GPS District Digest
Stories, news and updates from Greenwich Public Schools
Introducing Greenwich Public School's "District Digest"
Announcing the launch of the “GPS District Digest” e-newsletter to share news, updates, announcements and more to parents, students, community members, and all others who are interested in staying up-to-date on Greenwich Public Schools. Click here to subscribe* and receive the next newsletter directly to your email inbox. All issues of the GPS District Digest will be archived on our website.
*The GPS District Digest newsletter is by opt-in only. Subscribers will be asked to share their name and email address to sign-up for the list. While no data will be shared or distributed, please be advised that the Greenwich Board of Education is subject to the Freedom of Information Act. You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the newsletter.
Schools welcomed back students in a BIG way!
Check out some of the highlights below and click here for a gallery of photos:
- Students and staff at Riverside School and Hamilton Avenue School started the year off with a "Parade of Learners."
- While at Julian Curtiss and New Lebanon, family and friends gathered to send students off for their first day.
- At North Mianus and Glenville School students and teachers shared in the excitement of the new year with assemblies and encouraging messages throughout the hallways.
- And at Old Greenwich School, teachers and staff welcomed new families to the school with surprise lawn signs around town.
- Students and staff at Western shared their school chant, "West Side, Best Side" on social media.
- And Greenwich High School's Class of 2023 was welcomed to school with a Student Activities fair during freshman orientation.
Superintendent Dr. Toni Jones starts first school year with the District
New menu items & eco-friendly changes
Eco-friendly changes: GPS has made a commitment to helping our environment and reducing waste. For the 2019-2020 school year there will be no more styrofoam trays. GPS is beginning with a paper product at all sites, except at New Lebanon, which installed a dishwasher during building construction that will wash and reuse metal trays.
Tips on Tracking Screen Time
Two Greenwich Public School Staff Members Recognized by National Associations
Greenwich High School's Ian Tiedemann was awarded 2019 Alfred P. Sloan Teaching Champion Award by the Center for Economic Education for excellence in economics. Read more.
Starting September 2019, Julian Curtiss School's building feasibility study and Greenwich High School's Entryway and Media Center feasibility study will begin.
- Playground installation will be ongoing thru September
- Sod will be placed late September.
- Landscaping and fencing are being installed and will continue as per the approved plan.
- Plantings will continue through the fall due to the respective planting seasons
- Ballfield reconstruction will be completed in the fall as part of Phase 3 of the approved plan.