Social Studies Leadership Meetings
K-5 Elementary Teachers 18-19
Why? and What?
The purpose of the Social Studies Teacher Leadership Meetings is to continue the development of a diverse group of educators interested in building capacity to collaborate, grow, and lead in order to improve student achievement in Social Studies.
Sounds cliche-like, doesn't it? Well, it might be, but it captures exactly what we are trying to accomplish.
If you attended before, then you know what to expect and also know the latest and greatest will be included, as well as continuing the things from which many of you benefited, like the extended time to collaborate with educators from other districts in the same grade level.
If you have not attended, then consider what you will receive:
- Ways to implement the Essential Literacy Practices
- Q & A session with State Social Studies Assessment Consultant Scott Koenig
- Q & A session with Genesee and Lapeer ISD Research, Evaluation, and Assessment Consultant Dr. David Treder
- Latest information and happenings in Social Studies in MI and across the country
- Opportunity to collaborative on development on K-5 trade book lesson guides
- Access to a Social Studies Resource folder in Google Drive with a plethora of resources
- Updates and ideas related to teacher evaluation
- Collaborative research and development time wth educators from same grade level
- Brief lessons on being an effective educational leader
- The opportunity to focus on improving to meet the goals you have set for the year
New for 18-19
- Brief summary
- Purpose for using the text
- Student friendly definitions
- The most important, grade-level appropriate content
- The standard(s) alignment
- Specific disciplinary literacy options
- How it might be used with Essential Practices in Literacy
During the 18-19 school year we will dedicate time to doing this work and the collective product will be shared.
Elementary teachers who are passionate about teaching students and advancing Social Studies Education are invited to attend.
The meetings are designed to equip elementary educators with the knowledge and skills needed to improve Social Studies instruction. During these sessions which will be a combination of professional development and meeting time, educators will learn about the latest social studies information and share effective instructional practices.
Lunch is on your own, there is no cost, but pre-registration is required.
Time spent during these meetings is designed to increase clarity of understanding and application of effective social studies education so that all students experience high achievement.
What to Bring With You
- Your own device; however, one can be provided if needed
- Lunch or money to buy food from local restaurants
- Your PIC number to fill out form to earn up to 16.5 SCHECHs