World War II
- Claimed more than 2,500 lives in less than two hours
- Led to the United States entry into World War ll
- Japanese attacked without warning
- Occurred on December 7, 1941
- Lasted 110 minutes, from 7:55 a.m. until 9:45 a.m.
The Battle of Pearl Harbor was a Japanese surprise attack against the United States naval base on December 7, 1941. This led to the United States entry to World War ll. Over the next seven hours there were coordinated attacks on the United States.
The objective of the attack was to destroy important American fleet units, by time for Japan to combine positions and increase its naval strength.