NRMS Family Newsletter
For the weeks of January 16th & 23rd, 2023
North Rockford Middle School
Assistant Principal: Al Reickard
Student Activities/AD: Jen Domagalski
Counselors: Karla Koops-Fikse and Angie Ohlman
NWEA MAP Growth Testing starts MONDAY!
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
- January 16th-27th- Winter MAP Growth Testing
- January 18th- Early Release Day
- January 24th- In Person Parent Teacher Conferences
- January 26th- Virtual Parent Teacher Conferences
- February 2nd - 7th Grade Vision Screening
- February 3rd - Middle Mania
- February 7th- 9th Grade Orientation RHS Auditorium 6p.m.
- February 8th- Count Day
- February 20th-21st-No School Mid-Winter Break
- March 3rd- Early Release Day
- March 8th- PAC Meeting
- March 22nd- Early Release Day
- March 30th-April 7th- Spring Break
NWEA MAP Growth Testing starts Monday!
WINTER TESTING SESSION
January 16th - 27th
NWEA Map Growth Parent Video Link
- This assessment helps our students see their growth and achievement. It also provides information to families and schools on how we are doing in comparison to students across the Nation.
- The scores from this winter assessment are used as a data point for future planning and scheduling of students. This assessment is used when considering students for academically advanced classes and classes that offer additional support, which includes ROCK and LAB course offerings.
A few tips to help your child:
- Please encourage your child to do their personal best!
- Help your child to be well rested.
- Minimize the use of technology prior to bedtime.
- Have your child eat a well-balanced breakfast or eat breakfast at school.
- This is an adaptive test that adjusts depending on your child's responses. There will be some questions that may challenge your child. Please encourage your child to use the test-taking strategies they have earned throughout the school year.
6th Grade Testing Schedule:
- Reading: Monday, January 16th
- Math: Thursday, January 19th
- Science: Monday, January 23rd
- Language Usage, Wednesday, January 25th
7th and 8th Grade Testing Schedule:
- Reading: January 16th and 17th
- Math: January 18th and 19th
- Science: January 23rd and 24th
- Language Usage: January 25th and 26th
Parent Teacher Conferences
January 24th from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm
In-person Parent Teacher Conferences
January 26th from 3;30 to 6:30 pm
(Option of a Google Meet, Phone Call, or E-mail)
Please look for the sign-up links coming soon!
Rockford Youth Night
Friday, February 24, 2023 6:00pm - 8:00pm
At MVP Sports Club in Rockford
Middle School students (Grades 5th-8th) are invited to spend an evening playing basketball, dodge ball and volleyball with local police officers and fire fighters.
Pizza and T-Shirts guaranteed for only those that pre-register.
Cost is $10.00 to pre-register (Guaranteed T-Shirt) and $10.00 at the door (NO T-Shirt)
Pre-Registration Deadline: February 16th, 2023
ALL REGISTRATIONS SHOULD BE TURNED INTO ROCKFORD PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT AT 7 S MONROE, ROCKFORD 49341
Rockford Ram Nitro Shotgun Team
North Rockford MS Yearbook
Cost: $39 August 1st–October 10th
Cost: $42 October 8th–December 16th
Cost: $45 December 17th–May 5th
Purchase your yearbook now at the lowest price of the year.
To order go to:
NRMS Counseling Support
Mrs. Koops-Fikse and Mrs. Ohlman are here to support your child! If your child is in need of academic, social, or emotional support, please have them come to our office. We are also available by contacting (616) 863-6313.
Last Names A - L: Karla Koops-Fikse
Last Names M-Z: Angie Olhman
NRMS Counseling Dog
UOFM Middle School & Parent/Caregiver Digital Wellness Workshop on Sat 1/21
Calling 6th, 7th and 8th Graders and Their Parents/Caregivers!
Middle school can be a time when kids are getting their first phones, texting, signing up for social media, and exploring the web on their own. Sometimes, online life is fun and rewarding, connecting us to our interests and the people we care about. At other times, it can feel overwhelming, addictive, or manipulative.
The past two years have reminded us of how much we rely on our devices. We want kids to thrive when they are online, and we want parents and caregivers to have confidence and tools for supporting that journey.
Please join us Saturday, January 21st, from 9:00 a.m.—12:00 p.m., for the University of Michigan Digital Wellness Conference! We’re looking for two-person teams (middle schooler plus parent/caregiver) to join us on Zoom for a fun morning of learning, conversation, and activities about healthy online behaviors.
There will be time for tween/teen-only activities with U-M students, time for adults to engage Q&A with featured speaker Victoria Saylor of CommonSense Media, breaks to get up and move around and at-home conversation prompts or fun challenge activities to complete together.
Each family that participates will receive a Digital Wellness care package after the symposium which includes the book Raising Humans in a Digital World: Helping Kids Build a Healthy Relationship with Technology. As well as some fun Michigan swag!
Registration is $15/family with a free option for those who need it.
Learn more and register here: https://bit.ly/dws-2023
Absences are required to be called into the attendance office @ 616.863.6300 in order to be excused.
Please leave a message on our voicemail if you are calling after hours.
- Student's name
- Reason for Absence - if it is an illness we need to know the symptoms of the illness - vomiting, coughing, fever, cold, diarrhea - whatever the reason may be
NRMS PARENT RESOURCES
Spanish Immersion News
SPANISH IMMERSION APPLICATIONS
Spanish Immersion In-district Applications are now being accepted. If you have an incoming Kindergartener and would like them to be put in the Spanish Immersion Lottery please fill out the following form - https://forms.gle/XbjPJgQGDwfJqoTKA