White Rock Elementary
Principal Update 9/10/17
White Rock Elementary Expansion Update
A Project Programming Committee (PPC) of parents, teachers, administrators and the architectural team from Perkins + Will is meeting this spring to provide information that will help guide the architects with design elements.
Summaries of PPC meetings, as well as presentations and supporting materials, can be found on the WRE website.
Nominate the next H‑E‑B Excellence in Education Award Recipient & Let’s make it a Seahawk Staff Member
Created in 2002, the H‑E‑B Excellence in Education Awards are designed to honor outstanding public-school professionals and to thank them for their dedication and commitment. Through this program, H‑E‑B seeks to pay tribute to those educators who go the extra mile each and every day to serve their students and their communities and who inspire others to do the same.
Nominate a Teacher, Principal, School District, School Board or Early Childhood Facility You can nominate in any of the categories. Find the category you would like to nominate someone in and scroll to the bottom of the criteria to “Make A Nomination” (refer to the attached example).
Please let me know if I can provide any information or submit a letter of recommendation if you end up nominating one of our amazing staff members.
Acknowledgment Letter for the RISD Student & Parent Code of Conduct
Please sign a copy of the Student and Parent Guidebook and Student Code of Conduct letter per district request and turn into your childs teacher.
The letter can be found here:
WREck the Night
After School Hours Seahawk Awesomeness! http://wredadsclub.com/
This event goes down on Friday, September 29. So, get registered as soon as possible to reserve your campsite. I look forward to seeing all my sweet Seahawks there.
Join the WRE ~ RISD Spirit Run Team
It’s time to register for the 2017 RISD Spirit Run! We recently found out that we have exceeded our campus goal of 10 staff members registering for the race! Now I am passing along information to parents and students who would like to participate, as well. The race will take place on Saturday, November 4th at 8am at Galatyn Park in Richardson. Please see the tentative timeline below. You can also visit www.risdspiritrun.com for more information. We hope you can make it…it’s going to be a lot of fun! Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
Spirit RUn 2017 Tentative Participant Timeline:
6:30 am Volunteer Check-In (On the Plaza)
7:00 am Registration / Check-in (On-Site) opens
7:15 am Sponsors Breakfast
8:00 am 1 Mile Walk/Fun Run; 5K route closes to traffic
8:25 am Opening Ceremonies and National Anthem (Berkner JROTC Color Guard)
8:30 am Start 5K Run
9:30 am Awards Ceremony (Opportunity to demonstrate RISD Spirit!)
10:30 am Event Plaza Clean-Up
WRE ~ New School Website
We are excited to announce that our new school website is live! You can view our new site now at http://schools.risd.org/WhiteRockES. You may also find this link at any time by visiting the risd.org homepage.
You may notice a few different things in comparison to our previous Edline page. Parents and students will not have or need accounts in our school’s new website to view information. The website will also not include classroom pages. This will make it easier for parents to access important information and stay up-to-date on current WRE news.
We hope you will find our new website easy and convenient to use on both computer and mobile device. If you have any questions, please send an email to Emily.Holloway@risd.org or Keila.Morales@risd.org.
4th & 5th Graders....Join Botball
Are you interested in learning more about robotics and computer programming? Apply to join the wre Botball Team today!
What is Botball®?
Botball® is a hands-on coding program that uses an engineering design process with robots. The WRE Botball Team is designed for 4th and 5th grade students.
Who is coaching Botball® at WRE?
Ms. Collier (3rd Grade) and Ms. Needham (K)
Ms. Clark (2nd grade) and Ms. McGinnis (Librarian)
When will the Botball® team meet?
Monday’s 3:00-4:30 in the library (exact dates TBD )
How can I apply?
To apply, login to Google Classroom using your RISD Gmail, enter Class code: tmzt0w and submit the following application materials by the deadline – September 14th at 3:00p.m.:
(1) Student Information Form: Complete this form with your parent/guardian.
(2) Written Response about:
· Your computer knowledge;
· Your interest in robotics and computer programming; and
· Your ability to work with others (collaborative skills)
(3) Video (2 minutes max), “I’m ready for Botball® because…”
Space is limited!
