The Wonderful Whales
*******Miss Vananzo's Magnificent Team: December 17*******
News from Room 25.
Swimming Through a Great Week!
In reading/spelling we...
- reviewed the various spellings of the long "e" sounds. We played games to review the sound that were assigned to us on our devices. We practice spelling long "e" word families and continued to review antonyms and synonyms.
- worked on our personal narratives about a small moment in our lives. We wrote our draft copy and are in the process of working with an adult to proofread. We check our spelling, capitals and reread to be sure we have a sequential story with sentences that are organized so when someone reads our work, they will understand what we have shared.
- read several short non-fiction stories. We talked about the non-fiction text features that the author used and what these features helped us to learn.
In math we:
- played a game called: Close to 20. When give 5 cards, students had to find the three cards that when added together, came as close as possible to 20.
- continued to are numbers strings that contained several addends.
- related doubles and near-double combinations (4 + 4 and 4 + 5)
Ocean of Events
- School Store Thursdays - 2nd & 3rd grade:
HOLIDAY PRESENT DRIVE: Four great ways to give – thank you!
By Dec. 17th: All gifts needed (unwrapped) in collection bin in lobby.
1. Fill a child’s clothes/sneakers wish - sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4fa9ad2ea3fa7-giving
2. Fill a child’s toy wish: Take a wish tag off of our Giving Tree in the lobby.
3. Donate any unwrapped new toy.
4. Gift cards welcome (or monetary donations – checks only – payable to JES PTA). Place in Outreach mailbox in envelope marked “Holiday Present Drive.”
*Also look for our Mitten, Hat & Sock Tree – December 1st-17th in the Lobby*
- Dec. 15, 7:00 pm – Winter Concert – 5th Gr. Chorus, Band & String Students
- Dec. 18 – Holiday or Ugly Sweater Day
- Dec. 18, 10:00 am – CMS Band Assembly
- Dec. 22 – Papa John’s Pizza Day for PTA
- Dec. 23 – Beans & Bread breakfast collection for the homeless
- Dec. 23 – Pajama Day
Catch of the Week
- Thanks for your continued donations of wipes. These are so helpful.
- Please be sure to place your child's name on all of their coats/scarves, etc..
- Thank you for your support of our Dive Into Reading program. Over the holiday, if your child happens to fill in their December form or their extra minutes form, please keep track of any additional minutes on a separate sheet of paper. When the Whales return, I will pass out the January forms and total all minutes.
Sea Star of the Week: Landon
Here are a few of his favorites:
Places to go: Florida, Rehoboth, and Pennsylvania
Books: Magic Treehouse, Big Nate, Wonder, and Hatchet
Songs: Hello, Stitches, and Final Countdown
Movie: Elf and Jurassic World
Things I Like to Do in the Community: Play Baseball, Soccer, Football and Lacrosse.
Foods: Pizza, Salad, Pasta, Chicken and Pringles
Like to Do at School: Read, Learn, Run, Eat, Build, and Discover New Things
It's a Whale of a Word
Our word of the week is:
Definition: people who watch a show or a performance
Sentence: We will be a fabulous audience when we attend our holiday concert on Tuesday afternoon.
**Two holiday stickers to any student who brings the word of the week into class written on a piece of paper and tells how many syllables it has.
Gym: Monday and Friday
If your child wears any type of boots to school, please be sure they bring tennis shoes on gym days.
Library Books are Due Each Wednesday
Let's see if we can get 100% of our class to return their books on Wednesday. We can do it.
Dive Into Reading Program
Please be sure to read the notice about keeping track of minutes over the winter break.