Discovery Education Streamathon
The Grooviest PD Learning Event
Coming to you LIVE from Discovery Education Headquarters in Silver Spring, MD, is the Discovery Education Streamathon! Taking you back to the 70’s is a telethon-style, day-long virtual professional learning event. Join thousands of educators across the world for this free “idea-sharing” marathon where you will be diggin’ some new, groovy ways to integrate Discovery Education into your instruction. Join Terra-Lee Gratton as she hosts the livestreamed event at the St.Paul Elementary School.
Groovy Learning Day
Saturday, Oct. 25th, 9am-2pm
St Paul Elementary School, St. Paul, AB, Canada
St Paul, AB
All sessions will be recorded so that attendees can view at their leisure.
- 9:00 Welcome to the Discovery Education Community, Lance Rougeux
- 9:30 Spotlight on Strategies, Emily Murn
- Are you familiar with Discovery Education? Are you looking for creative ways to utilize digital media? We have heard your SOS call! Join us to learn how discovery educators from around the globe are engaging their students with videos, images, audio files and more through the Spotlight on Strategy series. Walk away with ready to use integration strategies to incorporate into your curriculum.
- 10:00 50 Ways in 50 Minutes, Matt Monjan
- Think you’ve seen 50 you’ve seen them all? Think again. Attend this session to learn how Discovery Education can: be integrated into free digital tools to create interactive formative assessments, shine the light on innovative strategies, use digital media to address multiple modalities…and that’s just in the first 39 ways!
- 11:00 Back-to-School with Discovery Education, Max Brooks
- Discovery Education is ready to help you engage your learners like never before. Learn new instructional strategies for differentiating instruction and gathering evidence of what your students know. We will highlight a myriad enhancements for the new school year such as the new Discovery Education homepage, Board Builder, My DE, and new upload feature in My Content, Quicklist, and more!
- 11:30 Show and Tell: 21st Century Style, DEN Guru Tracy Carpenter
- 12:00 A Day in the Life of a Discovery Educator, Jannita Demian
- Ever wish you could walk through the classrooms of other educators to learn how they are using digital media? Join us as we go walk down the virtual halls and learn how Discovery Education is being used to creatively engage students in core subject areas.
- 1:00 Student Perspectives, Hosted by Jeanette Edelstein
- Hear from students who are using Discovery Education to learn and explore. This session will feature several students showcasing their work and discussing how they use their Discovery Education student accounts.
- 1:30 Education Unplugged, Dr. Lodge McCammon
- Tune in for a rare acoustic performance by Dr. Lodge McCammon. In addition to discussing his content-songwriting process, Dr. Lodge will play a song or two from his extensive curriculum-music catalogue found in Discovery Education Streaming.
- 2:00 Book Trailers 101: Using Discovery Content with iMovie, DEN Guru Sandi Dennis
- Join our resident DENbrarian to learn the steps for creating a book trailer by using iMovie and the iMovie iPad App! This session will demonstrate how to use Discovery visuals which contribute to the meaning, tone, and beauty of texts in your classroom or library media center. Everyone is welcome
- 2:30 Whose Board is it Anyway? Dean Shareski
- Your first question might be “What is a Board Anyway”? Whether you’re new to Discovery Education’s Board Builder tool or a veteran, we’ll have fun exploring some of the possibilities and great ideas students and teachers have been sharing. You’ll be able to play along at home or take note of the ways in which you and your students can demonstrate and showcase learning.
- 3:00 Your Most Valuable Resource, Porter Palmer
- Since the Discovery Educator Network was founded in 2005, we have shared a singular mission: to connect educators to their most valuable resource…each other. In this session, join us as we celebrate Connected Educator Month and share upcoming opportunities for you to grow professionally and personally through rich connections with other Discovery educators.
- 3:30 The Hall Davidson Wrap Up Show, Hall Davidson