Alabama Vocal Association
2018 Fall Newsletter
Fall Workshop registration is underway!
This year's workshop features sessions by clinician Dr. Lesley Mann from Belmont University and "How To" sessions by Dr. William Powell, Paul Edmonson, Jim Schaeffer, and Margaret Heron. We will also present changes made during Summer Board, demonstrate the Acceptd All-State audition website, and give information on All-State music.
Teachers who have been teaching in Alabama for 1-3 years are invited to attend the New Teacher Luncheon sponsored by JWPepper. This is a great time to learn about the organization and make some new friends in your district.
Please visit https://www.myamea.org/ava/fallworkshop/ to register.
- $75 pre-registration through August 31
- $95 on-site registration
- Free registration
Veteran Teachers Who Have Not Attended in the Last 3 Years
- Sight-Reading: New guidelines were created by the sight-reading committee and the board for this year. The new guidelines are in the General Membership Handbook and will be presented at Fall Workshop.
- All-State Auditions: We are trialling Acceptd as a possibility for future auditions. This year, each school will be required to have two student submit "Alabama" through Acceptd in addition to the regular, face-to-face auditions.
- All-State Show Choir: In order to promote more participation throughout the state by saving money on travel and time away from school, this year's All-State Show Choir auditions will be done entirely through Acceptd. There will be a demonstration at Fall Workshop on how to use the service.
- All-State Festival: This year, we will have ticketed seating for the All-State concerts as mandated by Samford. Each student will be allowed a set number of tickets and will be given a one-time-use code to order tickets online. Tickets will be $5.50. Director and student tickets will be free. Also, we will be staggering Thursday dinner times to allow students to eat on campus this year to alleviate traffic problems. Meal tickets will be ordered through AVA. More information is forthcoming.
- Facebook: We are working to increase our social media presence in order to better engage the membership and state and provide information about our organization. Like and follow our page at facebook.com/alavocal.
- We will update the membership on other decisions made at Summer Board during our meeting at Fall Workshop. Be sure to register and attend if you have not already done so!
- In order to maintain an up-to-date, viable database of active AVA members, each member must register their contact information on the AVA website before registering for any event. Click here to register for 2018-2019.
- All payments must be sent to Carl Davis, Executive Secretary at 27346 Walnut Grove Road, Elkmont, AL 35620. Please have your bookkeeper update the AVA vendor address. Contact Carl at firstname.lastname@example.org if your school needs a new W-9.
- Each event requires a separate check for payment. Do not combine events with one payment. Please communicate this to your bookkeepers.
- Be sure to get to know your District Chairman. He or she can help you if you have any questions!
- Make sure to renew your NAfME membership so you are eligible for AVA events and are able to access all parts of the website.
- Make sure you don't miss important AVA news or registration deadlines. Sign up for reminders via text or email.