Books! Gadgets! Fun!
October brings more fun and learning in the NPES Learning Commons! We are participating in the Global Cardboard Challenge with our very own Cardboard Carnival on Friday, September 30; we are continuing the "Read Your Way to the Big Game" contest; and BOOK FAIR is coming early this year! Read the newsletter for more details about all of these awesome events!
Teachers, please know that we are here to pull books, help with research projects, and more! Let us know what you need! Parents, if you need book suggestions or ideas of ways to get your kids excited about reading, let us know!
Valerie Byrd Fort, Sarah Sheely, Karen Gobbi, and Brenda Burkett
Global Cardboard Challenge/NPES Cardboard Carnival
There will also be a district-wide Cardboard Challenge at the Lexington Technology Center on October 1! More details available here: http://ltc.lexington1.net/tag/cardboard-challenge/
Star Wars READS Day - RESCHEDULED!
Read Your Way to the Big Game!
Put these dates on your calendar!
- Friday, October 21 Teacher Preview/Fill out wish lists (there will be snacks!). 2:45pm - 3:30pm
- Monday, October 24 7:20 - 3
- Tuesday, October 25 7:20 - 3
- Wednesday, October 26 7:20 - 1pm (Collaborative Planning Day - students dismissed at 11:40am. Join us for lunch with Pizza & Pirates 11:45am - 1pm...pizza will be available while supplies last!)
- Thursday, October 27 7:20 - 3pm
- Friday, October 28 7:20 - 2pm
A flyer with more information will go home the week of October 17!
Makerspace Moments are Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 1:30pm in the Learning Commons!
Please note that there will be NO Makerspace Moments the week of BOOK FAIR (October 24 - 28)!
New Providence News Network (WPNN)
Our morning news show is LIVE! We welcome your ideas and suggestions! Thank you for using the life skill of patience as we work through technology issues! If you ever have anything you would like to announce on WPNN, please let Mrs. Sheely or Mrs. Byrd Fort know!
Hear Ye, Hear Ye! October is Word Processing Month!!
Do a few word processing activities in the computer lab with your students using MS Word/Google Docs! (Skills: opening, saving, closing, entering text, formatting toolbar, inserting image, etc. as applicable to your grade level.)
Example documents your students can create:
LifeSkills & Lifelong Guidelines SPOTLIGHT!
There is a display of books when you enter the Learning Commons.
I will also add links and resources to our shared document available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NFsEIehMDFzjrxnwBPpJsen3KBnIgTe4EHJwA2nJLC8/edit
Please feel free to add your own resources for all to see! We are #bettertogether!
Save the date for...
- "Read Your Way to the Big Game" - September 19 - October 19
- NPES Cardboard Carnival - September 30
- Global Cardboard Challenge - October 1 at Lexington Technology Center
- Global Read Aloud - October 3 - November 11
- Auggie's Birthday (from Wonder) - October 10
- Fall Book Fair - October 24 - 28 (Teacher Preview October 21 @2:45pm-3:30pm; Pizza and Pirates Lunch Event October 26 for parents and students @11:45am - 1pm)
- Computer Labs (Cub Lab and Lion Lab)
- Learning Commons
- Makerspace/Burkett/Shahoud (in Learning Commons)
Learning Commons Team Schedule
Mrs. Byrd Fort is at NPES 11am - 3pm every day (4pm on Mondays).
Mrs. Sheely is at NPES 7:20am - 11:30am every day.
Mrs. Gobbi is at NPES 7:30am - 3pm every day (lunch at 11:15 on M,W; 12:20 on T,TH,F).
Ms. Burkett is at NPES 7:30am - 3pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, every other Friday.