"Super" Spruce Scoop
Volume 1 Edition 22
March 16, 2015
T. T. H.
At our feeder pattern principals' meeting, we discussed leadership and used various tools, articles and discussion to frame our thinking. Leadership comes in many forms and moves. We reviewed the Principal Performance Rubric and Executive Director Evaluation Rubric to make connections. Alignment was observed among the two instruments.
During our article study in which we used the Save the Last Word for ME protocol, we read about five practices that typically yield improvement in schools:
- Laser-like focus on what students need to learn
- Collaborate on how to teach content, map curriculum and design lessons
- Use results of classroom formative data to measure student progress
- Find patterns in data and use them to improve instruction
- Build relationships so that students trust teachers and teacher trust administrators
While these practices are not new, we discussed the variable which differentiate good from great - IMPLEMENTATION. Implementation is the key to any system or action to be put in place. Strong implementation with fidelity will lead to greatness.
Read Across America
District Principals' Meeting
Wednesday, March 18th, 1-5pm
3313 S Beckley Ave
Recruiting and Retaining Teachers
National School Reform Faculty
Kudos Go To...
- Richard Lagow Elementary School - During my visit last week, teachers were consistently observed providing purposeful instruction with good levels of student engagement. Thank you to Ms. Clay, Ms. White, Ms. Garcia, Ms. Young and Ms. Newland. Your instruction is make a difference in the lives of our students!
- Balch Springs Middle School - Ms. Bassett and the ELA teachers for their rich discussion during a PLC. They discussed the results of a common assessment with a specific conversation around misconceptions of questions from the assessment. See pic. to the right.
- Thank you to all of our Spruce Principals for holding Saturday School on March 21 and March 28! Our students missed several days of school, so the extra time will help get them the support they need. Think about incentives which will motivate our students to attend such as break and / or lunch, extra credit, spirit day attire. You are appreciated!
- Well done to all of our principals who sent a survey out to their staff inquiring about their plans for next year. This is a good way to know their intentions.
- A Job Fair will be held on March 21 from 8:30 a.m. to noon. Please begin assembling your team and the marketing tools to sale your school.
- We have 10 days until STAAR writing and 11 days until STAAR reading. Let's continue to motivate our teachers to give us their best work and thank them for their commitment to our students.