March Huskie Howl
March 1, 2023
MARCH HUSKIE HOWL
NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
We have a lot to look forward to this month. We are so excited to have our Literacy night and Parent Teacher Conferences!!
Did you know that Shadow Butte Elementary is a Title I School? Here are a few facts about Title I schools.
What is a Title I school?
Title I is a federal law that provides federal funds to help meet the educational needs of low-achieving students in high-poverty schools. Shadow Butte is identified as a Schoolwide Title I School.
Although schools are eligible for Title I funding based on poverty, the selection process for providing Title I services to students is not based on low-income.
Services are based entirely on students who are struggling in reading and math.
What does Title I support look like at Shadow Butte?
--In class support by the teacher or a paraprofessional
--Pull out support by the teacher or a paraprofessional
--Family and community events
--Training for teachers and paraprofessionals on curriculum and teaching strategies.
I will be available during Parent Teacher Conferences, let me know if you want to chat! You can always set up an appointment too!
- Principal Christina Nava
UPCOMING EVENTS / CALENDAR
March 2 - "Fox in Sox" day. Wear Crazy Socks
March 3 - "Cat in the Hat" day. Wear your favorite hat!
March 3 - Literacy Night 5:30 - 7:30pm
March 10 - Rec Day
March 13 - PTO meeting @5:30 in the Library
March 15 & 16 - NO SCHOOL - Parent Teacher Conferences
March 17 - NO SCHOOL
March 20 - 24 - NO SCHOOL, Spring Break
March 31 - Classroom Birthday Celebration for March
LOOKING AHEAD ...
April 10 - *Calendar Change* - Regular School Day
April 11 - KINDERGARTEN - NO SCHOOL
April 11 - Kindergarten Registration for '23 - '24 School Year
REC DAY - March 10
Rec Day is coming up March 10th from 2:15-3:15 pm. This is an opportunity to reward our students for all the great work they do everyday at our school.
Rec Day will be split into 2 sessions. Each classroom will have different activities/games that the students can choose to go in for each session.
For a student to qualify to participate in Rec Day they must not have any missing assignments by March 8th and must not have 3 qualifying behavior referrals (strike, ticket office referrals) from Monday 2/6 until Rec Day on 3/10.
If a student has 3 behavior referrals they will miss the 1st session. If a student has missing assignments they will miss the 2nd session and have a study hall to help make those up.
Thanks for your support in teaching our students to be Responsible, Respectful, Honest and Safe.
Parent Teacher Conferences Sign Up March 15 & 16
We are excited to visit with you about your student’s progress. Use the links to sign up for a 15 minute Parent Teacher Conference. Do you have multiple students in our school? Click on each teacher to set up your individual meetings. Parents, make sure you are in Mountain Standard Time when booking your appointment.
Spring 2023 Parent/Teacher Conferences
Shadow Butte Elementary Spring Parent Teacher Conference Sign up March 15th & 16th, 2023 We are excited to visit with you about your student's progress. Use the links to sign up for a 15 minute Parent Teacher Conference. Do you have multiple students in our school? Click on each teacher to ...
ASK YOUR STUDENT...
DID YOU KNOW?
Filling out the Free & Reduced Lunch Application gives our school a better chance of qualifying for grants. Some grants we currently have are, the Fruit & Vegetable Snack Program, After School Programs and Small Group Instruction.
We value your feedback!
At Shadow Butte Elementary, we are about doing our best to support students, staff and families.
Let us know the things that you love and any areas that you want us to improve!
Parent Input Needed
We need one parent that has a K-2 child and one parent that has a 3-5 student who would like to be involved in our monthly leadership team meetings at the school.
Leadership team is a committee in the school who helps makes decisions on schoolwide concerns, procedures, and systems. We value your input and would love to have parent involvement on this front!
If this is something that interests you please reach out to Dr. Nava at firstname.lastname@example.org
These meetings are once a month from 3:15pm-4:00pm. The dates are: March 29, April 26, and May 17.
Be a Voter!
- If there are changes on how your children will be going home at the end of the day, those changes must be called into the office at 208-365-0877 by 3:15 pm and on Wednesdays by 1:45 pm. Please plan ahead because it disrupts the process of release time when we pull students from the bus line if they are already there.
Shadow Butte Elementary School wants our students to be safe at school. To ensure safety, adult supervision is provided from 8:35 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the playground, bus area and inside the school. The students are the parents’ responsibility at all other times. If you are dropping off your child before this unsupervised time, please know that we do not have staff available to watch your child. If you can make arrangements to drop off children after 8:35, that would be greatly appreciated.
