The Cardinal Bookmark
GHS Library News - April 2019
Authors/Live @Greenwich Library in May
- Patricia Chadwick, author of Little Sister (May 6)
- An Evening of Baseball History with NYT national baseball writer Tyler Kepner and New York Daily News sportswriter Wayne Coffey, authors of K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches and They Said it Couldn't Be Done: The '69 Mets, New York City, and the Most Astounding Season in Baseball History (May 8)
- Roger McNamee, author of Zucked: Waking Up to the Facebook Catastrophe (interviewed by Fortune Magazine President and CEO Alan Murray) (May 13)
- Flemming Heilmann, author of Odyssey Uncharted: A World War II Childhood Adventure and Education Wrapped in Mid-20th Century History (May 16)
- Veera Hiranandani, author of 2019 Newbery Honor Award Book The Night Diary (May 18)
- Peter Balakian, poet and 2016 Pulitzer Prize winner for Ozone Journal (May 19)
- Gender Diversity in Investment Management with Meredith Jones, one of Inc. Magazines "17 Inspiring Women to Watch in 2017" and author of Women of the Street: Why Female Money Managers Generate Higher Returns (And How You Can Too) (May 20)
Summer Reading 2019 Faculty/Staff Recommendations
Every year we compile summer reading pics for distribution to faculty, staff, and students, as well as for the summer reading display in the Media Center.
If you have a great book recommendation for your colleagues and/or for students, please let us know by filling out this Summer 2019 Faculty/Staff Book Picks Form by Friday, May 31. Thank you!
Food for Thought
Why Boomers and Gen X'ers are Wrong to Bash Gen Z... why we shouldn't judge Generation Z by the standards of previous generations.
A Harvard Linquist's (and Bill Gates's Favorite Author) 13 Simple Tips for Becoming a Great Writer.. writing well is hard but Steven Pinker managed to boil the essentials down to just 13 tweet-length tips.
This College Basketball Team Banned Smartphones. Now It's in the Final Four... the power of disconnecting from tech.
And finally, in honor of National Library Week, 10 Reasons Librarians Are More Important Than Ever.
Check out a new book!
To help us in formulating our strategic plan, we want to hear from YOU! Students, parents, faculty, and staff - what ideas, comments, and/or suggestions do you have about the GHS Library?