Welcome to 10th Grade World History
A little about myself!
What you and your child can expect this year
The primary objective is to prepare students to have the necessary skills for 11th grade and beyond. We will focus on academic skills such as writing, time management and inter-personal communication skills. Small and large group discussions are a daily part of classroom learning. So participation and engagement is greatly encouraged. We will regularly practice writing skills and learn how to build a better research paper. In-class "research" essays, participation, tests and projects make up a majority of your child's grade.
We have a lot to cover in World History and often have to move very quickly to cover all the material. Therefore if you feel your child is struggling please encourage them to see me for tutoring or email me so that I may assist them better in class. Throughout this course I hope to help your child:
- Demonstrate and strengthen their ability to write formal essays/research papers.
- Seek out creative ways to assess groups and cultures throughout history
- Compare, contrast, synthesize and analyze information
- Exercise critical thinking and communication skills through formal and informal discussions
This year we will cover...
The formation of early civilizations and how geography influences destinty
The relationships between religion and empire
How the legacies of Imperialism and conflict shaped our world
Homework, Tests and Research Papers
- Homework assignments must be completed by the scheduled due date unless noted otherwise. Late assignments are always accepted BUT with 5 point deduction after the first day.
- There will be an exam at the end of each unit. I will send your child home with packets at the start of each unit that we will gradually fill out throughout the unit. This will act as the main "study guide" however I will offer tutoring weekly and online collaborations once a week.
- We will have two research papers due by end of each semester. Your child will pick a topic within the first 6 weeks of each semester and we will have various checkpoints throughout the semester.
- Professional dress day- Dress like a professional on test days for 2 points added to the test.
- So you think you can teach?- Think of a new way to teach lesson to classmates 5 points for written plan, 10 points if actually taught and presented. (points added to current lowest grade)
- Research day!- Present your research paper in front of the class with a Q&A session. Possible 10 points added to research paper.
If you have any educational extra credit suggestions that you think your child would be interested in participating in please email me! I love suggestions and want to give each of my students an opportunity to excel and have fun while learning!