Earth's Magnetic Field
Geomagnetic Field by :lluvia
What is Earth's Magnetic Field?
The protective force field around the earth is called the Magnetic Field, it protects earth from the sun. Scientists believe that the outer core causes the Magnetic Field and the solid inner core spins faster than the liquid outer core,causing ripples,forming the Magnetic Field. Without Earth's Magnetic Field there would be no atmosphere, water or life on earth.
Going in the right direction (Using a Compass)
A compass is a navigational instrument for determining direction relative to the Earth's magnetic poles. It is used for navigation to get from one point to another. It is also used to get you to the exact point where you need to go.
Step by Step Directions for Using a Compass
- Hold your compass steadily in your hand so the base-plate is level and the direction-of-travel arrow is pointing straight away from you.
- Hold it about halfway between your face and waist in a comfortable arm position with your elbow bent and compass held close to your stomach.
- Look down at the compass and see where the needle points.
- Turn your body while keeping the compass right in front of you.
- Notice that as the compass rotates, the needle stays pointing the same direction.
- Keep turning until the needle points East, keeping the direction-of-travel arrow and North mark facing straight in front of you.
- To find the direction, You must turn the compass dial until the North mark and the "Orienting Arrow" are lined up with the North end of the needle.
The Video of Compass(below)
This video will show you how to correctly use a compass!
Map Compass 101