Monthly Newsletter for Child Nutrition Administrators
LISTEN TO THE LATEST NEWS
POLICY UPDATES & COMPLIANCE REMINDERS
- If your district has not completed the form FND-135 to designate a User Access Manager in TX-UNPS, do so today! TDA is retiring the form FND-101 this spring.
- The DUNS number, required for all federal reimbursement programs, is phasing out. To obtain a new Unique Entity Identifier, register on SAM.gov. Be sure to work with your business office on this process.
SUPPLY CHAIN ASSISTANCE FUNDING
Supply Chain Assistance (SCA) funds are available to eligible Contracting Entities (CEs) to purchase unprocessed or minimally processed domestic food products in cases where CEs have experienced unanticipated cancellation of food and supply contracts, reduced availability of certain foods, unexpected substitution of certain products, unpredictable increases in food and supply prices, and other obstacles related to pricing and/or availability.
TDA PUBLISHES TENTATIVE ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW (AR) LIST ON SQUAREMEALS.ORG
The four-year review cycle starts over in SY22-23. Check out the list of CEs up for review here. If you are on the list, be sure to attend the ESC Region 11 AR training offered in the fall. Stay tuned for more information.
SCHOOL BREAKFAST WEEK: MARCH 7-11
Celebrate the National School Breakfast program! Find materials and resources on SquareMeals.org.
STUDENT ART CONTEST
TDA’s You Art What You Eat statewide student art contest engages K-12 students in learning about healthy nutrition by encouraging them to use their imagination to illustrate healthy school meals. The winning entries inspire designs for cafeteria posters, social media ads, flyers, and other resources that schools across Texas will use for celebrating National School Breakfast and Lunch weeks. Submissions are due March 4, 2022.
HEALTHIER GENERATION AWARD
The Healthier Generation Award is a prestigious, annual distinction presented to schools that have demonstrated remarkable efforts to prioritize the essential health needs of students, staff, and families. The 2022 Healthier Generation Award application will open in February. Details here.
YOUR TURN ON THE MIC
USDA recently released transitional standards to guide Child Nutrition programs. These standards will start July 1, 2022, and will impact SSO this summer. The final rule addresses milk, whole grains, and sodium:
- Milk: flavored, low-fat milk is permitted along with an unflavored milk option
- Whole grains: At least 80% of weekly grains offered must meet whole grain-rich criteria; the remaining 20% must be enriched. Remember, whole grain-rich means that 50% of the product must be whole grain.
- Sodium: Target 1 for NSLP is in place through SY22-23, and then a 10% decrease in sodium will go into effect for lunch only in SY23-24. Target 1 for SBP will be in effect through SY23-24.
In addition, vegetable subgroups for SBP will go back to the previous ruling in which all subgroups must be offered before a starchy vegetable can be offered.
A proposed rule has been issued for Fall 2022. The comment period is open now. Please post your comments by March 24, 2022.
TURN UP THE VOLUME: DEADLINES APPROACHING
- CEP Report opens
- Financial Report Opens
- Closing Date for Annual and Processing Surveys
- Closing Date for CCC Bonus Offering
- Last Day to Submit December Claims
- Attestation of Eligibility for Supply Chain Assistance Funding form due
- CEP Report due
- Financial Report due
- MegaCon registration due
- Closing date for the Farm to School Survey
RESOURCES & LINKS
REQUEST TIME: REGISTER FOR A CLASS
RESCHEDULED MONTHLY REWIND (WEBINAR)
PRESS PLAY MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
SPRING REPORTS: CEP & FINANCIAL (WEBINAR)
MONTHLY REWIND (WEBINAR)
PRESS PLAY MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
SERVSAFE EXAM RETEST
(District or tester must purchase a test sheet here.)
FOOD SAFETY & SERVSAFE EXAM (IN-PERSON)