Indian Prairie News
Hello Indian Prairie Families! To both new and returning families, I would like you to welcome you to this new and unique school year. We know that this has been a challenging start in many ways, and we appreciate all of you support! Please know that the IP teachers and staff are here to support you, so please reach out to us if you need assistance.
Ms. Shana Cole, Secretary ColeSC@kalamazoopublicschools.net
Ms. Kelly Corrigan, Principal CorriganKE@kalamazoopublicschools.net
Expectations for Remote Learning
Although this is a non-traditional way of learning, please remember that we expect that students behave in a respectful manner, and follow the KPS Code of Conduct (attached below). We appreciate your support in reinforcing learning expectations with your child.
- Your child should be well-rested, well-fed, dressed and ready to learn when live classes begin.
- Although we are learning at home, the KPS models do not mirror actual homeschooling. Please be sure that your child is connected online, his/her camera and microphone are working, and that he/she has necessary materials. Generally, once those things are taken care of, you can go about your day and let your child learn with the teacher and class, just like regular school. The teacher will let you know if there are any issues or concerns!
- Please keep your child's camera turned on. This is important for relationship-building as well as instruction and checks for understanding. Except under very special circumstances, we need to see your child's beautiful, intelligent face!
- Make every effort to have your child participate in every aspect that applies to his/her respective programs: live instruction, special subjects, small groups, and flexible independent work time.
- Communicate with teachers! If you have a question or concern, please contact your child's teacher. This is best reserved for his or her drop-in office hours, or for a private email or phone call (not during your child's live sessions).
- Don't forget that we can see and hear anything within your computer's camera lens and microphone range. If possible, please set your child up in a quiet, low traffic area of your home or learning environment.
- Please keep a positive attitude about distance learning! Your child takes cues from you. If you show him or her that you have a positive attitude, he or she will follow your lead!
For more helpful ideas, please see 10 Tips for Managing Learning from Home, attached below:
Indian Prairie Fall Open House
Thursday, Sep. 17th, 4:30-6pm
This is an online event.
Click here to join the principal's virtual presentation at 4:30 or 5:15, before visiting your child's live open house with his or her teacher. This presentation will be held through Google Meet.
FIRST DAY SHOE FUND
During a typical year, FDSF comes directly to our school. This year, however, there will be a drive-through event held at Wings Event Center instead, taking place on Saturday, September 19 and Sunday, September 20. Indian Prairie families are encouraged to come on Saturday between 1:00 and 3:00, however they will be served anytime during the event if they can't make it during that time. Students will be able to try their shoes on before they leave.
Student Meal Distribution
Indian Prairie is NOT a distribution site, but we have several schools in close proximity to us that are; any student can go to any distribution site. The closest sites to Indian Prairie include King-Westwood Elementary, Kalamazoo Central High School, and Hillside Middle School. Please see the attachment below for a complete list of distribution sites, dates and times.
Mobile Health and Mobile Dental Clinics are Back!
In order to receive services, students must be signed up. If you are interested in participating in Mobile Health and Dental Clinic, please click here to see the Family Health Center's website for more information, or fill out their online electronic registration form (click here).