W.C. Friday Middle School
7th and 8th Grade Registration Information 20/21
A Message from Mr. Carper
STUDENT LIGHTHOUSE TEAM
Student Lighthouse Team members should consistently demonstrate the following leadership characteristics:
- Dependability, reliability and respect
- Completes classwork and assignments
- Strong work ethic
- Exemplary conduct and citizenship in and out of school
- Excellent attendance (on time with limited absences and early check-outs)
- Good judgement and decision making skills
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Ability to teach and demonstrate the 7 Habits to other students
Students who are interested in joining the team should complete the APPLICATION, have a teacher recommendation, and potentially interview for the role.
- Students must turn in a completed physical form prior to trying out. Sports physicals are valid for a full calendar year.
Complete the Sports Interest Form for EARLY Fall sports sign ups: HERE
- Early Fall sports are football, golf, cheer-leading, and softball.
- Information and sign ups for other sports will be shared later on in the school year.
HEALTH & PE
HEALTH and PE
7th and 8th grade:All students take health and PE. Students learn about health and fitness, and participate in different sports and games. Activities and games should promote cardiovascular health, flexibility, muscular strength, coordination and endurance.
8th grade students will complete CPR training.
*Health/PE is a semester long class
If you are interested in joining the W.C. Friday Cav' Band and were not involved as a 6th Grader no problem at all, I would be thrilled to have you be part of our Band Family! Please realize along with my help you will be assigned a Section Leader to assist you in catching up with us. If you are willing to work hard you will do GREAT in Band!
Simply complete this Google Form and Ms. Owens will contact you in June. (The form explains the instruments and asks what you want to play.)
8th grade Band is open to returning bands students ONLY.
*Band is a yearlong class
7th and 8th grade:
Come join the WCF Chorus Program! We pride ourselves on choral excellence in, both, learning to read music as well as performing and enhancing our skills as young musicians. Here, you’re free to express yourself through your gifts and talents, as well as learn to enhance them.
Students of ANY grade level and experience can join chorus. Students just need to come in with good attitudes, a patient mindset, and a desire to learn music.
*Chorus is a yearlong class
7th and 8th grade:
Exploratory Spanish is an introduction to the 21 countries of the Spanish-Speaking world and learning the vocabulary for basic communication and speaking.
Topics will include:
- Months & Days
- Classroom Words
- Hispanic traditions
- Hispanic Holidays/Celebrations
*Spanish is a SEMESTER long class
HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT SPANISH
8th grade ONLY
Honors Spanish is a high school level class. Students who pass Honors Spanish in 8th grade will receive a high school credit. In order to attend a 4 year college right after high school graduation, students must complete a level 1 and a level 2 of a foreign language. This class would could toward the level 1 requirement.
Students must meet the class requirements to join:
85 or higher in 6th or 7th grade Spanish
*Honors Spanish is a yearlong class (Students who take Honors Spanish are not able to take Band, Chorus, or a year-long art due to scheduling conflicts.)
7th and 8th grade:
Students will be re-introduced to the elements of art and principles of design. Students will create artwork based on what they learn throughout this course. Your students will learn how art relates and connects to the world around us. Along with creating, we will learn how to give and receive constructive feedback through critiques.
*General Art is a semester long class
8th grade ONLY:
Requirements for Yearlong Art:
- Students must be rising 8th-graders.
- You must have a strong interest in the arts.
- If you really love art but feel like you're not "gifted" or as "talented" you are still encouraged to apply!
- You must have good behavior.
Students must complete the APPLICATION
*Yearlong Art is a yearlong class
7th and 8th grade
CTE provides students of all ages with the academic and technical skills, knowledge and training necessary to succeed in future careers and to become lifelong learners.
CTE classes are hands on and engaging. Students typically love CTE classes and learn skills that they will use for the rest of their lives.
At WC Friday, we are excited to be adding a 3rd CTE class! Although our CTE classes are not yet confirmed, in addition to our business/technology classes we are hoping to offer carpentry, and or health services class.
*CTE is a SEMESTER long class
8th grade ONLY:
This non-performing music class meets daily for one semester of the year and is designed to be an exploration of music. The course teaches students about the “ingredients” of music such as theory, the impact and importance of music, composers from the beginning of time up to today's composer/artists, theatrical musicals listening to music from around the world and so much more.
Students will have the opportunity to be involved in other on-hands-activities such as:
- creating their own Jingle
- making an instrument
- interviewing someone in the music field
8th grade ONLY
- Students interested in participating in the yearbook staff must be passing all of their courses.
- You must have a clean record-no redirect/ISS/OSS.
- You should feel comfortable interacting with adults, working independently, and being a leader throughout the school.
- Students on the yearbook staff are assigned pages throughout the book. Students are responsible for completing those pages by specific deadlines assigned by Jostens-not Mrs. Lutz.
- You should be able to manage and plan how you use your time during class. This is a student-lead class.
Students must complete APPLICATION
7th grade ONLY
World History is a CORE class option for 7th grade students who meet the requirements. World History is taught at the high school level and students who successfully pass the class receive high school credit for the class. Students who do not take World History take 7th grade Social Studies.
Requirements of World History:
- EVAAS projected percentile in World History 85-99
- Students must have had an 85 or better in 6th grade ELA (Fall semester)
- AIG Identified in Reading OR AIG clustered
7th and 8th grade: Library Assistants help during an Encore class period. This is not a free period. You will have assignments and receive grades. Library assistants help with checking in/out books for students and teachers, shelving books, dusting shelves, cleaning tables, creating displays and posters for the library and other teachers. Student assistants must be honest hardworking students who can work independently and with others. They are responsible, mature, efficient, and respectful to both teachers and students. Students must complete the following application in order to be approved and join this class.