MHS Counseling Newsletter
Grades 9-12 JANUARY 2021 Edition
- HYBRID SCHEDULE
- GRADE LEVEL GOOGLE CLASSROOMS
- MVCTC APPLICATION PROCESS
- COLLEGE CREDIT PLUS MEETINGS
- SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP MEETINGS
- TRANSITION ADVISING
- MIAMI VALLEY TECH PREP SCHOLARSHIP
- NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP WEBSITES
- CURRENT SCHOLARSHIPS
- DAYTON AREA ELECTRICAL JATC
- JOSTENS ORDERING INFORMATION
- CLASS OF 2021 GRADUATION INFORMATION
12/21-1/1- NO SCHOOL - WINTER BREAK
1/4-1/8- REMOTE LEARNING
1/11- RETURN TO HYBRID
1/14- COLLEGE CREDIT PLUS QUESTION & ANSWER MEETING ONLINE 6 P.M.
1/18- NO SCHOOL - MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY
1/19- SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP MEETING DURING ACADEMIC PERIOD (A-K)
1/20- SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP MEETING DURING ACADEMIC PERIOD (L-R)
2/1- FIRST DAY OF SECOND SEMESTER
2/15- NO SCHOOL - PRESIDENT'S DAY
Monday: Remote learning day
Tuesday/Thursday: Students with the last name A-K are in person
Wednesday/Friday: Students with the last name L-Z are in person
* ProgressBook now has Apps for both android and apple smart phones!
GRADE LEVEL GOOGLE CLASSROOMS
Please join your google classroom if you haven’t already done so. Here you will get class information, announcements, student government election information, voting, etc.. It is arranged by class below. For example, if you are a Freshman, you would join the 2024 google classroom.
is the link and 74rid3o is the code for 2021
is the link and hiq7zra is the code for 2022
is the link and y2csewo is the code for 2023
is the link and 3azcrqs is the code for 2024
MVCTC APPLICATION IS NOW LIVE
Sophomores who are interested in attending the MVCTC for their Junior & Senior Year may start applying at http://www.mvctc.com/apply
Students interested in the MVCTC can access program information by following this link: http://www.mvctc.com/future-students/programs
In addition to this, MVCTC will be hosting virtual information sessions where students can learn more about MVCTC, meet instructors, hear from students, and ask questions. To find out more information, please follow this link: http://www.mvctc.com/recruitment/zoom-meetings
COLLEGE CREDIT PLUS MEETINGS (CCP)
Please click below to see the informational video. We will then have a virtual Q & A session on January 14th at 6 p.m.. This session is for students and parents that are interested in learning how to obtain college credits for free while still attending MHS. All current and future students (along with parents) participating in CCP are encouraged to attend the virtual session.
SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP MEETINGS
For more information, please click on the attachments.
*If your student receives free or reduced lunch they may be eligible for a fee waiver, they will need to get this from their counselor.
MIAMI VALLEY TECH PREP SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION (SINCLAIR COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
To qualify for the scholarship students must:
- Earn a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of a 2.25 Junior year and the first semester of Senior year.
- Complete three or more career technical education courses, or two courses in a single pathway, and graduate from high school.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. Other financial aid must be used prior to using the Sinclair Tech Prep Scholarship.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester to be eligible for full scholarship benefits of $750.00 per term. Enrollment for 9 to 11 hours will be pro-rated at $563.00 per term.
- Maintain good academic standing as defined in the Sinclair Community College catalog "Grades" sectin (i.e., a GPA of 2.0 or higher).
Click on the link below for more information about Sinclair's Tech Prep Scholarship.
Sinclair Community College is now offering the high school merit scholarship. High School Merit Scholarships are offered to current high school seniors who are planning to enroll as full-time students at Sinclair during the 21-22 academic year. Scholarship awards range from $2,000 to $3,000 per year.
Students can apply for High School Merit Scholarships by visiting www.sinclair.edu/scholarships and clicking the red “Apply Online to Scholarships” button. Students are asked a series of questions and will need to submit an essay to describe their educational and career goals. They will also be asked to upload their unofficial high school transcript and a letter of recommendation.
Students will access the scholarship application using their Sinclair username and password, which means they need to apply for admission first. Applications are open December 1, 2020 – February 26th, 2021 (5 p.m. EST).
- McAfee- You Can Count on Me Scholarship McAfee Heating and Air is proud to sponsor the ‘You Can Count on Me “ Scholarship program. This scholarship is for a Senior who intends on furthering their education after high school, this can include traditional 4 year programs, community college, trade schools and others.
This is a one year non-renewable scholarship program in the amount of $2,500.00 given to ten students. Additionally, a donation of $250 will be made to the teacher each recipient wishes to recognize. Apply online at: www.Youcancountonme.org Applications must be submitted by January 31st.
- Discover Student Loans is offering a chance for students to win $5,000 with the college covered scholarship. This is a monthly scholarship national drawing. They draw a $5000.00 scholarship at the end of each month, and students are randomly selected to win. Students can access the scholarship here: https://scholarship.collegecovered.com/ Applications must be submitted by January 31st.
- The Army ROTC 4 year scholarship Scholarships are awarded based on a student's merit and grades, not financial need. Additional scholarship information can be found at https://www.goarmy.com/rotc/scholarships.html The deadline for this application is February 4th.
