The Lion's Den November 11, 2022
MES Family Newsletter
Thanks to all of our families for coming to Parent Teacher Conferences! We are so thankful for your partnership in supporting your child's growth as a learner. A huge thanks to the families who brought items for our parent/teacher conference day meal. Our taco bar was a success!
It is so hard to believe that we are approaching the last full week of school before the Thanksgiving break! As a reminder, all RCPS schools are closed from November 23-November 25th.
If you have any questions about the information in this newsletter, please call our office at (540) 289-3004. We are happy to help you!
Have a great weekend!
Information From School Nurses
How Sick is Stay-Home-From School Sick?
- Students need to stay home for 24 hours when their temperature is 100 degrees or higher. Do not send your student to school following morning administration of Tylenol or Motrin. In order to return to school, students need to be fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medication.
- Students that are vomiting or have diarrhea (3 or more loose stools) the night before school, they should stay home for 24 hours from the last episode of vomiting or diarrhea.
- Students with persistent yellow/green nasal drainage and have no known allergies or medical history of drainage need to stay home.
- Students with a heavy, persistent cough with sputum present need to stay home until symptoms resolve.
- Students with skin eruptions or undiagnosed skin rashes need to stay home.
- Students that have redness of the eye lining or an irritation of the eyes accompanied by swelling and drainage need to stay home. Students diagnosed with pink eye must stay home until 24 hours of antibiotics have been administered.
- Students prescribed antibiotics must stay home for 24 hours after the first dose is given.
- Students need to stay home if they display any coronavirus symptoms like; fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, fatigue, headache, runny/stuffy nose, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, body/muscle aches, loss of taste or smell.
5th Grade Smencil Sales!
Title I Literacy Night is November 30th!
We are so excited to see you on November 30th from 5:30 pm-7 pm for our Literacy Night! From 5:30 pm -6 pm, we will have pizza and from 6 pm to 7 pm we will have literacy stations. Families will rotate through literacy stations with read-alouds and games. Each family that attends BOTH stations will be entered into a drawing for a prize! We can't wait to share all the great things we are doing with your students in LITERACY!
¡Estamos muy emocionados de verlos el 30 de noviembre de 5:30 pm a 7 pm para nuestra Noche de Alfabetización! De 5:30 pm a 6 pm tendremos pizza y de 6 pm a 7 pm tendremos estaciones de alfabetización. Las familias rotarán a través de las estaciones de alfabetización con lecturas en voz alta y juegos. ¡Cada familia que asista a AMBAS estaciones participará en un sorteo de un premio! ¡Estamos ansiosos por compartir todas las cosas maravillosas que estamos haciendo con sus estudiantes en ALFABETIZACIÓN!
MES November Calendar
Important School Information & Upcoming Dates!
November 21- Mobile Dentist at MES!
November 23-25- Schools Closed for Thanksgiving Break
November 28-December 2- MES Book Fair!
November 29- Fall PICTURE MAKE-UP DAY!
November 30th- First Grade Orf Ensemble Concert 5:00-5:30
5:30-7:00 Literacy Night & Book Fair Evening Hours
Looking WAY Ahead!
December 2nd- Fall into Phonics part 2: Coffee, Donuts, Engagement, FAMILY! 8:20-9:00 am (Cafeteria)
December 2nd- 5th Grade Spelling Bee at 1:00 pm
December 16th- After School Movie & Dinner for students 3:00
December 16th-Gingerbread Jamboree Ornament Night-6:00-7:00 pm
Forms and information for both of these events will come home with students soon!
December 19th- STEM Day! 9 am-12 pm
December 22-January 2- Schools Closed for Winter Break
The 2022-2023 RCPS calendar can be found here!
The Dentist is Coming to School!
- Preventive Dental Services: Oral Exam, Cleaning, X-rays, Fluoride treatments, Sealants
- Restorative Dental Services: Fillings, Pulpotomies, Simple Extractions
The next scheduled dental visit for McGaheysville ES is on November 21st, 2022.
Families may register online using the following link: https://www.myschooldentist.com/MERCVA_schsrm
Library/Media Center News from Ms. Breeden!
We continue to be super busy in the library! Thank you to everyone who has returned the blue 529 contest forms! Almost 100 students have returned their forms! Every student who returns their form by Wednesday, November 30 will receive an animal eraser and be entered into 2 different contests. One will be for a chance to win a $5.00 gift card to the Book Fair (Nov. 28-Dec.2) and the other will be for a chance to win $529 to be deposited into a 529 College/Trade School Savings account!
Speaking of the Book Fair…please be on the lookout for Book Fair info to be coming home over the next few weeks. Our Scholastic Book Fair will run from Monday, Nov. 28-Friday Dec. 2. We will have after school hours on Wednesday, November 30 from 5-7pm. I will also be hosting “Lunch with a Lion” during Book Fair week. This will be an opportunity for parents or grandparents to come in and have lunch with their child and then visit the Book Fair before going back to class. This would be a great opportunity to do a little Christmas shopping! If you’re interested in helping work the Book Fair, please visit the Sign Up Genius link to sign up for a time to volunteer! Book Fair Volunteer
In library classes, 4th and 5th graders will continue working on their lion research project. 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders will continue learning about the Macy’s Day Parade and making their own “floats” for our in house Macy’s Parade. Kindergarteners and pre-k students will continue reading some fun Thanksgiving books and doing Thanksgiving activities while visiting the library.
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me!
Duke Dog Reading Program!
We would like to invite all parents and staff to attend the PTO Meeting on December 8th at 6:30pm. This meeting will be held via Zoom and a link will be provided through the MES PTO Facebook page, PTO Agenda, and anyone that requests it via email from MESLionsPTO@gmail.com. We look forward to working with parents and the staff this year to provide the students a memorable school year.
Every Thursday Evening (5pm til Close) is MES Spirit Night at Romano's Italian Bistro located at 40 New Hope Road in McGaheysville. Just mention MES during your order for dine-in, take-out, or delivery and they will donate10% to the MES PTO. Thank you for your help!
MES PAW Patrollers!
11:00-1:00: Volunteer in the cafeteria for all lunch shifts (PAW Patrollers are encouraged to have lunch with their child/children during their lunchtimes!)
1:00-2:30: Follow your child's schedule as a classroom volunteer. This may include attending specials/recess with your child!
If you want to learn more about signing up as a PAW Patroller, please contact Ms. Mitchell, our school counselor.
Remote Area Medical Info!
1. Student Name
2. Teacher Name
3. Reason for Absence
4. The name of the person submitting the email
You can also use this email address to send Dr. notes!