pickup at the end of the day, we ask that you not block the handicap spaces at the front of the school so that our families and students in wheelchairs have access to these spaces. Our staff will direct you to pull forward when we are ready to begin dismissal.
I want to also remind you to continue to enter and exit off of Evergreen and Endress road during arrival and dismissal. This prevents traffic from blocking our bus lanes and Rte. 897. At the end of the day we will allow traffic to exit on 897 when the line clears the intersection.
We Are Hiring!
Learning Facilitator Connection, Matt Davis
Do you ever find yourself asking your child about school and all you get back is something like, “OK” or “Fine”? I know that conversations with my own fifth grader about school is sometimes a challenge and getting more out of him than short answers feels like pulling teeth. Sometimes it takes a fresh question about school to get the ball rolling.
To have a more productive conversation about school, I try to move away from, “How was school today?” and have started asking different kinds of questions such as, “What’s the coolest thing you did today?” It doesn’t always work out the way that I hope, but a different conversation starter usually can get us moving in a positive direction. Other examples of conversation starters include:
· “What made you laugh today?”
· “What did you do during your special?”
· “What was the most creative thing you did today?”
· “Pretend you are the teacher. How would you describe the day?”
· “Tell me what you learned today that you would like to know more about.”
News from the Nurse's Office
State mandate dentals for grades K and 3 and physicals for grade K are due. If you have not turned your child’s dental or physical forms in to the nurse's office please send them in ASAP.
School physical and school dental dates will be determined at a later time and notification will be sent to the parent of the student in need of dental and physical requirement.
Please call the nurse's office with any questions.
South Lebanon PTP
Thanks to everyone who participated in our Virtual Fun Run! Although this event didn’t go as originally planned, we were happy to see many of our students and families virtually.
Reminder of upcoming events:
Fall Gift Card Drive - October 26 - November 20th
Due to the pandemic we are unable to do our usual Fall Food Drive. Please consider helping South Lebanon families in need by donating money or gift cards to grocery stores or gas stations (cards in increments of $10). Checks payable to South Lebanon PTP. Please mark your envelopes: Gift Card Drive.
Spirit Wear Sale - November 14 - 30th
Support your school AND show your school spirit! Look for Spirit Wear info to be coming home soon. Orders are scheduled to arrive before Christmas...so think holiday gifts!
Gratitude Challenge - December 7th -11th
The PTP is holding a gratitude challenge in place of our RACE for education. We are asking our students to gather donations from family, friends and neighbors to aid the PTP in continuing to provide help to our teachers and students during these unprecedented times. Don't forget to ask if your company has a matching donation program. The information letter will come home the week of November 16th and all packets will be due back December 7th. The kids' gratitude activities will occur December 7-11th.
From the District Office:
1) Military Families are reminded to complete the survey sent via Skyward Message Center and email no later than Sunday, Nov. 1. You can also register for meals to be distributed at the Nov. 12 Veterans and Military Families “Drive of Honor” at the end of the survey. Veterans residing in the district are asked to call (717) 389-1810 by Nov. 1 to register for meals for the event.
2) Cedar Crest High School Drama presents the Fall Play, “"The Foreigner" Enjoy the play via Live Stream on the CCHSToday.com website: https://www.cchstoday.com/ November 19, 20 and 21.
3) “Fairy Tale Courtroom” - Cedar Crest Middle School Performing Arts will present their fall play in a virtual presentation, Saturday, Nov. 14. If you would like to view the play, please email email@example.com for information.
4) Thank an Educator: Recognize your student’s special teachers, staff members, or coaches with a Certificate of Appreciation by donating to the Falcon Foundation through the “Thank an Educator” program. Make a donation in an amount of your choosing by December 11th for certificate delivery the week of December 14th. Visit www.clsd.pa.us and select Falcon Foundation under the COMMUNITY tab menu.
5) The next meeting of the CLSD Board of School Directors is Monday, Nov. 16, 2020, 5:30 p.m., in the large group instruction room (LGI) at the high school. A work session will be held Monday, Nov. 9, 2020, 5:30 p.m., at the Educational Service Center, 105 E. Evergreen Rd. Both meetings are open to the public. Click on the link on the District website to register to attend either meeting.
6) Online Community Bulletin Board: Check the online Community Bulletin Board regularly for information about upcoming events, activities and fundraisers throughout the CLSD community (Click on the “COMMUNITY” tab on the District website: www.clsd.k12.pa.us, or Look under the “SERVICES” tab on any CLSD school page.) Currently, you can find out about sports activities for the participant and spectator … Scouting opportunities … Student club Fundraisers ... community events & activities ... and many more items of possible interest!
7) Inclement Weather Procedures & Skylert Notification System: The decision to close school or open two hours later will be announced before 7:00 AM on the CLSD Home page, www.clsd.k12.pa.us, as well as on the Cornwall-Lebanon School District Facebook and Twitter pages (@CLSD_Schools), and on local radio and TV stations. The Skylert automated notification system also will be used to contact parents/guardians during the school day in the event of a building power failure, hazardous situation, or an early dismissal. Please review the important information that is printed inside the front cover of the CLSD 2019-20 Calendar of Events. The District website is the first place important information is posted. Please, do not contact school or District offices in the case of these events as it is important for our phone lines to be available for emergency communications.
Remember, the Skylert notification system is only as accurate as the information you have provided to the District. Be sure your phone and email settings allow (does not Block) these three numbers: (717) 272-2031, (717) 272-2036, and (717) 389-1810, and emails from addresses ending in @clsd.k12.pa.us. Please review your information in Skylert, as well, and make any updates (for general information sharing, including school closings):
1. Login to your Skyward account.
2. Click the word “Skylert” in the left menu.
3. Fill-in and check or uncheck your desired settings.
4. Click “SAVE” in the upper right side of the page when you are done.
8) Calendar Information:
· Wednesday, Nov. 4 – 1st Marking Period Ends
· Friday, Nov. 6, 2020 – Act 80 Day (No School for Students; Professional Development for staff members)
· Thursday, Nov. 12 – Report Cards available online beginning this day (all grade levels)
Monday & Tuesday, Nov. 23 & 24 – No School for Elementary and Middle School Students: Parent-Teacher Conferences; CCHS is in Session both days
· Wednesday, Nov. 25 through Monday, Nov. 30 – Thanksgiving Break