Curriculum Proposal for Head Start
Harrison County Head Start
Key Stakeholders for the new Integrative Curriculum
Tracking Process and Monitoring Methods for the new Integrative Curriculum
The Present Curriculum and the New Curriculum
Our goal is to add the program Move to Learn and curriculum mapping into the present curriculum. Move to Learn is designed to help teachers raise student fitness levels and, in turn, raise student achievement (Move to Learn). Curriculum mapping, when done effectively, adds teacher collaboration and communication. Curriculum mapping brings teachers and their ideas together as one to develop a curriculum that suites their students the best (Keys to Curriculum Mapping, 2008).
Our objective is to merge the present curriculum and the new curriculum together to make a new integrative curriculum. The Common Core Curriculum is working in Head Start and so it the version of the Te Whariki. We wanted to keep these programs but add some creativity to it. That is where Move to Learn comes in. We can teach children the concepts needed through music and dance. With curriculum mapping, we can come together to reflect on the new curriculum and make changes if necessary.
Support and Collaboration
- Teachers will demonstrate curriculum mapping and team collaboration.
- Teachers will also show that all students entering into kindergarten can demonstrate kindergarten ready skills.
- Teachers will be able to create creative but rigorous lesson plans according to the new curriculum.
- At least 70% of teachers will be able to demonstrate curriculum mapping and team collaboration.
- At least 65% of students entering kindergarten will be able to demonstrate kindergarten ready skills.
- At least 70% of teachers will be able to create creative but rigorous lesson plans with little support.
- The teachers will be able to demonstrate curriculum mapping.
- The teacher will be able to communicate and collaborate with other teachers on lesson plans and the new curriculum.
- The teacher will be able to self reflect on activities that worked in the classroom and activities that did not work in the classroom.
- The teacher will be able to track, monitor and access the child's progress using Teaching Strategies GOLD.
Brewerton, M. (1996). Te Whariki: National Early Childhood Curriculum Guidelines and Its Relationship with the New Zealand Curriculum for Schools.
Common Core State Standards Initiative. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.corestandards.org/about-the-standards/frequently-asked-questions/
VIDEO (2008). Keys to curriculum mapping. Academic Video Online
Move to Learn. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.movetolearnms.org/
Teaching Strategies GOLD online. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://shop.teachingstrategies.com/page/GOLD-assessment-online.cfm