GunnTogether Times (Aug. 20, 2021)
Principal Stratton's Newsletter
A Word from Wendy
Dear Titan Families,
This past week and a half have been exhilarating for the Gunn community. Students, teachers, and staff members brought our campus back to life. The bike racks filled up, books were distributed, expectations were established, students safely socialized and connected with peers, athletics teams animated our fields, the pool, and gymnasiums, and the Gunn community came together again.
Please review the content below and note that we have an upcoming Principal's Coffee should you have any questions or would like to be in the know about what's happening here at Gunn!
Principal's Coffee (or Tea?)
Please join me for my first virtual Principal's Coffee of the year! It will take place next Thursday, August 24, 4:30-5:30 pm (and I will not be having coffee at that hour).
I will be joined by two of my assistant principals who will provide updates on safety, construction, the PRIME period, and lots more!
The Zoom link will be posted next week.
- Once they check in with their assigned teacher, students will be allowed to attend appointments with teachers with whom they made need additional support (this allows students to visit with multiple teachers).
- Students will be expected to work productively during the period, and attend appointments made with their teachers (in advance) for additional support.
- While these are "instructional minutes" and students are expected to be on campus for the duration of the period, we understand students may occasionally need to make outside appointments during this time slot to avoid missing academic classes. In these cases, students and families should follow the same protocol for calling in an excused absence as they would with any other class period.
SELF and PRIME = Mandatory Attendance
Our First Outdoor School Dance is Friday!
Dance Behavior Expectations, some basics! https://youtu.be/k6eo-LolKJM
The first dance of the year is this Friday, 8/20!!! The theme is “Tropical Dreams” and tickets are $5 with CURRENT GUNN ID - buy pre-sale in the SAC, at https://tinyurl.com/TitanWebStore or at the door. If any student needs support/scholarship to attend this event, contact Assistant Principal Michalis Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Masks required, bring your ID - No Guests for the first dance. Dance Rules Reminder:
- If you are not following the guidelines set regarding appropriate dancing and respect for/ gaining consent from others, you will be asked to leave. No exceptions and no refunds - so don't do it.
- No bags/ backpacks/ purses allowed in the dance - there will be a bag drop off if you bring things with you and you will be able to pick them up at the end of the dance (no access to bags during the dance).
- Welcome-Back Dance, 7:30-10:30 pm on the Quad
- Principal's Coffee (zoom link to come), 4:30 pm
- Back-to-School Ice Cream Social on Freshman Quad (students and staff only), 3:30-5:00 pm.
- Make-up photos, 9-3 in P116
- Back-to-School Night via Zoom (6-8 pm)
- Minimum Day (see website calendar)
- Labor Day Holiday (no school)
- PTSA Association Meeting
Gunn’s parking lot is currently under construction. This project, including a bike lane, should be completed by the end of September.
IMPORTANT: Due to limited space, students will not be able to park on campus for the duration of the construction project. Available parking is limited to staff and visitors only.
Please plan to bike, walk or take public transportation to school until at least the end of September. Students can park their bikes at any bike stall regardless of the color of the stall. Bikes should be locked.
Once we have been given a firm completion date for the parking lot, the Student Activities Office will begin the sale of parking permits for Seniors only with a current Driver’s License (not a permit).
Athletics (Titan Home Games)
FOOTBALL (Frosh/Soph 4:30pm, Varsity 7:00pm)
- Sept. 3, Sept. 10, Oct. 1, Oct. 15, Oct. 29
- Aug. 31 (6:45pm), Sept. 2 (6:30pm), Sept. 14 (6:45pm), Oct. 7 (6:45pm), Oct. 13 (7:00pm), Oct. 19 (6:45pm), Oct. 26 (6:45pm)
- Aug. 26 (Frosh/Soph 4pm, Varsity 5pm), Sept. 10 (F/S 4pm, Varsity 5:15pm), Sept. 14 (Varsity 3:30pm), Sept. 17 (Varsity 3pm), Sept. 18 (Varsity 8am), Sept. 21 (Varsity 3:30pm), Sept. 28 (Varsity 3:30pm), Oct. 7 (Frosh/Soph 5:45pm, Varsity 6:45pm), Oct. 14 (F/S 5:45pm, Varsity 6:45pm), Oct. 15 (Varsity 3pm), Oct. 16 (Varsity 8am), Oct. 21 (F/S 5:45pm, Varsity 6:45pm)
- No Social Distancing
- No Health Screener
- No Plastic Shields
- Mask indoors, no masks outdoors
- Testing available, as needed
- Events - Student Events Only
Assemblies - outdoors as much as possible
Food events w/minimal adult volunteers
"Navigating the Return to School: Tips, Expectations, and Answers"
Join PiE (Partners in Education) and CASSY (Counseling and Support Services for Youth) for information on how best to navigate the return to campus. Many of our students have spent very little or no time on campus this past year and it will take some adjustment to being back. Even those who were back on campus may need some assistance after being away for the summer.
CASSY's licensed professional therapists will explain what to expect in the first weeks of school and provide tips on how best to support your children. At the end of the session there will be a Q&A for parents who have additional questions.
Thursday, August 19th
If you or someone you know lacks adequate housing, please fill out this confidential Local Education Agencies’ Instructions for the Housing Questionnaire or email email@example.com to receive support.
- Back-to-School informational packets are at www.tinyurl.com/GunnBackToSchool.
- Our Wellness Center is ready to help students and families deal with the stresses of high school life. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The VTA busses are running now: https://www.vta.org/school-trippers
- Gunn Together - the weekly e-newsletter you're now reading with general school news.
- Titan Talk -- a bi-weekly Sunday evening e-newsletter from the Guidance and College & Career Departments with information on grade-level focus, visiting college reps, etc.
- The Gunn Connection - a weekly e-newsletter published on Sundays by PTSA volunteers with events information from Gunn and the community. Subscribe here.
- Schoology - e-messages sent to students; homework assignments; current graded work
- Infinite Campus - e-messages sent to parents/guardians.
- Daily Bulletin & TBN News - daily news for students posted online and broadcast in classrooms each morning.
- Parent Networks - grade-level parent groups, organized by the PTSA, who meet at various times and locations. Email network coordinators: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Oracle - Gunn's student-run newspaper published monthly under the supervision of Kristy Blackburn (email@example.com)
- Reopening FAQs: https://www.pausd.org/return-to-campus/faq
COVID Response: https://www.pausd.org/return-to-campus/responding-to-covid
Independent Study: https://www.pausd.org/school-life/learning/ab130/faq
Grade Changes: https://www.pausd.org/school-life/learning/ab104
- We have many opportunities to volunteer at Gunn!. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The Gunn PTSA supports Gunn high school in many ways such as teacher grants, student activities, fundraising, and organizing volunteers. Please visit the Gunn PTSA website for more information.
Gunn Foundation provides need based scholarships to graduating seniors to help them further their education and secure their future. Please visit the Gunn Foundation website to donate. Double your impact in August when donations will be matched by the Gunn Foundation Board of Trustees!