Logan Earnest & Natalie Kersey
Mayan vs the Aztec
Fun facts about the mayan and aztecs society. Different sections include: Sports and game, women and children, beliefs, education, occupation, hygiene, and other.
Los deportes y el juego
Las mujeres y Los niños
- Girls started learning chores, spinning at 4 years old and cooking at 12
- Girls educated was basically training for marriage
- punishment of children was painful. One form of punishment had the parent holding their child over a chili pepper fire and forcing them to inhale the chili pepper smoke.
- Children were named after the day they were born. Each day had a name, and mayans followed the ritual of naming their child whatever the day was called.
- Women and girls wore their hair long and took care that it was always combed and arranged attractively.
- Different hairstyles signaled the marital status of women.
- Women wore bones as jewelry
- They stayed inside and made clothes and art while the men worked in the field.
- They used bark from a fig tree as paper
- Extremely advanced doctors
- They were called Shamans
- They Mayas sutured wounds with human hair, healed fractures and were even skilled dental surgeons.
- They would fill teeth with iron pyrite
- Bathed twice a day compared to Europeans who went days in the same clothing
- Chocolate was prized by the Aztecs (money or sacrifice)
- One of their Kings, Talcaelel, rewrote their history erasing bad times they had
- feathers of birds were a popular accesory
- If you were arrested for being intoxicated your punishment for second offence was death
- If you were a commoner found wearing cotton clothes your punishment was death
- They had a desire for an unnatural beauty.
- Included pressing boards on baby’s foreheads to make a smooth flat surface.
- Crossed baby’s eyes by dangling objects in front of their faces until their eyes were permanently crossed.