THE TROJAN TIMES
News for January 8 - January 15
MADE BY DIGITAL JOURNALISM STUDENTS
Written by Jaden Hancin, Will Kell, Jada McCollum, Skyilar Mitchell, Joseph Sandefur, Meadow Stowell, Kate Walden, Holly Yazdi, and Lillie Yazdi
A message from the Superintendent
What to do this weekend???
- Exploreum Science Center are hosting a Chocolate Exhibition. The Exhibition explores the rich natural and cultural history of one of the world’s favorite treats, tracing chocolate from its origin in the rainforest to its status as a global economic commodity. It is running now through Janiary 17.
Pre Ap- Compare and contrast movie and play
Lindsey: Finish reproduction system and virtual lab. Test Friday
Adv- quiz Thursday
Reg- Test Tuesday
Duke: latitude/longitude, pre test, webquest, NFL latitude/ longtiude activity, US map test 2
Majewski: Check moodle
Kinard: Chapter 24 digestion
Standard- The Giver
Advanced- A Wrinkle in Time
Holt: latitude/longitude, pre test, webquest, NFL latitude/ longtiude activity, US map test 2
Surrey: Rome. Quiz Tuesday.
White: Test on chapter 11
Algebra: Continue systems Chapter 6.
Pre: Continue geometry Chapter 6
Larisey: Ancient Rome
Benefield: Introduction to the to the periodic table. Kahoot quiz Tuesday.
Ap: Start enders game
Regular: Finish Freak the Mighty
Pre: Finishing volume
Art (Bittinger): Mrs. Bittinger is enjoying getting to know her students! Art students are doing a variety of successful activities. For one, students created an ink blob, used productive thinking, and wrote an original Haiku based on the found image.
21 Century Skills (Pearson): Discussing the digital footprint.
Peer Helpers (Blake): Working on Kindness Week. Chichi will take place on January 25-29.
Follow the DMS Peer Helpers on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram @dmspeerhelpers
Choir (Trawick): Auditions for the musical this week.
Band (Thomas): The field that was supposed to be on January 27-28 is postponed.
MEET MRS. VICTORIA PENDLEY
What else would you like to see with the stakeholders?
She would like to see a shorter school day, no uniforms, and more collaboration.
If you weren't a teacher what would you want to be?
Mrs. Pendley said she would've been an eye surgeon.
If you could go anywhere on summer break where would it be?
She said she would like to go to Africa.
Where did you go to college? What degrees do you have?
Mrs. Pendley went to Colombus School of Theology and got her Christian Degree of Theology, went to Georgia and got a business degree, and went to South Alabama and got an Elementary Degree, Special Ed Degree, and Gifted Degree.
How old were you when you decided to be a teacher?
She said she always knew that she was going to be a teacher but started teaching at age 30.
TSA: Begin discussing County Competition.
Yoga: Yoga on Wednesday until 4
Art Club: If you want to sign up for art club, forms are in Mrs. Bittinger's room. The first meeting is: January 26th from 3:15-5 P.M.
- What? The First Ever Daphne Middle School Winter Dance
- When? Saturday January 23, 2015 6 p.m - 9 p.m
- Where? Daphne Civic Center
- Dress code? Semi-formal party dresses for ladies and Sunday best for the gentlemen
- DMS STUDENTS ONLY
- Cost is $25 per student, which includes dinner and all refreshments.
- Tickets will be sold January 7th - January 15th
- Cost includes admission, professional DJ for your entertainment, door prizes, and a full dinner to include but not limited to: pulled pork sliders, mac and cheese cups, loaded mashed potatoes, chicken tenders, mini subs, fruit, veggies, cheese, dessert table, tea, punch, water and a hot chocolate bar.
- TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW! Ticket sales ends Friday, January 15.
- NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD THE WEEK OF THE DANCE.
- Tickets will be given out in homeroom on Friday, January 22.
- Please send money in with the bottom of letter in a sealed envelope labeled DMS PTSO WINTER DANCE!
Quote of the Week
The Kylie Jenner Lip Kit has been sky rocketing with sales and sold out in 1 minute online! It comes with 3 different colors. The kit provides a matte liquid lipstick and a lip liner in the color you want. She will restock the lipstick line next month.
Have you also heard about Hendall? That's right! Harry Styles + Kendall Jenner = Hendall. They are rumored to be together! One Direction band member Harry Styles and Kendall Jenner were seen in St. Barth's getting pretty cozy (and maybe kissing) this past weekend. Let's hope they're more than friends!
Zigi? What's Zigi? Zayn Malik + Gigi Hadid = Zigi! The hottest couple of the year by far. Former One Direction Band member Zayn Malik and Victoria's Secret model Gigi Hadid are dating! They really are inseparable as they were spending almost every weekend with each other. They really are goals!
Recipe of the week
Aunt Teen's Creamy Chocolate Fudge
Recipe by: Kelly Phillips
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ready In30 minutes
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine marshmallow cream, sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt. Bring to a full boil, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour in semisweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours, or until firm.
Song of the Week
Athlete of the Week
Congratulations to all 20 students who participated in the DMS Spelling Bee today! Our top 3 spellers were as follows: Bella Bowman, Lewis Bruce, Bella Lochrico. Coming in second place was Lewis Bruce, and the 2015-2016 DMS Spelling Bee Champion is Bella Lochrico. Bella will go on to compete in the county Spelling Bee on February 4th. Good Luck Bella!
The Social List
If your looking for some inspirational fitness posts to ring in the new year then @fitgirlvideos They post amazing videos for different workout's you could do!
If you want a good laugh at other peoples expense then @commonwhitegirl If you're someone with dry humor then this is the twitter account for you.
CARLEY'S WORDS OF WISDOM
- In order to be great…you have to have self discipline, positive attitude, drive/determination, and goals in order to be GREAT.
- In order to accomplish your goals…the previous concepts/ideas must be applied daily. When you have a set back, you must remain positive and patient to overcome the obstacle/wall.
- In order to have a positive attitude…place yourself around others who put off a positive vibe. When something that happens that makes you want to have a negative attitude, don't talk back/argue with the teacher or student and remove yourself from the situation.