MVISD Counseling Dept
The MVISD Counseling Department remains dedicated to supporting families and our local community. Below you will find various links to relevant resources, suggestions for talking with children about their concerns, information on mental health services, and a wide range of activities to enjoy with your family.
MVISD District Updates
Above link includes:
- Updates from Dr. Rohrbach, MVISD Superintendent
- Information on UIL Sports, Activities, & Academics
- Off-site Learning Resources
- Breakfast & Lunch Program Information
- STAAR, ACT, SAT & OTHER TESTING
- Student Enrollment/Registration
- and additional resources
How to Support Your Child
- Take time to talk with your child or teen about the COVID-19 outbreak. Answer questions and share facts about COVID-19 in a way that your child or teen can understand.
- Reassure your child or teen that they are safe. Let them know it is ok if they feel upset. Share with them how you deal with your own stress so that they can learn how to cope from you.
- Limit your family’s exposure to news coverage of the event, including social media. Children may misinterpret what they hear and can be frightened about something they do not understand.
- Try to keep up with regular routines. If schools are closed, create a schedule for learning activities and relaxing or fun activities.
- Be a role model. Take breaks, get plenty of sleep, exercise, and eat well. Connect with your friends and family members.
Texans can dial 2-1-1 (option 6) for information on COVID-19 and local community resources on health care, utilities, food, housing and more. Click HERE for more COVID-19 information from hhs.texas.gov.
Clarity Child Guidance Center created a Special COVID-19 page on 1in5minds.org to help parents and their kids, especially those who have children with mental health challenges. It includes encouragement and advice about self care, supporting children, and fun print-out tips and activities. Here's the link https://www.1in5minds.org/covid
Activities to Enjoy With the Family
For a Variety of Family Resources from commonsense.org, Please Click HERE
Additional Suggestions for Supporting Your Teen
- Start a Communication Journal with your Parent/Guardian
- Practice Deep Breathing
- Create a Daily Mood Chart to best address the change in feelings from day to day
- Go Outside - take a walk
- Listen to Music
- Read a Book
- Identify Healthy vs. Unhealthy Coping Skills (for more ideas of healthy coping skills, click here)
Mental Health Resources
Texas Health and Human Services
-Offers COVID-19-Related Mental Health Support for all Texans 24/7 FREE to those who call the hotline
Hill Country MHDD Crisis Line
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Center for Health Care Services
6812 Bandera Rd. Ste. 102
Clarity Child Guidance Center
8535 Tom Slick San Antonio, TX 78229
San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
8550 Huebner Road