Different Types of Eating Disorders
Night Eating Syndrome
Facts About Eating Disorder
2. There are 3 main eating disorders:Anorexia Nervosa, fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, Bulimia Nervosa, the act of binge eating then purging or vomiting, and Binge Eating Disorder, eating until uncomfortably full in one sitting.
3.Eating disorders can be genetic or caused by psychological issues like coping skills, control issues, trauma, family trouble, or social issues. Each type of eating disorder has many possible causes.
4. Approximately 24 million people in the U.S. struggle with an eating disorder. Almost 50% of these people also meet the criteria for depression.
5. A mere 10% of people with eating disorders receive treatment, and of those only 35% seek treatment from a facility that specializes in eating disorders.
6. In a college campus survey, 91% of the women admitted to controlling their weight through dieting. 22% said they dieted “often” or “always.”
7. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
8. More than 50% of teen girls and nearly 33% of teen boys admit to using unhealthy methods to control their weight.
9. An estimated 25%t of college-age girls resort to bingeing and purging to manage their weight. 58% of the studied girls felt social pressure to maintain a certain size.
10. 69% of girls ages 10 to 18 confirm that photographs of models and celebrities in magazines inspired their desired body shape.