Ms. Arnold's Weekly News
Week of 5-2-16
Our Class Motto: Perseverance
"Being persistent & never giving up!"
3rd Grade M-Step Testing
Keicher Tech Day
Crafted his own Batman mask at the Maker Space: Card Board Challenge!
Learning to code with Dash and Dots!
Exploring with Lego boats at the Maker Space: Lego Challenge!
(NEW) Fact Practice: It is encouraged that students practice their multiplication and division facts daily for 15 min. A tracking sheet, seen below, has been placed in their
at-home folders to help guide nightly practice of their facts. Fact practice logs need to be signed M-Th!
*THEY WILL HAVE FACTS TESTS EACH WEEK!
At-Home Fact Practice Guide
Classroom Learning Time
Our Focus Points
Reading / Language Arts
Students are continuing to work through each of our Daily 5 rotations...Read to Someone, Teacher Time, Listening, Nonfiction Reading, and Writing. As well as learning "partner fluency" routines and using various reading skills/strategies we focused on throughout the week. Read to Self Time is a priority every day as well!
Math (Unit 13: Perimeter and Area)
*Video lessons for the week will be uploaded to Educreations.
Students are also continuing to gather stories and writing strategies in their writer's notebooks. Paragraph development and grammar skills continue to be a focus point too. And we have started our third trimester piece: opinion paper.
Science and Social Studies topics for the year:
*Force and motion
*Michigan: government, economics, geography, and history of
This Week's Spelling Words (test on Friday)
Spelling List #23
Multiplying By 9s Song
Multiplying By 11 Song
Multiply By 12 Song Video
Take Advantage of the Technology
*Scratch or Tynker
*Front Row Math
*Book Talks with Chatterpix
*Mrs. Barnes Useful Links
Lego Club News
Lego Club Team 1 and Team 2: This Wednesday from 3:30-4:30
-Shirts have been distributed to students who purchased one.
BOND PROPOSAL VOTING THIS TUESDAY, MAY 3RD!!!!
29 Keicher Student Lock-in “Games Galore” - 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Progress Reports go home
4 Credit Union Day
5th Grade Puberty Education
Mother/Son Bowling permission slips due
6 6th Grade Camp - Final payment due
9 School Board Meeting – 7:00 p.m. – MCHS
10 Spring Band Concert – 2:30 p.m. – West Gym
Spring Band Concert – 6:30 p.m. – H.S. Auditorium
Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 –
11 Credit Union Day
MI-Access – 3rd and 4th Grades
12 4th Grade Mackinac Trip – Final Parent Meeting –
13 Keicher Student Lock-in – 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
14 Mother/Son Bowling – Airport Lanes – 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
16 6th Grade Camp
17 6th Grade Camp – Return 2:00 p.m.
18 Credit Union Day – Last one of the year
19 MIS Track and Explore Field Trip – 5th Grade – 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
23 4th Grade Mackinac Trip
24 4th Grade Mackinac Trip
Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 –
25 4th Grade Mackinac Trip
5th Grade Trip to Detroit Science Museum and Tiger Stadium
MIS Track and Explore Field Trip – 6th Grade – 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
30 NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
1. All library books must be returned by May 27, 2016. Remember, there is a cost for books not returned. Overdue books will result in the loss of 6th grade camp, field day, & report cards.
2. MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND - There will be no school on Monday, May 30th. Have a safe and restful holiday weekend.
3. DRESS CODE - Warm weather has brought out the shorts, summer shirts and sandals. Our policy regarding these items is as follows: Shorts may be no shorter than the longest finger when the student is standing in an upright position or five/six inches from the top of the knee to the bottom of the shorts (per JH/HS), no Spandex or Bike shorts are permitted. No tank tops, spaghetti straps, sleeveless shirts or bare midriff (in standing position). The top must overlap the waistband of your pants/shorts. Shoes must be worn at all times. Students not complying with the dress code will be asked to call home to get the appropriate attire.
4. KEICHER CLOTHES CLOSET – We are in need of clothes for our clothes closet that would fit a 3rd through 6th grader. If you have any clothing your child has outgrown, please keep us in mind. Thank you for your help.
5. HOOPS FOR HEART took place this week during your student’s gym classes. Forms were sent home last week. All forms and donations need to be returned by Friday, May 6th. All monies raised will be donated to the American Heart Association. Thank you in advance for your support.
6. 6TH GRADE CAMP is coming soon! Parents, we need you! We especially need dads for overnight supervision of the boys’ cabins. In order to make our kid’s experience at camp wonderful, your assistance is needed to help us chaperone on May 16th and 17th. Any time you can spare is most appreciated. Please call 764-5200 if you can help us out or have any questions. The final payment of $25.00 is due on May 6th.
7. ATTENDANCE - Spring has sprung or has it? School is not done. We need you here, until the end of the year. Keep good attendance!
TO ALL OF OUR GREAT KEICHER TEACHERS AND STAFF:
A special thanks for your hard work and dedication to the education of our students. It is a yearlong effort on your part that we would like to recognize. Thanks for all you do!
Teachers – Teacher Appreciation Week is celebrated May 2nd through May 6th. Teachers are real life superheroes. They educate, innovate, encourage and support. Every day they touch the lives of millions of children and their work. Their impact extends far beyond the boundaries of the classroom. So students, it’s time for us to demonstrate how much our teachers mean to us. Let’s all say a big thank you to the people who work really hard so that we can have a better future.
"Teacher appreciation makes the world of education go around." ~Helen Peters
"A truly special teacher is very wise, and sees tomorrow in every child's eyes." ~Author Unknown
"There's no one quite like a special teacher, and no teacher quite as special as you."