Avoca West News
Week of October 9, 2020
Share Your Voice - Ongoing Communication
But wait! We still need to hear more from you!
I'm dedicating this edition of the Avoca West News to the various important to-dos for our families. Below you'll find links and communication about:
- 2nd Quarter Learning Schedule Survey -- Shared earlier this week from Dr. Osburn. This is where families can select their preferred learning choice for November through January.
- A NEW Student & Family Needs Assessment (Survey) -- We recognize this is not an easy time for everyone as we are faced with a number of challenges both inside and outside of school. This gives our school team insights into how we might support our students and families in providing resources for all.
- Parent-Teacher Conference Sign Up -- Shared yesterday in an email from Mrs. Hutchison.
Thank you for your help in getting this information so we can plan for the future!
2nd Quarter Learning Schedule Survey
From Dr. Osburn:
Please click on the link below and complete the brief survey to identify which learning schedule - Hybrid or Remote - you are selecting for your student for 2nd quarter.
It is very important that you read the introduction to the survey, as the selections collectively can have stark effects on how we conduct school. Our staff has worked incredibly hard to make the opening of school successful under two different schedules. Major shifts in enrollment in those schedules would require substantial planning and consideration. This is why I am sending this survey now.
In the midst of so much challenge, relationships, stability, and continuity will foster continued learning. At the same time, we first must ensure the safety and health of our onsite environments.
The second part of the survey is optional but asks questions about Thanksgiving and Winter Break travel in order to ascertain what steps the District might take to ensure the safest, healthiest learning environment after Thanksgiving and Winter Break.
Thank you for your time, patience and support. This survey will only be open until the end of the school day on Tuesday, October 13. Anyone who does not complete the survey will remain in their current schedule for the 2nd quarter.
Click here for the 2nd Quarter Learning Schedule Selection Survey
Student & Family Needs Assessment (Survey)
Life since the springtime has brought many challenges to our Avoca community. More than ever, hearing different perspectives and realities of our students and homes is important for us to see how we can support our students and families. In a typical year, we see our students each day and have more opportunities to listen and learn about what they need. Remote and hybrid learning leave us less able to get this sense of how our students and families are doing. We have spent some time this month checking in with our students, but know that adults and caretakers experience things differently that our students may share. Please take a moment (2-3 minutes) to check in on the link below to provide a snapshot of how you see things going for your student(s) and family.
Perhaps even more than academics, schedules, and technology feedback, THIS helps us to see a fuller picture of your child and family and how we might be able to strengthen our community!
The survey will remain open until October 23rd.
Click here for the Student & Family Needs Assessment.
Parent-Teacher Conference Sign Up
- Conferences will take place in the afternoon and evening of October 21st and 22nd.
- School on conference days will be a half day (no lunch) from 9:00-12:00.
- Conferences time slots are 15 minutes each and will take place via Zoom.
- We are using "Meet the Teacher" to book appointments at both Avoca West and Marie Murphy. Visit https://avoca37.meettheteacher.com to book your appointment anytime today, until October 20th at noon.