Cannon News FLASH
Staff Information & Updates 11/17/14
From the Principal's Pen...
Family STEM Night was an awesome night! There were over 325 families (estimated) in attendance and the feedback we received from our parent survey is very positive and encouraging!
Approximately 96% of the parents responded that the event helped deepen their understanding of STEM-based learning at Cannon. Additionally, 87% of the parents reported that their child was able to explain concepts related with the evening's projects with little or no support. 98% of our Cannon parents ranked their level of enjoyment of the event as high or very high and when asked about future STEM nights, the majority of parents expressed interest in attending a live science demonstration, such as rocketry or astronomy, in conjunction with the night's event.
I wanted to share an excerpt from an email that I received the day after STEM night. This parent also copied her children's teachers, as well as Dr. Ryan.
"Moving our boys from Bear Creek to Cannon was not the easiest decision. Bear Creek is an amazing school so to go from something great to something new took a leap of faith. I am so glad we did. My boys, in 5th and 2nd grade, are THRIVING.
At the Cannon Family STEM night both of my boys could easily and eloquently tell me about their learning, what they were doing, why they were doing it and, why it was important. This type of growth is particularly apparent to me with my youngest. as he has some challenges with academics -- I've known this as a mom for awhile. (And I am confident his teachers are guiding him to reach his potential and guiding mom in ways to help too!) My youngest son comes ALIVE when he talks about school."
THIS is truly the story of every child at Cannon, thanks to all of YOU! Our journey to transform Cannon as a STEM school has not been an easy one, but it has been so rewarding! Through perseverance, hard work, a willingness to shift to a growth mindset, and dedication to continuous learning, we are making a HUGE difference for kids!! Thank you to all staff for the hard work you do each day to make Cannon the BEST school it can be for our scholars, families AND staff!
Proud to be your principal! :)
LISA'S COACHING CORNER
Thank you to Sarah Ganus for sharing this great tip with me, so I can pass it along to the staff! Your desire to share with your colleagues is one reason I LOVE teaching. I am thankful for teachers who value the growth of others, not just students. This reminds me of that saying, "You're only as strong as your weakest link."
The Printable page in Front Row allows teachers to create meaningful math worksheets for every student in his or her class. Front Row gives the option to print both Individualized Practice and Standards-Based Practice, depending upon what you want to accomplish that day.
The Individualized Practice sheets are created based on the skill (standard or sub-knowledge) on which each student in a class is currently working. With one click of the mouse, you will have a PDF document with a personalized printable for every student.
Once you select the domain and click on "Generate (Domain Name) PDF" button, a new tab will open that has a different printable for every student!
After your students are finished practicing, you can check their answers using the answer keys that are generated for each student and located at the bottom of the document. Even if two students are both working on the same skill (3.NBT.2-2.0), they receive printables with different problems.
Since the printables are completely individualized, students are able to work at their own level.
If students work on the same skill for a long time and have difficulty moving on, they will constantly receive different printables to practice that one skill. Since the numbers and questions are different each time, each printable will be different than the time before.
LAST WEEK - A PHOTO REVIEW
BOOK FAIR - A BIG HIT!
Hats off to Tina Berumen for her work to organize and run such a successful Book Fair! This year's fair brought in a new record high of over $8,000 to help support our library! Thank you to all staff that helped out in the fair during our family night, as well as throughout the week. Also, be sure to thank all of the wonderful Cannon parent volunteers that helped out in the library throughout the week! Teamwork makes the dream work! Great job!
4th GRADE PBL - INTEGRATED LEARNING!
Scholars in 4th grade have been totally immersed in learning through a cross-curricular PBL over the last several weeks! They have been working hard to understand how Native Americans truly were our nation's first engineers! Through this PBL, scholars have learned a variety of science concepts, including natural resources, water cycle, soil properties and changes to the Earth's Surface. Through ELA and Social Studies, scholars analyzed a Native American proverb and used the Engineering Design Process to create a model shelter of Indian tribes they researched. During Family STEM Night, scholars and their parents designed pottery using clay that would meet certain volume requirements, in order to hold the most grain. Great job 4th grade teachers in designing such an interesting and integrated learning experience for your scholars!
FAMILY STEM NIGHT = HUGE SUCCESS!
Our 1st Family STEM Night of the year was a huge success!! It was so awesome to see how many of our families attended this evening and how much they enjoyed engaging in hands-on learning with their children! Nights like this are very important for our school, as we provide parents opportunities to learn more about what STEM-based learning at Cannon is all about! Thanks to ALL staff for making this such a special evening for our Cannon families!
BOOK FAIR - A BIG HIT!
4th GRADE PBL - INTEGRATED LEARNING!
FAMILY STEM NIGHT = HUGE SUCCESS!
Look Who Got Engaged! Congratulations Valerie Tenuta and Derek Heard!
Dates to Remember
11/17 Brazosport ISD tours Cannon's STEM program
11/17 Mandatory staff training 2:50-3:15 - library
11/18 PTA meeting - cafeteria
11/18 Technology Department hosts tour @ Cannon 9:00
11/18 Severe Weather Drill 1:30 p.m.