This is the second year for the Botball® team at WRE. Space is limited in the program to ensure its success. Applications will be reviewed by the Botball Coaches and the Botball Administrative Committee. Selection will be made based on the applications received. Students will be notified of their application status by Friday, September 15th.
Here is the link to the video: it’s ADORABLE and melts my heart every time. https://youtu.be/4IMlz09MGG8
*Interested in learning more? Please visit: www.juniorbotballchallange.org
Fair Day~ No School
Friday, Oct. 6th, 7:30am to Monday, Oct. 9th, 3pm
9229 Chiswell Road
Have the hap-hap-happiest Fair Day ever! Take lots of pictures by Big Tex and tag Sammy Seahawk.
I hope all of you enjoy your four-day weekend! See you on Tuesday, October 10th.
One of the requirements of the updated bullying legislation is allowing the opportunity for students to anonymously report bullying. Each elementary campus in RISD will receive a 12 inch metal box with a small area on top to allow students to submit an anonymous bullying form. The WRE box will be mounted in our library.
Texting & Driving Law Now In Effect
Please be aware that texting and driving is now illegal in Texas, regardless of being in a school zone. Information to know from our Police Department partners about the new law:
- The law targets people who are looking at their cellphones (reading, writing or sending a text message) while driving.
- Law enforcement will be on the lookout for drivers whose heads are down and who are swerving. "That's a huge indicator that they might be texting and driving."
- If a driver is stopped at a red light, it's not a violation to be looking at a phone because they're not "operating a vehicle" in that moment. However, texting at a red light can often cause a hazard because drivers don't notice when the light turns green. "If an officer sees that person is moving on but still texting and driving, they'll pull them over."
- Cellphones can be used for GPS navigation and music, though drivers might still get pulled over if officers suspect them of texting. "The key here is keeping your head up and keeping your hands on the wheel." Officers often see people with a knee on the steering wheel as they text with one hand. "If somebody cuts in front of them then they are immediately at a disadvantage to maneuver out of the way."
- Instead of texting, seek out hands-free technology, like Bluetooth headsets or dictation functions and apps that type out words spoken aloud.
- Using a cellphone to report an emergency, like a car crash, while driving is OK under the law. "Of course we need to get emergency medical personnel there as quickly as possible."
- Those who are caught texting and driving will face a fine up to $99 for the first offense and those who've previously been convicted could face up to $200.
Photo Identification ~ Entrance To Our Campus
All visitors must follow RISD's, and WRE's, building entry procedures and must sign in at the front office upon arrival and provide proper identification to receive authorization to enter the school. If you do not provide proper identification you will not be allowed to enter the building.
Your child's safety is our number one priority! We want to thank you for adhering to our guidelines and rules, and helping keep our school safe.
Volunteer Application Form
If you or a family member would like to volunteer, you will have to complete an online background check. Please note, it takes two weeks to process.
All volunteers must submit a form annually, even if you are a returning volunteer and had one the prior year.
Here is the link: http://www.risd.org/group/community/VolunteerOpportunities.html
Do we have your current email and phone number?
If it has changed over the summer, please call the front office, 469-593-2700, or come by the WRE Office.
Dates to remember
September 28 -
- Local School Council Meeting, 5:30-6:30 pm, WRE Library
- PTA Board Meeting, 6:30 pm, WRE Library
September 29 - WREck the Night (Brought to you by Dad's Club)
October 2 -
- Parents & Family members can eat with their WRE Seahawk
- Fall tutoring begins
October 6 - No School (Fair Day)
October 9 - No School (Fair Day)
How to get connected
It is our desire to keep you informed of all that is taking place at school. Up-to-date and additional information will be sent to you though the weekly “Red Folder” and will appear on our school web page. Please save these websites to your favorite bar, like our page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. By doing this you will be up to date on all the latest and greatest things happening around WRE!
Campus Schoolwires page: https://schools.risd.org/WhiteRockES
PTA website: http://www.wrepta.org
Dad's Club website: http://wredadsclub.com
Facebook: Search for - Sammy Seahawk (https://www.facebook.com/sammy.seahawk.35)
Twitter: You can follow us - @WreHappenings