Hawai‘i AATSP Spring Newsletter
Argentina in Hawai‘i
Argentina in Hawai‘i Opening Reception
Monday, Jan. 14th, 3:30pm
2550 McCarthy Mall
Please visit the Argentina in Hawai‘i Website for the event calendar and information.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Celebración de días festivos/Festa de férias
National Spanish Exam
Below is some information on changes to the National Spanish Exam from our NSE Coordinator, Jami Higashi-Lee
Beginning with the 2018-2019 academic year, NSE will provide two options to teachers as follows:
- NSE – National Spanish Examinations
All registration and test administration procedures will remain unchanged from 2018.
- NSA – National Spanish Assessments
AATSP announces a new series of examinations called the National Spanish Assessments.
The National Spanish Assessments (NSA) are the non-contest version of the NSE. The NSA is valid assessment tool written from the same specifications and standards as the National Spanish Examinations.
- Registration and testing can take place throughout the academic year.
- The cost of the NSA is $3 per student.
- Each of the four modules (Interpretive Reading, Interpretive Listening, Vocabulary, and Grammar) can be administered separately.
- Each of the four modules can be administered twice and at different points in the year to show growth.
- The NSA is not part of the NSE contest, and there are no prizes nor scholarships.
- Results are available immediately through the teacher’s Quia account.
- Results are provided in points and percentages, not in percentiles.
AATSP is currently working with Telefónica Educación Digital to develop the SEAL Exam. This full-proficiency examination combines the NSA exam scores, M1 (Interpretive Reading) and M2 (Interpretive Listening), with the SIELE S5 scores for Presentational Speaking and Writing.
- Schools must apply to become testing centers to administer SIELE through the SIELE website.
- Approved test centers can administer other SIELE exams in addition to the SEAL exam.
- Teachers register for the SEAL exam through the NSE website using ONE online registration form.
- The cost of the SEAL Exam is $89.
- Results are generally available within three weeks of testing.
- Results are provided as a proficiency using CEFR proficiency levels.
NOTE: Correlation of CEFR levels to ACTFL levels are readily available.
Another big change is in the cost. The National Fee is still $4 but our chapter fee for HI is now $1.50 (formerly $2).
Now through february 28th
¡Juntos más fuertes: el español y el portugués! Juntos mais fortes: o espanhol e o português!
It's Poster Contest time again!
Each year, the AATSP sponsors the Poster Contest for K-12 students enrolled in Spanish and Portuguese classes. The first round of the contest allows students the opportunity to be celebrated on the local level. Prizes and certificates will be awarded to the winning posters in each category. Hawaii winners will also be entered into the National AATSP Poster Contest.
Teachers are encouraged to participate in the contest to provide the opportunity to discuss with students the benefits of learning another language. Students illustrate their ideas to demonstrate their understanding of the importance of and uses for language learning.
The AATSP Poster Contest:
- Is an excellent project for Hispanic heritage exploration and world language celebrations
- Encourages cross-curriculum collaboration (social studies, art, and technology)
- Verbalizes appreciation for other languages and cultures
- Promotes creative thinking
- Celebrates visual learners
- Celebrates artistic expression
- Is a great program-advocacy tool
- Is an excellent way to engage the enthusiasm of our students!
This year's theme is:
¡Juntos más fuertes: el español y el portugués!
Juntos mais fortes: o espanhol e o português!
The Hawaii AATSP chapter contest deadline is February 28, 2019.
Email our local AATSP Chapter Poster Contest Coordinator, Heather Paulino, email@example.com
- Please clearly complete and submit a digital student form for all posters
- Please, also, clearly print and affix the student form to the back of the hand-drawn poster:
Mail Posters to:
AATSP Poster Contest
Moanalua High School
2825 Ala Ilima St
Honolulu HI 96818
Visit www.aatsp.org for chapter contact information.
Posters must be submitted to the Local Contest Coordinator ONLY.
All posters become the property of the AATSP and will not be returned. With submission of the entry, permission is automatically granted to the AATSP to use the poster or poster image, the school’s name, and the student’s name.
AATSP Awards & Scholarships
ScholarshipsEach year, the AATSP awards up to fifteen $500 conference travel stipends and up to ten scholarships for research or study abroad. You can find more details and download an application on our website – www.aatsp.org – under the Awards & Scholarships tab. Deadline is January 31, 2019.
Each year the AATSP offers a number of awards that recognize the achievements of AATSP members. The awardees are honored during the annual AATSP Annual Conference and receive a plaque and a check for $500. Visit the AATSP website for more information. Deadline is May 1, 2019.
Webinar by Bill VanPatten
Thursday, Jan. 17th, 7am
This is an online event.
Visit the AATSP website for more information on the webinar.
HALT Spring Conference
Saturday, April 13th, 8am
2645 Dole Street
33rd Hawai‘i Association of Language Teachers (HALT)
“Celebrating the International Year of Indigenous Languages"
Saturday, April 13, 2019
UH Mānoa Campus
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
2019 has been proclaimed as the International Year of Indigenous Languages by the United Nations General Assembly. With 40% of the approximately 6,700 languages in the world facing extinction, so too may the cultures and knowledge systems associated with those communities be lost. As the United Nations General Assembly asserts, “Indigenous languages add to the rich tapestry of global cultural diversity. Without them, the world would be a poorer place.”
We welcome proposals on the conference theme and other areas in language teaching and learning. Have you, for example, developed a new course, teaching technique, activity idea, materials, or assessment tool recently? Are you and your colleagues building a plan for greater language advocacy, resources, or community involvement? Have you incorporated new technology tools into your lessons?
We know you have great ideas for the language classroom, so come and share them with your colleagues! Become an integral part of our upcoming conference by submitting a proposal for a 45-minute paper or workshop session. As an added bonus, for each proposal accepted, HALT will waive the registration fee for one presenter.
Deadline for submissions: February 23, 2019.
HALT Conference Call for Proposals online submission form:
The AATSP 101st Annual Conference
Monday, July 8th, 8am to Thursday, July 11th, 5pm
500 Hotel Circle North
San Diego, CA
Stronger Together: Spanish and Portuguese
Juntos más fuertes: el español y el portugués
Juntos mais fortes: o espanhol e o português
Visit the AATSP website to register.