11/18 Picture Retakes
11/18 PLC Week A- 5th grade 2:00-3:30
11/19 Anit-Bullying Program w/ Keith Davis NFL Kinder-5th 9:30-10:10 a.m. -cafeteria
11/19 PLC Week A - 3rd grade 2:00-3:30
11/19 Mandy Jackson's Baby Shower! 3:15 library
11/20 PLC Week A - 4th grade 2:00-3:30
11/21 Generation TX- Wear College Shirts to School Day!
11/21 Kinder Field Trip to Legoland 10:30-2:30
11/24-11/28 Thanksgiving Break
12/1 STEM Leadership 3:00
12/2 Denton ISD tours Cannon's STEM program
12/2 PLC Week B - 1st grade 2:00-3:30
12/3 PLC Week B - Kinder 2:00-3:30
12/4-12/5 Santa Shop Previews
12/4 PLC Week B - 2nd grade 2:00-3:30
12/4 Grapevine Parade of Lights 6:30 pm
12/8-12/10 PTA's Santa Shop-conference room
12/8 U.CAN 3:00
12/9 PLC Week A-5th grade 2:00-3:30
12/10 PLC Week A - 3rd grade 2:00-3:30
12/11 PLC Week A - 4th grade 2:00-3:30
12/12 GMS Holiday program @ Cannon 9:30-10:15
12/15 Staff Holiday Party 3:00 - library
12/16 PLC Week B - 1st grade 2:00-3:30
12/17 PLC Week B - Kinder 2:00-3:30
12/18 PLC Week B - 2nd grade 2:00-3:30
12/18 Choir Holiday Concert - 5:30-7:00
12/19 Class Holiday Parties
12/19 - Early Dismissal 11:45
12/22 - 1/04 Holiday Break!
1/05 Teacher Workday
HEIFER INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS
You will also want to take the time to share the picture book, Beatrice's Goat, with your class. This children's story is based on the true account of Beatrice, an impoverished Ugandan girl, whose life is transformed by the gift of a goat from Heifer International. The book shows how the arrival of a goat sustains the family and allows Beatrice to achieve her dream of attending school. It will help your scholars make great connections to the "gift basket" your grade level has decided to raise money for and donate!
REMINDERS & UPDATES
- CHECK OUT ANNE'S NEW BLOG!!! Anne has started a blog and she has already posted some terrific tips and ideas on her blog that include goal setting and classroom management ideas, technology tips for using Guided Access, assessment updates and more! Be sure to check out her blog, Anecdotes From Anne and bookmark it to follow for great ideas, updates and reminders! Awesome work Anne!!
- HOLIDAY NEEDS FOR CANNON FAMILIES - Please use this link to complete a survey for Mandy to recommend any Cannon families that you feel will need some support with clothing gifts this holiday season. She is in the process of determining which families will be added to our campus Angel Tree this year and will begin coordinating this effort. Thanks for your help!
- WEAR COLLEGE SHIRTS ON FRIDAY, 11/21 - GCISD will recognize Generation TX on Friday, November 21st, by encouraging all staff and scholars to wear college shirts to school! A letter will go home with all students on Monday to inform parents about this effort and to provide more information about the Generation TX movement. Thanks for you help to promote college readiness and motivate our young scholars to start thinking about college now! Find more information about Generation TX and early college readiness by clicking here!
- HOLIDAY FLOAT CONSTRUCTION - Cannon's Dad's Club and PTA need help constructing this year's holiday float! Please help promote this effort by including this link for the Cannon Dad's Club Facebook in your parent communications. As an incentive for parents to come and help out with this year's float-building efforts, Cannon students of any family that comes to help build will be allowed to ride on the float during the Grapevine Parade of Lights on December 4th! Our Cannon dad's and PTA volunteers have been working so hard this year to support our scholars and school, but as with many efforts, there are less than 20% of the people doing more than 80% of the work, so they need our help to encourage other parents to get involved! Thanks!
- TEACHER REIMBURSEMENT - Did you know that our PTA will reimburse teachers for up to $75 for any items they have purchased for their classrooms? All you need to do is attach your receipts to the PTA Reimbursement form that was sent out by email last week from Judy Reta and place it in the PTA mailbox. What a deal!!
TO DO LIST
- Do attendance online between 9:45- 10:15 each day.
- Be prepared for campus visitors to stop in classrooms on Monday & Tuesday mornings
- Attend required staff training meeting on Monday - 2:50-3:15 library
- Remind students of picture retakes on 11/18
- Prepare students to participate in Bad Weather Drill on 11/18 @ 1:30
- Introduce your grade level's Heifer International project idea to scholars
- Arrive at the K-5 Anti-Bullying assembly on 11/19 on time. Assembly starts at 9:30 in the cafeteria.
- Include Cannon Dad's Club FB link in your parent communications.
- Wear college shirts to school on Friday, 11/21
- Have a wonderfully restful and blessed Thanksgiving holiday with your loved ones!
- Tweet & blog about all of the great things you are doing in your classroom/grade!