The Weekly Update
July 13- 20
This Week's Highlights
This week FCS was back in action, working on student schedules for the 2018-19 school. Did you know that every student at FCS is hand scheduled?! That means we look at all the information we have on your student to ensure that they receive classes that best fit their needs! Although our teachers are not paid during the summers they are great to answer questions, review information and make recommendations to ensure that every student is getting what they need to be successful. We will begin parent/student meetings in mid-August to ensure that students are prepared for the year.
Math Challenge: Geometric Thinking-5 parts!
For each of the problems below, you should make the shape and then convince your audience (me), the skeptic. Start with a square sheet of paper and make folds to construct a new shape. Explain how you know the shape you constructed has the specified area.
Start with a square sheet of paper and make folds to construct a new shape. Explain how you know the shape you constructed has the specified area.
1. Construct a square with exactly ¼ the area of the original square. Convince me that it is a square and has ¼ of the area.
2. Construct a triangle with exactly ¼ the area of the original square. Convince me that it has ¼ of the area.
3. Construct another triangle, also with ¼ the area, that is not congruent to the first one you constructed. Convince me that it has ¼ of the area.
4. Construct a square with exactly ½ the area of the original square. Convince me that it is a square and has ½ of the area.
5. Construct another square, also with ½ the area, that is oriented differently from the one you constructed in #4. Convince me that it has ½ of the area.
Adapted from: Fostering Geometric Thinking: A Guide for Teachers, Grades 5-10, by Mark Driscoll, 2007, p. 90, http://heinemann.com/products/E01148.aspx
Entries can be submitted here: https://flipgrid.com/5f1756 (PW:MathRocks!)
2018-19 Foothills Community School Supply List
Needed Materials2-Composition Books (not spiral-bound)
1- 5 subject spiral notebook w/ pockets
1- Pronged Folder
Black and Blue Pens
Backpack or Bag for transportation of materials
Optional (but helpful)
Orientation Trip- Aug. 27-28
Our orientation trip for the 2018-19 school year will be a the YMCA-Blue Ridge Assembly this year. The cost of the trip is $50.00 and will be due by Aug. 1st, 2018. All forms will be given out this week, but are included below.
Upcoming Dates and Information
July 23rd-27th- Robotech Camp @ FCS ($75 half day, $125 Whole Day)
Aug 1st- Orientation Camp Cost Due
Aug 23-24-Welcome Back Scholar Meetings
Aug 27-28- Orientation Camp