Thurston County 4-H News
April 1 - 4-H Council Senior Scholarship DUE
April 2 - Thurston 4-H Council Meeting
April 6-7 - Siouxland Garden Show @ Sioux City
April 9 - Joint 4-H Council Meeting @ Pender (7 pm)
April 15 - AKSARBEN Market Beef DNA Nominations DUE
April 15 - Nebraska 4-H Camp Early Bird Registration DUE
April 22-28 - National Volunteer Week
April 27 - Office Closed - Arbor Day
May 1 - Drop/Add 4-H Projects DUE
May 10 - Northeast Regional 4-H Speech Contest Registration DUE
May 11 - Horse: County ID DUE & District & State Entries DUE
May 14 - Rabbit Tattoo Party
May 14 - Thurston County 4-H Council Meeting
May 24 - Northeast Regional 4-H Speech Contest @ Wayne (2 pm)
May 28 - Office Closed - Memorial Day
May 30 - Dakota-Thurston Sheep & Goat Weigh-In @ Fairgrounds (6-8 pm)
Need to Know
Busy Programming - Out of the Office
Days we know that we'll both be out of the office are:
April 3: All Day
April 24: All Day
April 25: All Day
April 26: All Day
April 30: All Day
May 31: All Day
4-H Online Enrollment and Re-Enrollment
NOTHING'S CHANGED!!! But since it's a new year we need you to re-enroll at ne.4honline.com. There are step by step sheets at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/thurston/4-h-enrollment. For both new families and families that already have profiles. If you already have a profile make sure you DO NOT make a new profile.
If you are a VOLUNTEER for our program we also need to you to re-enroll in our online database. Again step by step information can be found at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/thurston/4-h-enrollment.
If anyone of you has questions please call the office and we'll do our best to work through any issues.
True Leaders in Service
Mark your calendars! More information will be coming soon!Babysitting Clinic - May 23rd
Fashion Fingerprint - May 29th
Wearable Technology - May 30th
Young Entrepreneur Camp - June 4th-7th
Design Decisions Workshop - June 12th
Surprise Workshop - June 14th
Ponca Day Camp Counselor Training - June 18th
Ponca Day Camp - June 19th
Clover Kid Camp - June 21st
Let's Get Cooking #1 - July 2nd
Let's Get Cooking #2 - July 3rd
All Contest Day! Results
Public Speaking Contest Results:
Clover Kid Division· Logan Hansen - Participation
· Annika Jensen - Participation
· Payton Hermelbracht – Participation
· Harper Jensen – Blue (Regionals)
· Rylie Hermelbracht – Blue (Regionals)
· Donovan Fogarty – Purple, Junior Reserve Champion (Regionals)
· McKinley Morgan – Purple, Junior Champion (Regionals)
· Nathan Busker – Purple, Senior Reserve Champion (Regionals)
· Alexis Bodlak – Purple, Senior Champion (Regionals)
Music Contest Results:
· Annika Jensen (Clover Kid), piano – Participation
· Harper Jensen (Jr), piano – Purple
· Dylan Mahaney (Jr), sax – Purple
· McKinley Morgan (Jr), guitar – Purple
· Alexis Bodlak (Sr), flute – Purple
· Nathan Busker (Sr), sax – Purple, Overall Champion
· Annika Jensen (Clover Kid) – Participation
· Brylea Mosser (Jr) – Purple
· Harper Jensen (Jr) – Purple
· Shaylee Sanderson & Khloe Swanson (Jr) – Purple
Favorite Food Contest Results:
Clover Kids Division
· Logan Hansen – Participation
· Ryanne Smith-Simonsen – Participation
· Annika Jensen – Participation
· Shaylee Sanderson – Blue
· Khloe Swanson – Blue
· River Soll – Blue
· Kaitlyn Mahaney – Blue
· Dylan Mahaney – Blue
· Harper Jensen – Purple
· Aaliyah Soll – Purple
· Brylea Mosser – Purple, Junior Reserve Champion
· Nate Sanderson – Purple, Junior Champion
· Mason Bodlak – Blue
· Logan Mosser – Purple, Intermediate Reserve Champion
· Gracie Slaughter – Purple, Intermediate Champion
· Nick Busker – Blue
· Carley Hofmeister – Blue
· Nathan Busker – Blue, Senior Reserve Champion
Alexis Bodlak – Purple, Senior Champion
UNL Animal Science Experience
Youth Horticulture ID Contest
The Northeast Nebraska Master Gardeners will be hosting a Youth Horticulture ID Contest at their annual Plant Fair & Market. All youth ages 8-18 are encouraged to participate. Participation is free but all participants must preregister by April 20 by contacting the Nebraska Extension office in Madison County 402-370-4040. Prizes will be given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers in each of the age brackets. Contestants will be required to sight ID horticultural plants to the accepted common name. The list of possible plants and study guides are available at
Date: Friday, April 27, 2018
Time: Competition begins 6:15 PM, Awards Presented 7:30 PM
Location: Chuck Pohlman Ag Complex, Northeast Community College, Norfolk
1st Place - $25 cash AND $25 gift certificate for the Master Gardener Plant Booths
2nd Place - $10 cash AND $15 gift certificate for the Master Gardener Plant Booths
3rd Place - $10 gift certificate for the Master Gardener Plant Booths
The ages for brackets are broken down as follows:
Junior – 8-11 years old
Intermediate – 12-14 years old
Senior – 15-18 years old
Youth Volunteer Opportunity
Youth Crop Scouting Competition
Nebraska Extension also offers the 5th annual Crop Scouting Competition for Nebraska youth. This contest is at the ARDC near Mead, Nebraska on July 26th, 2018. The event includes indoor and outdoor events. Teams of junior high and high school students (those completing 7-12th grades) are invited to participate.