ECO WORLD DONATION BIN
Donate your gently used clothes and shoes to the Collection Bin that is located in the Southeast Corner of the Visitor Parking Lot. ECO World will be donating the items to local nonprofits. Our school will receive .04 cents per pound of the items that are donated.
NOTE FROM THE SCHOOL NURSE
Please reinforce with your child to take these simple steps to help slow the spread of germs that cause respiratory illness, like the flu:
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or their inner elbow.
- Wash hands often with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
- If your child has a respiratory illness, like the flu, limit contact with others as much as possible to help prevent spreading illness. Keep your child home for at least 24 hours after the fever is gone, without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.
NOTE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR
NOTE FROM THE LIBRARY
Roaring Readers is close to an end! If you are working on earning your Roaring Springs tickets please turn in your form by MARCH 14th. This is a change from the form as the 15th is an online day. Late submissions will not be accepted as we will be off for spring break following the due date.
There will be no March Reading Club sent home, be on the look out for the next reading incentive from the Boise Hawks! More information will be sent home.
Shadow Butte Library
Sign up Today for the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. A Parent Portal Account will give you access to pay for Lunches Online, view Student Attendance, view Student Grades (4th and 5th Grades), and receive School Correspondence. Call the School Office if you need assistance with getting logged into your parent portal.
- Email the PTO at email@example.com with any curiosities or suggestions you have.
- Stay up-to-date with PTO volunteer opportunities and event reminders on our social platforms.
- Sign up to receive text messages from the PTO for events, activities, reminders, and more!
- Check out our dedicated page on the Shadow Butte website as a resource for getting involved.
Check back later!
NEXT PTO MEETING MARCH 13TH @ 5:30 PM 💬
Join us for the next PTO meeting in the Shadow Butte library. Come in-person, or join virtually through Google Meet. All parents who attend the meeting (virtually or in-person) are entered to win a $10 eGift card!
Recap from February's Meeting:
Two bathrooms have been approved for art murals to increase morale and create a fun atmosphere for our students. The painting is tentatively scheduled to be completed during Spring Break.
5th Grade Celebration. Information was sent out to parents regarding plans to host a 5th grade celebration to promote moving on to the middle school. The event will be held May 24th @ 6:30 PM in the Shadow Butte gym. An afternoon assembly rehearsal will take place on May 24th for parents who cannot attend during the evening.
Penny Wars is in full swing! You can send your child with change until March 3rd. So far, the PTO has raised $582.76 from all of the contributions! Kinder is currently in first place! Flower Power online ordering for the seed & bulb fundraiser will run from March 27-April 28th. Information will be coming home in folders the Friday before Spring Break.
Our carnival theme Literacy Night will be held March 3rd from 5:30-7:30 PM. Free ice cream will be served! The PTO will be manning a fun photo booth with props and a carnival backdrop. Superintendent Craig Woods will be on-site during Lit Night to answer any questions parents have regarding the 2023 Emmett School District Operational Levy.
Breakfast with Buddies
Breakfast with Buddies, formally Donuts with Dad & Muffins with Mom, will be held on April 28th from 7:30 AM-8:15 AM in the Shadow Butte cafeteria.
Conference Food Assistance
The PTO team will create a signup form with items needed for a taco bar to provide to our teachers for conferences on March 15th. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080448A9A823A1FB6-teacher
The PTO is researching options to offer Huskie spirit gear to sell at Shadow Butte. We are looking into offering t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, water bottles, etc.
Congratulations to parent, Katrina B., who won a $10 eGift card!
Penny Wars (Ends 3/3)
How it Works:
- Penny Wars is a competition between all the grades through a change drive (proceeds go back to the SB PTO).
- Labeled jugs will be in the foyer of the school labeled by the class grades.
- Each penny is worth +1 point. Dollar bills also count towards the overall amount raised.
- Silver coins or paper bills are worth negative points according to their value. These are put in the jars of other classes with the goal of neutralizing the points they gained from their pennies, i.e. quarter = -25 points! During the war and at the end, the PTO adds up how many pennies are in each jar, and then subtract the value of silver coins in the same jar.
- The class with the highest total points after the silver coins have been subtracted is deemed the winner.
- The winning class will get an ice cream party on March 10th.
Flower Power (Online Ordering 3/27-4/28)
How it Works:
- We will have a personalized website (coming soon) that you can direct your customers to for their orders
- There are over 60 items to choose from (bulbs, seeds, and roots)
- The PTO will profit 50% of the sale proceeds
- All orders are shipped directly to the customers
- Orders will not start shipping until the end of March
- The top three sellers will get prizes (TBD)
- This fundraiser will help raise funds for field day bounce houses