Hoover Elementary School
Staff E-Blast 05.15.2016
Thank you for a wonderful Open House! It was heartwarming to see the looks of pride on the faces of the students and families as they showcased their achievements! Thanks for all that you did to make this night a huge success!
WEEK AT A GLANCE
Monday, May 16
- Spring MAP Testing Begins
- Kindergarten Screening
- Grade 5 Math Acceleration (CBA) Testing: 8:00-1:00PM at JES
- Gifted Grade Level Meeting (Grades 4 & 5): 3:45PM in Hoover Library
- PTA Meeting: 7:00 in Cafeteria
Tuesday, May 17
- Kindergarten Screening
- Counseling Department Meeting: 3:30PM
- Gifted Grade Level Meeting (Grades 2 & 3): 3:45PM in Hoover Library
Wednesday, May 18
- Breakfast with Someone Special: 8:00AM
- Grade 4 Fire Safety Trailer: 1:00-2:30PM
Thursday, May 19
- Grade K Data Meeting: 8:00AM in Conference Room
Friday, May 20
- Hoover Spirit Day: Movie Character Day (Dress like your favorite movie character. Please be mindful of student safety and avoid wearing masks, bringing look-alike weapons, and other props that may be disruptive.)
Hoover is slated to have field repair work completed this spring. With the rain this past week, our field work continues to be delayed. Once I have received word from the Facilities Department, I will alert you so that you can make any changes necessary to your schedule.
Field Trip Reminder
With field trip season upon us, please keep the following important logistical items in mind:
- Remember to keep the Health Office informed of the date and time that you will be out of the building, so that they can prepare medications.
- Be sure to confirm that all parent chaperones have the appropriate clearances (PA Criminal History, Child Abuse, and FBI Fingerprinting/10-Year Resident Affidavit) on file with the school district at least five (5) days in advance of your trip.
- Before boarding the bus, please leave a copy of the permission forms in the Main Office.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to see me. Thanks!
- May 6th: Sports Fan Day
- May 13th: Wacky Hair Day
- May 20th: Movie Character Day
- May 27th: PJ Day
These days were planned by the students who won the "Assistant Principal for the Day" raffle earlier this year. As opposed to Hat Day, these spirit days are not a fundraiser. All students (and staff) are invited to participate, showcasing our pride for Hoover and to celebrate a great school year together! Please see me if you have any questions!
ROTATING DUTY SCHEDULE
Attendance: Please be careful when entering your attendance in the morning and after lunch. We need to be sure that we are marking absences for the correct student(s). With the new Safe Walk system, families receive automated phone calls to confirm absences. We want to make every effort to avoid these calls going to families in error.
Arrival: Please remember to collect your students from the blacktop, no later than 8:28AM. It is important to be timely, as our aides and teachers on duty need to be in their classrooms by 8:30AM as well. Thanks for your cooperation!
Duty: Please remember to work together to ensure that your designated responsibilities are covered, in the event that you cannot be there. This includes lunch duty, recess duty, pick-up or drop-off, dismissals from school, entrance into school, Go-Zone, etc. Please communicate with each other when things come up on your personal schedule that are unplanned. Otherwise, please make sure you are on time for your scheduled duty responsibilities. Please see me if you have questions or concerns.
Playground Rules: Please remind students of the playground rules and expectations below. Please be attentive to dangerous games or behavior. Also, please be alert to any visible hazards and report them to the office.
Playground Rules and Expectations
Keep your Hands, Feet and Body to Yourself
Be Kind to Others, Play Fairly and Include Others
Use Equipment Safely
Play in Safe Areas
Copying: Please try, as much as possible, to do ALL copying in house
Personal Days: Please remember that I can only approve a given number of personal days per day in the building. Personal days are requested through AESOP, verified with Cheryl, and then approved.
Outdoor Recess: Please help to escort students to the playground and wait for the monitors to arrive. For the safety of our students, it is critical that they are not left unattended on the playground. Monitors, please make every effort to get to your posts as quickly as possible.
Keys: Please remember to leave the key to your classroom in your mailbox before leaving for the day, so that we can access your room in the event that you are not able to return the following day.
Announcements: If you have any staff news or announcements, and would like to share, please email me. I will place it in our next e-blast.
Maintenance Work Orders
Please continue to complete maintenance requests using the Work Order system on your MTLSD Homepage. If Gary cannot resolve the issue in-house, he will request support from central facilities. You will receive an email when the request is complete.
Behavior Management Resources
The Student Services Department created this Google site, which outlines Tier I and Tier II positive behavior interventions and supports (PBIS). These resources can be used by staff to help support students in the classroom.
This site provides a number of suggested interventions for behaviors students may present in the classroom, along with useful tools for tracking data.
This folder contains resources for teachers who have academic and/or other concerns about a particular student. You will find suggestions for Tier I interventions that can be used by teachers to support students in the classroom. Please be sure to contact families regarding your concerns.
Should students continue to have difficulty, even after introducing Tier I interventions, please contact Mary Perz to initiate the IST process. The flowchart below outlines the steps of the IST process.
Clicking on the flowchart to the right to view in larger size.
Technology for the Classroom
Animoto is an easy to navigate video maker that produces original videos from photos, video clips, and music. Available on the web or as an app for your smart phone, Animoto guides users through a simple, step-by-step process to create impressive multimedia presentations. Educators can now apply for a FREE Pro Level Account, allowing access to many additional features!
Remind101 provides a safe way for teachers to text message students and stay in touch with parents. It is 100% free and is used by over 200,000 teachers, students and parents to send millions of messages every month. Leverage the convenience and reach of communicating via text message, without breaking personal boundaries.
- Message your entire class of students or parents in seconds.
- Teachers never share their phone numbers, or collect the numbers of their students/ parents.
- Students and parents join by sending a text message. No computer needed.
- Unlimited subscribers * Unlimited text messages
- 100% free
- No ads, ever!
Monday, May 23
- Grade 1 Team Meeting: 8:00AM
- Gifted Grade Level Meeting (Grades K & 1): 3:45PM in Hoover Library
Tuesday, May 24
- Grade 2 Team Meeting: 8:00AM
Wednesday, May 25
- Grade 3 Team Meeting: 8:00AM
- Students (Grades 1-5) Dismissed at 12:00PM: Elementary Act 80 Day
Thursday, May 26
- Grade 4 Team Meeting: 8:00AM
- Hoover Band/Orchestra Concert (Staff & Students): 11:00AM in Gym
Friday, May 27
- Hoover Spirit Day: Pajama Day (students must wear shoes)
- Spring MAP Window Closes
Monday, May 30
- No School: Memorial Day Holiday
Tuesday, May 31
- Faculty Meeting: 8:00AM in Library
- Grade 5 Field Trip: JMS Visit
- Spring Sing Performance: 2:30PM in the Gym
Wednesday, June 1
- Last Day of Library Classes
- Grade 5 Field Trip: Lutherlyn
Thursday, June 2
- Grade 5 Field Trip: Lutherlyn
- Instrument Tryout: Grades 2-4 (Schedule TBD)
Friday, June 3
- Hoover Field Day: Grades 1-3 in AM and Grades 4-5 in PM