Clubs or other organizations may enter a team composed of three to five participants. An adult team leader must accompany each team. Team leaders could be FFA advisors, crop consultants, extension staff, coop employees, etc.
Top-scoring teams win prizes: $500 for first, $250 for second, $100 for third place. Top two teams are eligible for regional competition in August at Nebraska.
Teams are expected to know basics of scouting corn and soybean fields. This includes crop staging; looking for patterns of crop injury; disease, insect and weed seedling identification; etc. Other topics may include but are not limited to, pesticide safety, nutrient disorders, and herbicide injury.
More information about the crop scouting competition and instructions on how to register a team are available online at cropwatch.unl.edu/youth.
Teams must be registered by July 16th. This program is sponsored by DuPont Pioneer, Nebraska Independent Crop Consultant Association and Nebraska Extension.
Upcoming Livestock Shows
April 21 - Saunders County Beef Progress Show - Wahoo, NE
June 10 - 4-H Horse Show - Wahoo, NE
Rabbit Tattoo Party
Tractor Safety Training 2018
All youth aged 14 and 15 and working on a farm or ranch other than their own MUST be certified through a Hazardous Occupations Course. Successful completion of the course will allow trained youth to operate a tractor over 20 horsepower, or to connect or is connect an implement or any of its parts to or from a tractor.
Cost for the training is $60.
Closest training is Wayne Fairgrounds, June 19 & 20.
Find it online here.
NEW Quality Assurance = YQCA
Requirements: Online - 3 modules @ $12 total
OR Face-2-Face training @ $3 total Scheduled for June 1st @ 9:30 am, Pender Fire Hall
OR Test Out for Intermediate & Senior @ Free
Thurston County 4-H Council has voted to provide scholarships for these fees after youth fill out a short form. Found here: https://unl.box.com/s/20uwv5vi6jtl4ef55wvmrebkj9kmk1lp
Here are some quick Log In Instructions:
1. Go to yqca.org from your computer browser and select Sign In/Register Tab
2. Sign in and register using the 4-H Online box
3. Select the name of your organization from the pick list Nebraska 4-H Youth Development
4. Use your 4-H Online user name and password to start the process
5. Select the member name taking the course
6. Select the age of the member in the appropriate box
7. When the age is selected the appropriate courses will be selected
8. Select online choice (Instructor led class will be developed by your local instructor)
9. Select payment method credit card or if you have received a coupon code from your Extension Office you will enter it at this time to purchase the courses
10. After completing the three courses be sure to save and print out a completion certificate and take it to your Extension Office
11. For swine exhibitors the number on your completion certificate will be used as the number that will be asked for by swine buyers
12. If you encounter problems you can contact email@example.com
Nebraska Youth Pork Conference: "Makin' Bacon...and a WHOLE Lot More!"
High school aged youth who have a pork industry, meats, and/or culinary may have an interest to apply for our 3rd Nebraska Youth Pork Conference, “Makin’ Bacon … and a WHOLE Lot More!” to take place at the University of Nebraska Animal Science Department. The conference will be conducted Wed., May 30 (start ~ 1 pm) through Friday, June 1 (end ~ noon). This program is geared toward high school aged youth, 16 years of age or older. Students who will be graduating in 2018 are welcome and encouraged to join us!
For more information youth may go to http://www.nepork.org/makin-bacon-whole-lot/ where they can read more about the program and to apply online. Online applications (including a reference letter) are due Friday, April 13.
Submitting Animal Information into AKSARBEN Livestock Database
2018 State Fair & AKSARBEN Livestock Identification Requirements
1. Exhibitors will be required to enroll in 4-H and the required projects by the county deadline in 4H Online.
2. Exhibitors showing market animals at State Fair or AKSARBEN must have a signed and sealed official DNA collector with hair samples for DNA verification turned into their county office and have completed the online nomination (www.showstockmgr.com) along with submitting payment online by the appropriate deadline listed in the table. Any animal carrying an 840 EID tag will require the exhibitor to obtain a Premises ID. Contact the local Extension Office for details. (It is recommended that you make a copy or a photo image of completed envelope you turn into your county.)
3. Exhibitors showing breeding beef, breeding sheep and breeding does at State Fair or AKSARBEN will need to complete an online nomination (www.showstockmgr.com) by the June 15 deadline.
4. Exhibitors will be required to complete Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) for the enrolled livestock projects by the county deadline.
5. Exhibitors will notify the County Extension Staff of any retags that may occur up to time of check-in at either the State Fair or AKSARBEN show.
6. Exhibitors will select which animal entries they have chosen to show at State Fair on the State Fair pre-entry website. All nominated and validated animals will be automatically listed as a choice option for pre-entry registration.
7. 4‐H and FFA youth participants will declare which youth organization they will show their animal projects by August 10 in ShoWorks.
a. If an animal is shown in FFA at the State Fair, it is no longer eligible for AKSARBEN. If an animal is entered in FFA, but isn’t exhibited, that animal will still be eligible to be exhibited at AKSARBEN.
8. Exhibitors will be required to bring the breed registration association paperwork to check-in at State Fair for animals wanting to show in a breed class. The exhibitors name should be identified on the registration paper.
2018 Nebraska District 4-H Horse Shows
Reminder: All Entries for the State Horse Show must be mailed by May 11, 2018.
2018 4-H Horse Show Dates and Sites
- June 13th - Ord
- June 14th - York
- June 20th - Gordon
- June 21st - Central City
- June 22nd - Curtis
- July 15-19 - State Horse Show - Fonner Park, GI