By:Janea' Candace Clark
Simple Machines make work easier for us to push or pull over increased distances.
- A pulley uses grooved wheels and a rope to raise , lower, or move a load. Pulleys are used in a variety of ways to lift loads, apply forces, and to transmit power.
- A pulley can be used to lift up the blinds in a window.
- A Lever is a stiff bar that rests on support called a fulcrum which which lifts or move loads.
- Levers affect the effort, or force, needed to do a certain amount of work, and are used to lift heavy objects.
- A lever can be used to open a can with a can opener.
- An object with at least one slanting side ending in a sharp edge, which cuts material apart.
- A wedge is used to split or pierce objects.
- A wedge can be used to lift up an object or hold an object in place. It can also be used to cut a piece of wood with an ax.
Wheel and Axle
- A wheel with a rod, called an axle, through its center, lifts or moves loads.
- A wheel and axle could be used to move something from one place to another. It can be used to move a wagon.
- An Inclined plane is a slanting surface connecting a lower level to a higher level, which helps to move something.
- An Inclined plane can be used to move a heavy box onto a truck.
- A screw is an inclined plane wrapped around a pole which holds things together or lifts materials.
- A screw can be used to hold pieces of wood together.