by Jesse L.
What is a Nebula
Image of a Nebula
The Science of Nebulae
Next, the Crab Nebula is another famous nebula. The Crab Nebula is so bright because of it's stars. At the core of the nebula is a neutron star. The neutron star gives off radiation. This radiation excites the electrons in the nebula so that they spin at almost the speed of light which gives the nebula it's bluish glow in the center. Finally, the Crab Nebula is a very interesting nebula.
Another famous and interesting nebula is the Trifid Nebula. The Trifid Nebula is 5,400 light-years away and was discovered by Charles Messier in 1764. There are hundreds of new stars in it and they light it up brightly. It has so many stars that it has even been called a star nursery by some. In conclusion the Trifid Nebula has some cool qualities that make it famous.
Lastly, the Butterfly is a very interesting Nebula. The Butterfly Nebula is the remains of a dead star that was five times the mass of the sun. The star's outer layer was expelled 2,200 years ago which is what the glowing gas in the nebula is. The nebula is over two light years from one end to the other which is equal to half of the distance from the sun to the nearest star. The Butterfly Nebula's shape resembles a butterfly which is why it is called the Butterfly Nebula. Clearly, the Butterfly Nebula's unique shape makes it stand out so it's famous.
Image of The Butterfly Nebula
Image of the Andromeda Nebula
- "Butterfly Nebula." AmazingSpace -. NASA, 2015. Web. 04 Dec. 2015.
- Hankin, Rebecca. The Universe-- Mysteries and Marvels. 2010 ed. Chicago, IL: World Book, 2010. Print. Explore the Universe.
- N.d. 18 Aug. 2010. Web. 10 Dec. 2015. <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/715715main_holiday_full_full.jpg>.
- N.d. 6 Feb. 2012. Web. 8 Dec. 2015. <http://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/archive/hubble/art/overview/hubble_bio/andromeda_big.gif>.
- N.d. NASA. Web. 8 Dec. 2015. <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/754349main_butterfly_nebula_full_full.jpg>.
- "NSSDCAPhoto Gallery." NSSDCA Photo Gallery: Nebulae. Ed. Edwin V. Bell. NASA, 27 Apr. 2015. Web. 10 Dec. 2015. <http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/photo_gallery/photogallery-astro-nebula.html>.
- Stille, Darlene R. Galaxies. 2010 ed. Chicago: World Book, 2010. Print. Explore the Universe.
- What Is a Nebula? Free School, 8 Mar. 2015. Web. 10 Dec. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVy9P3XSVE>.