Update from Vista Oaks
A great place for your child to grow...
Here's this week's skill (let's start with the basics!):
HERE'S MORE PRACTICE FOR HOW TO USE THE MOUSE: Click this link for a new game to make sure your child knows how to properly use the mouse:
Also, here's a link to the practice test! It'd be great for you to sit with your child and take the practice test together so you can both see what you can do to better prepare for it: http://www.caaspp.org/practice-and-training/index.html
***STATE TESTING (CAASP) WILL OCCUR APRIL 18-29.***
East Bay Enrichment Classes
Tuesday's Enrichment classes were great! It was so nice to see everyone again after the break, and wonderful to meet our new students who joined us.
The Science Arts (K-3) students made seed houses, revisited Chromatography, and looked through the microscope. They also had fun catching up and sharing stories about their winter breaks.
The Problem-Solving Workshop students built structures to house eggs to be dropped at a later date. There were only two students present, so we are hoping to have a full class next week!
We are looking forward to a semester of fun and learning!
Be sure to put the class dates into your calendar, as there are a few breaks in the schedule due to our room not being available:
*** Class dates: 1/12, 1/19, 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 3/1, 3/8, 3/29, 4/5, 4/12, 5/3, 5/10
No class: 1/26, 2/23, 3/15, 3/22, 4/19, 4/26 due to room availability, spring break and testing
Please remember to:
- Be on time for drop off and pick up (9:30-10:45 K-3; 10:45-12:00 4th-8th)
- Be mindful of the fact that we are just renting one room at the Joaquin Miller Community Center (so please walk in hallways, keep your children close, stay off of the deck, and plan to find a spot other than the center to hang out while your child is in class)
- Bring your emergency form if you haven't turned one in yet
- Dress in clothes that can get dirty
- Sign in and out each day
- Bring a pencil
- Have fun!
NO NUTS! OUR SPACE MUST BE NUT-FREE, DUE TO A SEVERE ALLERGY. PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD WITH A SNACK THAT CONTAINS NUTS!
Places to hang out/things to do while your child is in class:
- Explore Joaquin Miller Park! There are tons of great hiking trails and a meadow nearby: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/opr/s/Parks/JoaquinMiller/
- Woodminster Cafe is just down the road and has wifi if you need to get some work done while waiting: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/opr/s/Parks/JoaquinMiller/
- Montclair Village is one exit away (grocery stores, restaurants, Peets, etc.)
- Unfortunately, Dimond Library does not open untll 12:30 on Tuesdays
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- No school on Monday, January 18th due to Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- No school On Friday, February 12th or Monday, February 15th due to President's Day
- Spring Break is March 14th-25th
Are you looking for a PSAT or SAT practice site?
The Khan Academy has partnered with the College Board, and they offer free test prep online.
You will be able to download real, full-length practice tests, watch videos of someone working through real test problems, and get even more practice using their interactive questions.
To begin exploring the options available to you, create a free account at
Session 3 : January 19-March 11
(Spring break March 14-25 )
Session 4 : March 29-May 13th
(Break for State Testing April 18-29)