Archer Glen Elementary | August 26, 2022
Dear Archer Glen Families
Welcome to the 2022-23 school year. We are excited to welcome you and your child back to Archer Glen!
There is so much to look forward to this year, including meeting new teachers and seeing old friends, the return of many of our community events and volunteer opportunities, and, of course, a lot of wonderful learning. Many thanks goes out to our custodial and district facilities team for preparing our building and grounds, as well as our staff who took part in summer learning opportunities.
I'd like to also welcome our new staff:
- Stephanie Brannan, Music Teacher
- Emily Montgomery, 5th Grade Teacher
- Lesley Cazares, Learning Specialist
- Shelby Boyd, English Language Teacher
- Lyndsey Brewer, Special Education Instructional Assistant
In this newsletter, you'll find the information you need to make for a successful start to the school year, but please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you might have. Enjoy these last wonderful days of summer and see you all soon!!
Friday 26 @ 3:30pm | Grades 1-5 teachers email students in their class
Tuesday 30 @ 4:00 to 6:00pm | Supply Night
- Students and parents are invited to drop off supplies, meet their teachers, and see the classroom
- Families are invited to bring a picnic dinner and join other AG families on the front lawn area of the school after dropping off supplies. More information below.
Thursday 1 | 1st Day of School for Grades 1-5
- Arrival @ 7:45 to 7:55am at the Main Entrance or Activities Entrance
- Dismissal @ 2:15pm at classroom exterior doors
Thursday 1, Friday 2, and Tuesday 6 | Kindergarten Orientation
- K students attend 1 of the 3 days. Day assignments can be found below.
- K arrive at the Activities Entrance at 8:05am.
- After dropping off students, families are invited to hear from PAC and Mr. Shuckerow
Monday 5 | No School / Labor Day
Wednesday 7 to Thursday 8 | Kindergarten Ramp Up
- All K students attend starting September 7
Friday 9 | No School for Kindergarten students
- K teachers make class placements and email students in their class
Monday 12 | Kindergarten students attend their assigned teacher
Wednesday 14 @ 1:15pm | Early Release
Wednesday 21 @ 1:15pm | Early Release
Thursday 22 @ 5:00 to 6:30pm | Back to School Night
Wednesday 28 @ 1:15pm | Early Release
Friday 30 | Archer Glen Fun Run
Supply Night, August 30 @ 4-6pm
Bring a picnic to enjoy out front on the AG lawn after you drop off supplies. Popcorn and music will be provided by our AG Parent Committee. A volunteer sign-up table will be set up to answer questions. Enjoy a non-hosted Kona Ice, also.
School Day Schedule
The first day of school for grades 1st - 5th is Thursday, September 1st. Kindergarteners will follow a different beginning of the year schedule. More information about the Kindergarten schedule can be found later in the newsletter.
Arrival @ 7:45 to 7:55 AM
- Students will enter through the Main Entrance or Activities Entrance
- Class begins at 7:55 AM
- Breakfast service begins at 7:30am. Students eating breakfast can enter the building through the Activities Entrance starting at 7:30am.
Dismissal @ 2:15 PM
- Early Release Wednesday Dismissal @ 1:15 (except September 7)
- Students will be released from exterior classroom doors.
- Car line students will be released in the building to the car line area.
Arrival and Dismissal Protocols
Students should arrive to school between 7:45 and 7:55am. Classes begin at 7:55am. Students can use either the Main Entrance or the Activities Entrance to enter the building starting at 7:45am. Students arriving after 7:55am should use the Main Entrance.
Vehicle drop off is along the main parking lot sidewalk. Students should exit vehicles from the passenger side. If your child needs your assistance exiting the vehicle, please park your vehicle in a parking slot as not to disrupt the flow of traffic in the drop off lane. When exiting the parking lot, vehicles must only turn RIGHT. This also helps to keep traffic flowing. There is no student drop off in the bus lane. The bus lane must remain clear of all arrival traffic.
Breakfast service begins at 7:30am. Students eating breakfast will enter through the Activities Entrance starting at 7:30am. See the Nutrition Department webpage for pricing.
Students are dismissed at 2:15pm from exterior classroom doors. On early release Wednesdays, students are released at 1:15pm. K-1 students who are walking home need to be picked up by a chaperone. Grades 1-5 can be picked up in the care line, but Kindergarten students must be picked up from the exterior classroom door. Kindergarten students will not be released to the car line by themselves.
Update to Arrival Protocols
As a part of our annual safety and security review, our district elementary team has been thoughtfully considering how to make our elementary arrival and dismissal times as safe as possible. One major safety concern for our buildings is the entry of parents into the building for drop off in the mornings. Allowing parents to enter the building without background checks or scheduled volunteer times, creates a large breach in our building security measures. As such, we are going to continue to keep our arrival (and dismissal) procedures the same as last year. Students will enter through the Main Entrance or Activities Entrance and walk down to their classrooms independently. Students will be released from classroom exterior exits at the end of the day. This will still provide parents with the opportunity to check in with teachers at pick up if needed, and will also help us to very closely monitor who is in our buildings at all times.