- The PFLAG Scholarship program, including the Greater Dayton LGBT Center scholarship, is designed to recognize outstanding students (two or three lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer [LGBTQ] and one or two allies) and to contribute toward their continuing education. This program is designed to celebrate the achievement of individuals who represent PFLAG and the LGBT Center values. For more information and to apply please visit https://www.pflagdayton.org/scholarship-program The deadline for these scholarships is February 13, 2021.
- The Connor Group Kids & Community Partners is once again offering scholarships for high school and college age students. Winner will be notified on or before April 1st. The application is online and takes less than 20 minutes to complete ( no long essays required) There will be 6 scholarships of $2,500 or more. The application is online at: https://connorgroup.com/scholarship Applications must be submitted by February 15th.
- Thomas & Galbraith is offering five $1,000 scholarships for students attending high school in our area. For more information about the scholarship program, please visit this page: maxgives.com/scholarship-tg-student Applications must be submitted by March 31st.
- Injured Call Today Scholarship available to all high school seniors who are planning on entering the medical field. This scholarship is for students attending a 4 year college/university or a 2 year community college for Spring of 2020. This scholarship is a one time award of $1000. The application is online at:https://www.injuredcalltoday.com/#scholarship-application Applications must be submitted by June 30, 2021.
FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA)
To reach the Federal Student Aid Information Center, please call (800) 433-3243.
Hours of operation are: Monday - Friday 8 a.m.-11 p.m. and Saturday - Sunday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m..
FAFSA FREE VIRTUAL WORKSHOPS
Follow the attached link to sign up for a FREE FAFSA workshop. This workshop is being held by Sinclair Community College (SCC); you do not need to plan to attend SCC to get FREE help for the FAFSA. This is for all students needing help with the FAFSA regardless of where you plan to attend.
DAYTON AREA ELECTRICAL JATC
JOSTENS ORDERING INFORMATION
For those seniors and parents needing or requesting a catalog, you can send them this link below. In addition, you can also send seniors the attached QR Code for Miamisburg HS that will take them directly to the JOSTENS landing page for MHS where the customer can review everything and place their orders online.
For any senior, junior, sophomore, or freshman looking to order their class ring, you can send them this link below for a full view of the entire ring catalog. In addition, you can also send students and parents the attached QR code that will take them directly to the JOSTENS landing page for MHS where the customer can review everything and place their orders online. We have also provided a QR code for sizing, if needed. We have sizers we can send to the student’s homes if requested
Given the current situation in most schools, we are taking orders 1 of 3 ways:
- Online at www.jostens.com
- Over the phone by calling our local office (513) 772-6204
- By mailing the orders to our local office
CLASS OF 2021 GRADUATION INFORMATION
Class of 2021 Graduation Information for ALL Seniors
Graduation Announcements: You will receive graduation announcement packets from Jostens by mail soon. The orders will be collected in touchless drop boxes placed near the Main Office the week of November 9- 13. More information about ordering will be provided at the Senior Meeting on October 30.
December 19, 2020 will be the last day to order announcements (without a late order charge). Jostens must receive the orders by mail, online (at Jostens.com) or phone by this date. Specific questions may be directed to the Jostens toll free number (800) 567-8367 or our Jostens representative, Mike Beerman (513) 772-6204.
Caps and Gowns: Miamisburg High School will order a cap, gown and tassel for all graduates. They will be shipped to the school and distributed before graduation. Students who wish to use a cap and gown from a relative/friend, should notify Mrs. Shock/Mrs. Kerwin in the Main Office, so the gown cost can be deducted from the graduation fee. Seniors will receive a Google form through their school email requesting height and weight so the correct sizes can be ordered.
Graduation Fee: A $40.00 graduation fee will be added to Senior fee accounts to cover graduation expenses and the cap, gown and tassel. Adjustments will be made for those not participating in the ceremony or not purchasing a cap/gown. Payments can be made online (www.payschoolscentral.com), by phone or credit card at MHS or check made payable to Miamisburg High School and turned in to the Main Office.
Graduation Ceremony: Graduation will be held during the weekend of June 4-6 at Holland Field at Miamisburg High School. The primary date and time for a traditional graduation ceremony will be Friday, June 4 at 6:00pm. Since the graduation will be scheduled outdoors, we may need to adjust the date/time to one of the other options listed below due to the weather forecast.
Since there are many unknowns at this time, definite plans for conducting the graduation ceremony cannot be completed. We may be required to adjust how we conduct the graduation based on a set of unique health and safety protocols. We will communicate additional information as we get closer to the dates listed below.
*Option A: Friday, June 4 @ 6:00pm at Holland Field (Primary Option for a Traditional Graduation)
Option B: Saturday, June 5 at 10:00am at Holland Field
Option C: Saturday, June 5 at 6:00pm at Holland Field
Option D: Sunday, June 6 at 10:00am at Holland Field
Seniors Last Day of School: Tuesday, June 1
Seniors Pictures for the Yearbook: January 10, 2021 is the DEADLINE for seniors to have a picture taken to appear in the 2020-2021 MHS yearbook! Seniors must have a headshot picture taken at Easterling Studios to be included in the MHS yearbook and Composite. For an appointment call (937) 222-8410.