Davis/Martin Weekly Update
January 18 - January 22
IN READING & SOCIAL STUDIES:
- Reading: We will continue to focus on nonfiction: strategies, text features, and text structures (description, sequence, cause/effect, compare/contrast, and problem/solution). We will specifically be looking at how to determine what is important in nonfiction text, which includes understanding main idea.
- Week 16 Vocabulary: balmy, bask, denominator, vertical
- Social Studies: Colony Creations - Students will be working cooperatively in small groups to create a colony of their own. They will apply the information they've learned about the 13 colonies to this project.
In MATH & SCIENCE:
- Science: We are studying Simple Machines. This week we will be working with pulleys, wheels & axles, and potential & kinetic energy.
- Math: We are still working on Multiplication and Division of Fractions. Our test will be this Wednesday.
- We will continue to work on our individualized math program on Khan Academy and Front Row Math. Students are allowed to work on it at home.
- Weekly Reading Log: 20 minutes of reading, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's reading grade)
- Weekly Vocabulary Page: This will go home every Tuesday, and needs to be completed and returned every Wednesday
- Students will most always have math homework every night through the week, Fridays and weekends off.
- Have you downloaded the Nettleton app? If not, go to your app store and search for Nettleton Public Schools. You will be able to email staff, receive information regarding school closing and much more!
- If your child is going home a different way than usual, please call the school to let us know. Many parents will email or text teachers but often times teachers have their phones off. We want to make sure that your child makes it home safely!