Volunteers and parent helpers will still be welcome in our schools during pre-scheduled volunteer times with our PAC or our classroom teachers. Additionally, parents are encouraged to attend our Supply Night open house on August 30th from 4-6 pm to visit classrooms and see the building. We will also host an in-person Back to School Night on Thursday, September 22nd from 5:00 to 6:30 pm, and in-person conferences in late October and early May. It is important to us that we balance both student safety and parent involvement in our school community, and we believe this plan will allow us to do both.
Health and Wellness
Attending to student health and wellness is an important part of a positive school experience. You can partner with us by monitoring student health and keeping students home when they are ill. The following guide shows the most common symptoms and when students should return to school: Health Guidelines for Student Illnesses
In addition to this general guidance, students who test positive for COVID should remain home for 5 days. Students exhibiting two or more symptoms should also remain home for 5 days unless a they receive a negative test result for COVID. In which case, the student would follow symptom based guidelines. Students exhibiting only one primary symptom of COVID should remain home until they are fever free or other symptoms are improving. For a helpful decision tree, see this document: Isolation and Exclusion Guidelines for K-12 Settings
Meal pricing returns this year. Breakfast and lunch are no longer free. Information about breakfast and lunch prices and menus can be found on the Nutrition Department webpage.
Families may be eligible for the Free and Reduced Meals program: Apply for Free or Reduced Meals Program.
Funds can be added to your child's school account online by credit/debit card or ACH transfer, or in-person at your child's school. For online payment, parents/guardians will need to have a account through PayForIt.net. For information on setting up your PayForIt.net account, please click here.
For information or assistance with Nutrition Services, please contact the Nutrition Services Department at 503-825-5009.
First Days of Kindergarten
“Kindergarten Orientation Days” September 1, 2, & 6
Kindergarten Orientation Days: Your child is invited to one of the three orientation days. They will spend this day doing fun activities with all Kindergarten teachers in a small group setting. Students’ assigned day for Kindergarten Orientation is determined by the first letter of their last name:
Student Last Name A – D: Thursday, September 1 (8:05am – 2:15pm)
Student Last Name E – P: Friday, September 2 (8:05am – 2:15pm)
Student Last Name R – Z: Tuesday, September 6 (8:05am – 2:15pm)
For Kindergarten Orientation, students will enter through the Activities Entrance starting at 8:05am (see map for directions). We will have plenty of staff on hand to guide your child to the Kindergarten classrooms. At that time, you will be invited to stay in the cafeteria for a welcome with the principal and Archer Glens' Parent Advisory Committee (PAC).
“Ramp-Up Days” September 7-8
Wednesday, September 7 & Thursday, September 8 - all children attend the full school day (7:55am - 2:15pm). Students will use the Main Entrance or Activities Entrance for arrival starting on the 7th. Doors open at 7:45am. There will be plenty of staff to assist students to their classrooms. During these two days, students will spend time in each kindergarten classroom with a variety of students and staff.
Friday, September 9 - No school for kindergarten students - teachers thoughtfully create balanced classes and prepare classrooms. Kindergarten class lists will be emailed by noon.
Monday, September 12 – Kindergarten students begin in assigned classes (7:55am - 2:15pm).
Additional Important Information
Please send a healthy, nut-free snack, with your child each day.
Your child is welcome to bring lunch from home or purchase a school lunch. If your child is having a school lunch, just have them let their teacher know when they arrive at school, and we will make sure they get a meal during their lunch break.
School supplies will be brought to school on August 30th for our open house Supply Night from 4-6 pm. A list of supplies for kindergarten can be found HERE.
Superintendent Meet & Greet/Listening Session
Our new Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon will be hosting an opportunity on Thursday, September 8th to meet members of the community, answer questions about the upcoming school year, and discuss the proposed social science curriculum for grades K-5. This will be the first of several community engagement opportunities with Dr. Lyon in the coming school year.
Please join us at Ridges Elementary in the Laurel Side Cafeteria on Thursday, September 8th, 6:00-7:30 pm.
SHARE Center -- Back-to-School Supplies and Resources
The SHARE Center is here for all of your back-to-school needs! We have lots of clothing, shoes, backpacks and school supplies -- all ages and sizes!!
For an appointment at the SHARE Center, please contact:
Alyssa Thompson at email@example.com or 503-825-5087
Maria Quinones at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-825-5085
AG PAC Facebook
AG PAC Website
Inclement Weather / Emergency Communications
- School Messenger - This is an automated system that will send district or school level alerts, newsletters, or announcements to the parent/guardian information on file with the school. If your email address or phone number have changed, please update your contact information with your child's school office. If you have unsubscribed from these messages in the past but would like to be re-enrolled, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
- District Website - All high-priority alerts will be posted to the main SSD website here (look for a red alert bar at the top of the website for most up-to-date information).
- District Social Media - The District is on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sherwoodschooldistrict88J or on Twitter at twitter.com/SherwoodSD
- FlashAlert - This is a free subscription service that alerts users via text or app notifications. Sign up at www.flashalert.net/signup or by downloading the FlashAlert app on your smartphone. If you have signed up for FlashAlert previously, please sign in to make sure your subscription is current. If you are not subscribed to our channel, you can search for "Sherwood Sch. Dist." to sign up for our district's alerts.
Archer Glen Front Office: 503-825-5100
Previous Eagle Updates