Team Degn Updates
Friday, October 1, 2021
NOTES FROM THE TEACHER
- Planners: Planners are filled out each morning by your student. The planners will be brought home each night for a parent/guardian to sign off stating that the fifth grader read for 20 minutes a night, or have worked towards their 100 minutes a week that is required to be read.
- Homework: Reading 20 minutes a night is the only homework that will be sent home with your child. After your child has finished reading that night, please sign off in their planner.
- Spelling Words: Spelling words will be sent home on Mondays, and the test will be on Fridays. Please ensure your child is practicing these words.
- Corrected work for more points: You may help your child correct any work that has a grade on it for full credit. After making corrections please send it back to school.
- Please continue to work on simple math facts at home; whether it is addition and subtraction, or multiplication.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me through calling the school, emailing me, or sending a note with your student.
- Masks: Please help remind students that masks are to be warn in the hallways as they enter the school building. Sanitizing and ensuring classroom cleanliness will all contribute to our efforts to remain safe.
- Book Talks: 5th grade is working on our comprehension and exploration of different books! Students are expected to finish at least one chapter book each month and give a book talk about the book.
WHAT WE'RE LEARNING:
Students will identify strategies to use when dividing whole numbers. Students will also use these strategies as they begin looking at problem solving questions, where they have to interpret the remainder of each quotient.
TEST DATE: Friday, October 8th
READING AND WRITING:
In Reading, students will compare and contrast roles and functions of characters in various plots. As well as look into the narrators point of view and how it influences events in the story!
In Writing, students will begin looking at some prewriting strategies before they start writing for their personal memoir.
Order forms have been sent home for the book we are publishing this year, with the topic of "If I were in the Olympics"! Please send back order forms by Friday, October 22nd.
This week, we will be looking at mixtures and solutions this week. We will be doing some different activities to demonstrate something that is a solution versus something that is just a mixture.
TEST DATE: Friday, October 8th
- Tuesday, Oct 5 - PTO Meeting
- Wednesday, Oct 6 - National Walk to School Day!
- Friday, Oct 8 - Mouse Races
- Monday, Oct 11 - NO SCHOOL
- Thursday, Oct 14 - Fall Pictures
- Wednesday, Oct 20 - Early Release at 12:45
- Friday, Oct 22 - End of First Quarter
- Friday, Oct 22 - First Quarter Assembly (no visitors at school)
- Friday, Oct 22 - Olympic Writing Book Order Forms due!
- Monday, Oct 25 - Flu Clinic for Students
- Thursday, Oct 28 - Monthly Assembly
- Friday, Oct 29 - Fall Parties
Linked is also our class Amazon Book Wish List! Students have expressed to me different books that they'd like to see added to our classroom library! Some even feature the recent Mark Twain Nominees! Check out this list here!