Blue Devil Blast
Volume I, Issue 25 - February 11, 2022
Dr. Looney's Message
The kids had a phenomenal week this week.
3-day week next week! It's a great time to go through book bags, check grades, follow up on assignments. You can do that through Parent Portal (or the ParentVUE) app.
Need help signing up for Parent Portal? Have questions about tutoring? Come to the Parent Center, which is open from 1 - 4 each school day.
If you need anything, do not hesitate to reach out.
The Coming Month
- February 12 - Saturday Youth Academy
- February 14 - Valentine's Day
- February 17, 18, 21 - Winter Break
- February 18 - Soccer @PinckneyvilleMS Time TBA
- February 22 - *Teen Temptations & Trends Presentation*
- February 25 - Black History Month Present. (school day)
- February 25 - Girls Soccer @ Pinckneyville MS
- February 26 - Saturday Youth Academy
- February 26 - Orchestra LGPE
- March 5 - Girls Soccer @ Shiloh MS
Gwinnett Online Campus Registration Feb. 1 - Feb. 28
Teen Temptations & Trends @ Summerour
New Khan Academy Goal
Have your student stay in practice and work on Khan Academy daily. Short sessions every day will do wonders. We are giving incentives out each month. We also have a Khan Saturday Program - ask your math teacher to join!
It's Time to Order Yearbooks!
Early Order Discount until March 14
- Softcover = $15
- Hardcover = $20
Full Price after March 14
- Softcover = $20
- Hardcover = $25
Bring cash or check to the Media Center
Order online at YBPay.Lifetouch.com
(Look for Georgia, then Norcross, then Summerour)
Special Packages Available:
Check online for special packages – if ordering in Media Center bring the extra amount needed.
Selling OUR Valentine's Day Candy Grams
County Science Fair
A HUGE thanks to our amazing coordinator Mrs. Beg, our science coach Dr. Duggirala, and our club co-coach Dr. Shukla for helping these children prepare for this tough competition across the county.
Going Digital Next Year? Register Now!
For the 2022-23 school year, Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) will offer a digital learning option for students in grades K-12 through Gwinnett Online Campus (GOC), opening GOC’s program to K-3 students for the first time. Digital students at all grade levels will enroll full-time at GOC rather than being enrolled at their local neighborhood/zoned school.
Gwinnett Online Campus Registration
February 1-28, 2022
Visit the school’s website (https://www.gcpsk12.org/domain/7748) for more on the GOC registration process. Registration during this timeframe will allow the school to staff appropriately to serve students next school year.
Families can learn more about Gwinnett Online Campus and digital learning next school year through GOC information sessions.
Remaining virtual information sessions
- Monday, February 14, at 4 p.m.
Remaining in-person information sessions are scheduled for the following dates/times:
- Tuesday, February 15 at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, February 22 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 23 at 10 a.m.
Spanish Classes Honing Conversation Words
- March 15 - Language Arts & Science
- March 16 - Math & Social Studies
- ACCESS testing for our English Language Learners is nearly complete...but not over yet. There are several parts to the test. Please ensure students are rested and ready on the day of the test.
Grade Level News You Can Use
Parents, thank you in your continued support to help your child start off with a STRONG FOUNDATION for second semester!
Here are a couple of quick notes for 6th grade:
- We're already in February! Please reach out to your child's homeroom teachers if you would like to schedule a parent conference.
- Let's keep those grades up! Parents, please be checking on your child's grades and assignments. Let's go for honor roll this semester!
Mr. Lenie George
6th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Pam Griswell
6th Grade Counselor
Thanks for all your support in ensuring students are Respectful, Responsible, Role Models!
- Please remember that your child has math homework to complete, using Khan Academy. They can access it on mobile devices, phones, tablets, or a computer. Please reach out to the math teacher for an update on their Khan Academy growth
- Tutoring is available on each team this semester, and often in the morning. Please reach out to your child's teacher for details. Our hope for 7th grade is to establish a firm foundation in February, to set our kids up for success
Mr. Stacy James
7th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Yunilda Valdez
7th Grade Counselor
From time to time, we need to revisit the rules: both rules of behavior and rules of dress code. Please take the time this weekend to revisit rules of proper behavior and to familiarize your child anew with Summerour's dress code policies.
Need a reminder? This is from our website:
Uniform dress code policy:
- Slacks and skirts should be tan, black or blue
- Shirts must be collared and light blue, dark blue, or white
- Shoes must be black or white
- Hoodies are allowed during cool weather, but must be gray, blue, or black
- Hoods must be down
Mrs. Christy Gray
8th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Robin Blackwell
8th Grade Counselor
Mrs. Kimberly Blackshear
Gear Up/ Special Education Counselor
AAP - Round 2 - Underway
How do you know if your child was selected?
- We sent a letter home with the student last week
- We also emailed a PDF copy of the letter home last Friday
Round 2: Language Arts and Science Dates
- February 8 - February 24
- 7:15 am to 8:15 am
Parents or guardians must provide transportation to the school; Students will need to be dropped off in the back or the building (car rider lane).
We have a girl's team, and if you want to support us, here is a link for some spirit wear that we get a portion of the proceeds from: https://summerour.decoratedgear.com/
- February 25 - @ Pinckneyville MS - 5:30 pm
- March 5 - @ Shiloh MS - 11:30 am
- March 19/20 - Tournament
Norcross HS Football Weight Training
- Starts Wednesday, February 23
- Meet NHS Coaches in the Gym @ Summerour to ride the bus
- Pick up at 6:30 pm @ Norcross HS
- Must sign up (use the QR code below)
- Information packets available in the front office @ Summerour