Boone Meadow Friday Flyer
October 23, 2020
Dear Boone Meadow Families -
We've had a successful return to school following fall break. We had 23 students new to the schoolhouse this week, and we are excited to have them join us as so many experiences and opportunities to learn are occurring throughout the school.
Please note the following items:
CoVID testing: Which tests are acceptable? The only negative result that will allow a child/staff member back into school is a PCR. (A negative rapid antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 is not acceptable for a return to school.) More information located below.
Conferences/EDay on November 2nd - Student conferences will be held on Monday, November 2nd. Please note the following important components to the day.
- November 2nd will be an Eday for students. So that teachers will be able to meet with families, content/modules will be published for students to access through Canvas, our learning management system.
- Conferences will be held via Zoom/virtually. Due to mitigation requirements, we can not hold in-person family conferences.
- Conferences will primarily be student-led so that they are given the opportunity to communicate their strengths and areas to strengthen. Student-led conferences align with our ZCS district priorities of student agency and empowerment. Concerns that need to be discussed privately should be ongoing throughout the school year as needs or concerns arise, and communication should remain fluid throughout the year. Please do not hesitate to stay in ongoing communication with your child's teacher.
- Classroom teachers will schedule specific times with families for conferences.
End of Quarter 1 Student Progress Reports (report cards) will be available to families for access in PowerSchool on Tuesday, October 27th.
Dine for Dollars - All day today is "Dine for Dollars" hosted by Hot Box Pizza. 20% of all (pick up & delivery) sales go back to Boone Meadow PTO. Simply mention BME PTO when placing your order. (more information regarding PTO/Dine for Dollars is included below)
Veterans' Day Celebration - This has always been a major highlight of the school year in Zionsville, and in light of the current CoVID restrictions/pandemic, we will be taking a different approach this year. We will not be hosting a live celebration as we have in years past, but we are working on a way to celebrate our Veterans. Stay tuned for more information.
Online Book Fair - This fall's book fair will be held online from November 2nd through November 16th. More information to come soon.
Tom Hundley, Principal
There is some new information on our radar which was confirmed through a conversation with the Boone County Health Department this past week. We want families informed so they can make the best decision for your respective family members.
Some COVID tests are not currently accepted by the Department of Health for return to school/work –
- The only negative result that will allow a child/staff member back into school is a PCR. (Per IN Dept of Health and Boone County Health Department, a negative rapid antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 is not acceptable for a return to school.)
- Schools can accept any antigen test if it comes back positive---We will treat as a positive case (Through this process, we will inform you of isolation/quarantine protocols as required by the state and county health departments.)
- If a family/household member has a PCR antigen test that comes back negative and the individual has no symptoms, then no other testing is necessary. Students can return to school.
- If symptomatic and rapid antigen comes back negative then a follow up PCR test is required due to the high rate of false negatives in the rapid antigen test.
Important NOTE: * If an individual has had a close contact with a positive COVID case, a negative test cannot shorten the quarantine period.
Boone Meadow PTO Dine for Dollars
All day, today, Friday, October 23rd Hot Box Pizza - Mention the flyer when ordering in person or over the phone, or use the code GIVEBACK when ordering online to help us (BME PTO) earn 20% of the total sales!
Our next dine for dollars is a very special event with Jill's Cookies! If you've never had Jill's Cookies, you need to try them, the oatmeal butterscotch are my personal favorite! Jill will be taking pre-orders starting on Monday, October 26th thru November 5th via Facebook messenger to Jill's Cookies or text 317-446-7022 use the code BMEPTO when placing your order. Orders will be available for pick up from November 4th thru the 6th. And, yes, you can order extra for the upcoming holidays and freeze them!
The next opportunity to dine to donate will be with City BBQ on "Why Cook Wednesday?", all day, November 18th.
More upcoming events include:
- Soupremacy, (just in time for those cold winter nights)
- Noble Romans and
- Panda Express.
Stay tuned for more information and feel free to reach out to me, if you have any suggestions or if you own a business and you'd like to work with us. Thank you for your support and for helping to make Dine for Dollars a success!
Laura Santos, PTO Member
Local Trick or Treating Information:
Trick-or-Treating in Zionsville
The Town of Zionsville will not be posting official Trick-or-Treat hours this year.
Due to the pandemic and the public health implications of trick-or-treating, the Town of Zionsville is referring people to the Boone County Health Department’s recommendations to observe CDC’s guidelines. The CDC has labeled traditional trick-or-treating (where treats are handed to children who go door to door) as a higher risk activity. The CDC recommends one-way trick-or-treating as a moderate risk activity which includes individually wrapped goodie bags lined up outside (end of the driveway or edge of the yard) for families to grab and go while continuing to social distance (washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after preparing bags).
The CDC lists a number of moderate and lower risk Halloween activities on their website here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays.html#halloween.
If you would like to contact the Boone County Health Department, contact information is posted here: https://boonecounty.in.gov/Offices/health-department.
Whitestown Trick or Treat:
Whitestown offered a link with detailed info and also there will be an outdoor trick-or-treat event this Saturday in addition to official trick-or-treat hours from 6-9 p.m. on October 31.
Upcoming Events & Important Info
October 23 - Picture Retake Day; Dine for Dollars (Hot Box Pizza - Dine for Dollars all day)
October 27 - Student Progress Reports (report cards) available for view in PowerSchool
November 2 - Student Conferences (Eday for students)
November 3 - Election Day
November 4-6 - Jill's Cookies (Dine for Dollars - all day)
November 11 - Veterans' Day
November 25-27- Thanksgiving Break
December 10 - Hannakah begins
December 18 - End of Qtr 2; Celebrate with dinner from City BBQ (all day, Dine for Dollars)
December 21 - January 1 - Winter Break
January 18 - MLK Jr. Day (no school)
January 19 - No School
February 12 - Chinese New Year
February 14 - Valentine's Day
February 15 - Presidents Day - No School
February 17 - Ash Wednesday
March 12 - End of Quarter 3
March 14 - Daylight Savings Time
March 17 - St. Patrick's Day
March 28 - Palm Sunday/Passover
April 2 - April 9 - Spring Break
April 2 - Good Friday
April 4 - Easter
April 13 - Ramadan Starts
April 15 - ZWest Music visit to BME
May 5 - Cinco de Mayo
May 13 - Eid
May 26 - Last day of school
May 27 - Teacher work day
May 31 - Memorial Day
ZCS and the Zionsville Diversity Coalition partnered to create a list of mentor texts that support our elementary adopted literacy curriculum. Books donated will be placed in our elementary classrooms for teachers to use and to offer our students mirrors (seeing themselves), windows (seeing others), and doors (opportunities to learn about differences) because in ZCS, EVERYONE BELONGS!
You can utilize School Pay to pay for textbook rentals and to fund lunch accounts. Information about School Pay as well as additional lunch details, such as the monthly menu, can be found on the Food Services website.