Lou Gehrig's Disease by Joseph Dodgen
What It Is?
ALS , or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, is a rapidly progressive invariably fatal neurological disorder that attacks the nerve cells responsible for controlling voluntary muscles.
Well, symptoms may vary upon genetics, it could be little things like not being able to use a pen, holding a cup. It could also be something like a change in vocal pitch. But it all depends on time
Facts you may not have known.
- ALS isn't contagious
- The life expectancy is 2 to 5 years, but the disease varies
- about 6,400 people are diagnosed in the US each year
- ALS has no racial boundaries, so anyone could get it
- Military vets are more likely to get the disease
- Te drug, Riluzole, was the first drug to fight ALS , it was approved in1995
If you want more info, I recommend the book Neurotoxins