Courage: Facing Adversity
For Grades 6 – 8
Our Project Overview
This unit focuses on finding the courage to face adversity and uses Freak the Mighty (Philbrick, 1993) as the central text. The outcomes of this unit will encourage students to stand up for what they believe and empower them to face adversity as it relates to disabilities, difficulties, or diversity. Using Freak the Mighty as the central text, students explore medieval times, technology, bullying and bravery in whole class, small group, and individual settings. Evaluation will be dependent on the depth of understanding conveyed on all big ideas in writing and through visual/graphic display or using multimedia. The outcomes of this unit encourage students take a stand against bullying within their school and find ways that courage can be shown in their lives.
The overall goals for this unit are as follows:
· Students will understand how the characteristics of courage relate to their own lives and the world.
· Students will show evidence of author’s differing viewpoints.
· Students will empathize with and understand overcoming disabilities.
· Students will find examples of and understand how technology impacts their lives.
· Students will use technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity.
· Students will use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information from a variety of sources.
· Students will acquire background knowledge by conducting research on disabilities, bullying, technology, and diversity.
Technology: Presentation Tools: So many tools…what to choose?
Picktochart: Create Infographic: Facts About Bullying
S’more: Design a flyer, brochure: Bully Prevention
IMovie: Produce a book trailer: Freak the Mighty
Powtoon: Informational video about diversity
Prezi: Present research
Google Docs: Collaboration