January 23, 2017
FEATURED STAFF MEMBER OF THE WEEK--5 QUICK FACTS
1. I have been married to Mark, who spotted me while I was student-teaching across the hall from him and just couldn't resist, for 23 years. I have one stepson, Caleb (27) and two children that I cooked: Emilie (20) and Craig (17).
2. I started at Central Elem in 3rd grade, went to Hollenbeck Jr. High, and graduated from "the" Howell when it was the only high school in the district. All of my kids are, or soon will be, Howell graduates too. Combine that with my 20 years of teaching, and I have been in the district for 39 years.
3. When I was younger, I had the opportunity to travel A LOT thanks to my travel agent grandma. Some of the places I've been are Italy, England, Germany, Denmark, Russia, and Kenya among others.
4. My whole family is very competitive. (Some people even say blood-thirsty on game nights.) I think that's part of why I love watching sports as much as I do.
5. When I was in college, one of my part time jobs was delivering singing telegrams for birthdays and anniversaries. One of my costumes was dancing bag-lady.
Next up: Mike Green
We are not making any changes at this time to the end date for 3rd quarter based on the 12/19 snow day and the shift in the end of 2nd quarter for the high schools and Saeger Middle.
Q1: 41 days
Q2: 43 days – 1 snow day + 2 days (review + finals) = 44 days
Q3: 43 days – 2 days (review + finals) = 41 days
Q4: 42 days
With the two-day delay for the start of 3rd quarter, both quarters are only one day apart now (just flipped from the one day apart originally). Given that and that this change was only for 5 of the schools, we are not making any changes to the end date of 3rd quarter now.
Knights @ 90: Our most recent update says 88.23% of FHN students are attending 90% of the time. In order to help support your efforts in talking to and encouraging students to improve their attendance, there are a few resources listed below. The first few are links to tools on attendanceworks.org. The last link is to some google slides with images/memes you can display in class to inform/encourage your students. Thanks.
Google Slides w/ Attendance Info:
There is an Attendance Committee meeting in the Learning Commons at 2:30 on Thursday 1/26.
Thank you to all who attended the Staff Chats on the 19th. We appreciate your continued effort and willingness to participate in discussions. We came away with some great ideas and things to consider as we move forward.
Wednesday, January 25th
Coffee and Donuts in the LC
Monday, January 23rd
Will meet after the District Staff Chat in the LC
If a student is assigned ISAP and you need them in class for a lab or specific activity, please use the FHN ISAP email to communicate this. In addition, these students will need to be escorted to and from your classroom.
The technology committee met this past week.
• Suggestions for next Lunch and Learn
• Updates from IT and ITS
• Week of Coding 2/6-2/10-- this is a week-long event focused on bringing an awareness to coding and giving students the opportunity to experience coding
• Aaron Manfull will be presenting suggestions for the Week of Code on 2/3
• Sign up by clicking on the following link: https://docs.google.com/a/g.fhsdschools.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc0JKSqs9AiHCEay7srCQ2G4p9fCc9rBkotLuSUJYDyfYUYiw/viewform
STAFF COMMITMENTS--TO BE REVISED
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
- building positive relationships with students and staff members.
- listening to the concerns of others and by helping to problem solve those issues.
- helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
- being open-minded to new ideas.
- addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
- giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
- counting tardies consistently.
AP TEACHER MEETING
Thursday, Jan. 19th, 2:30pm
AP Teacher Meeting
We will be meeting to discuss the AP registration season quickly approaching (schedules, deadlines, student circumstances, funding, pre-administration, etc)