SEPTEMBER 23, 2022
It was yet another fantastic week to be a Homestead Husky! Good things are on the horizon:
- Busing will return to Homestead from October 3-20, 2022.
- Mr. Keith hopes to be back in the Cafe in early October as well.
This edition of the Husky Update will cover following the following topics:
- Fall Clubs
- Happenings at Homestead
- Art with Mrs. Allen
- Nurse Joan
We are still looking for Noon Duty help. Please apply online and/or call the office.
The heating unit at Homestead is currently in distress and not circulating heat correctly. Please send your student in warm layers just in case their room is a little more chilly than normal.
Popcorn Friday popped off this morning and it's salty and delicious as ever! Popcorn Friday is a fundraiser for PTO. Money raised by the PTO supports Homestead's teachers and students. Thank you to the most amazing group of volunteers who spent their Friday morning at Homestead.
There is still time to sign up to pay for the year with the QR code below.
The intermediate hall will be transformed into Azkaban, which will give students the chance to imprison a teacher or friend who will then have to solve riddles to escape.
The Sorting Hat circled the halls of Homestead this morning and houses are as follows:
Classes are invited and encouraged to dress in their house colors all next week and especially on Friday.
Gryffindor House (Red and Gold; Lion)
- Gryffindors have a strong moral center and are unafraid to act on their morals or seize opportunities to make changes
- Traits: honest practical, passionate, playful, funny, prone to living in the moment, trusting, idealistic, problem solvers!
- Characters: Harry Potter, Hermoine Granger, Ron Weasley, Peter Pettigrew
Slytherin (Green and Silver; Snake)
- Slytherins are respectful, have great ambitions, and strive to make good impressions
- Traits: ambitious, driven, focused on goals, realistic, adaptable, bold, assertive, intelligent, charming, self-reliant, and strive to reach goals!
- Characters: Draco Malfoy, Severus Snape, Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange
Ravenclaw (Blue and Brown; Raven)
- Ravenclaws are known for their intelligence and they love learning!
- Traits: analytical, logical, intelligent, curious, inquisitive, creative, witty, observant, wise, fond of intellectual conversation, and fond of learning.
- Characters: Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang, Rowena Ravenclaw, Padma Patil, Terry Boot
Hufflepuff (Yellow and Black; Badger)
- Hufflepuffs are intensely loyal and take friendship very seriously. Fairness is extremely important to them!
- Traits: Hard-working, determined, tenacious, loyal, honest, genuine, well-rounded, fair, open-minded, giving, good-hearted, accepting, compassionate, patient, and dependable.
- Characters: Cedric Diggory, Susan Bones, Theseus Scamander, Newt Scamander
Ghost Pop and Pumpkin Pop sales start October 3, 2022. Order forms will be sent home next week and can be ordered thru the month of October. (Ghost Pops/Pumpkin Pops are Tootsie Pops wrapped in tissue paper that can be sent to friends via SLC.)
Art Club will meet after school from 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM on the following Tuesdays:
🎨 September 27, 2022
🎨 October 18, 2022
🎨 October 25, 2022
🎨 November 15, 2022
🎨 November 22, 2022
🎨 December 13, 2022
Students will expand on what is learned in art class by creating group projects as well as individual art pieces. Permission slips went home this week to sign and return with a $8.00 supply fee. If you have any questions please contact Mrs. Allen at Allen_Jeanean@asdk12.org or call the front office.
Choir met bright and early Wednesday morning and already sound amazing! Forty-nine students are in choir this fall and currently working on pieces for the Eagle River Tree Lighting Ceremony. (Mark your calendars for this fun family event on December 2, 2022 held in Town Square)
Choir members practiced a top secret piece this week, which will definitely get a laugh from the crowd. There is still time to join choir, so get your permission slips in ASAP if you'd like to be part of the group.
Choir will also be performing a concert at school on December 16th.
Running club had their final practice on Wednesday and had a blast at the rainy jamboree Thursday night at Chugiak High School. Thank you Coach Payne for leading such a fun event for over 100 of our students! Also a big thank you to the volunteers that helped make running club an option for students.
HAPPENINGS AROUND HOMESTEAD
ART WITH MRS. ALLEN
We are a talented bunch at Homestead and couldn't just share one photo from the amazing week in art.
ED CENTER ART SHOW
The three Husky Artists below have been selected to display their art at the Ed Center October 3 - November 21st. Way to go, Huskies!
Thursday, Oct 6th is vision screening/photo screening day.
Vision screening is mandated by the State of Alaska for all students in Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd and 5th grades, and for student NEW to the Anchorage School District. We are also happy to screen students if parents or teachers have a vision concern (please inform your teacher or nurse).
What can parents do?
- Please remind your student to wear their most current glasses at school every day. If prescribed glasses though not wearing glasses during vision screening, your student may not pass and be referred (possibly unnecessarily) for a vision exam by an eye care specialist.
- If your student’s glasses are lost or broken, please inform your teacher and the nurse.
- If your student does not have vision coverage for a vision exam (if needed) and/or for glasses please inform the nurse. I have access to confidential assistance.
- If your student has recently seen an eye care provider or has an upcoming appointment, please let me know.
Contact me with questions or concerns.
Joan Eliassen, BScN, RN
Homestead School Nurse
ph: 742-3555, fax: 742-3567