News and events
November 3, 2023
A message from the principal
Oxbow Creek Families,
This month, we will focus on the character trait: GRATITUDE. Throughout November, we will share things we are grateful for at school and at home. I have no doubt that will be a long list. This school community is at the top of my gratitude list. I'm so grateful for your generosity and support. Thank you for partnering with us and making this school a wonderful place for our staff and students. We are so grateful! I'm looking forward to hearing all of the things our students are grateful for and seeing the many ways they show gratitude this month. Thank you.
Math Night/Scooter World Open House
Come to Oxbow Creek's MARVELous Math Night & Scooter World on Thursday, November 16th from 6:00-8:00pm. Activities include math games, scooter world, selfie station, estimation jars and a snack. All activities are free and funded by the Oxbow Creek PTO. We will be putting the finishing touches on our event right up until we open our doors for you at 6:00pm. We hope to see you there.
Thursday, November 16th, 6:00-8:00pm
Where: Oxbow Creek Cafeteria/Gym
This is a Parent and Student event!
Update from Oxbow Creek's Phy Ed Dept.
"MARVEL"ous Scooter World begins November 13th.
Please look for more information regarding our Scooter world "Marvel"ous Math Night.
We will need your help to decorate the gym with superhero themed artwork! This is a voluntary parent/child project that can be very rewarding. Projects are due to the classroom teachers by Wednesday, November 8th.
Throughout November, third through fifth graders will be working on volleyball skills, scooter training and lastly scooter world. The kindergarten through second graders will be working on the parachute, scooter training and then scooter world. Come check out our Open House on November 16th from 6:00-8:00. We hope to see you there!
A few reminders for this month:
Remember to wear your tennis shoes on PE days.
If you have long hair, bring a hair tie or scrunchies.
Bring superhero artwork by Wednesday, November 8th.
Mrs. Collison & Mr. Masloski
Veterans Day Celebration, Nov. 10th
In recognition of Veterans Day on November 11, we want to take time to honor those men and women who have served or are currently serving our country in the military. Below is a list of activities that we have planned:
- A name tag will be sent home with each student the week of Nov. 6th for you to honor the veterans in your life. The students should wear the name tags to school on Friday, November 10.
- If you have a digital copy of a picture of any of those people you want to honor - and you are willing to share them with us - we'd like to create a slideshow of our heroes and put it on our scrolling monitors. You can send an electronic (.jpg) copy of the picture(s) to our tech para - Carter Masloski - by using his email address email@example.com. We'll download the pictures and include them in our slideshow.
- Grade 5 students will participate in a ceremonial flag-raising on Friday, Nov. 10 at 9:30 am. Veterans and those currently serving are welcome to attend the brief flag raising. We hope the day is a true celebration of our veterans and hope all of our students acquire a better understanding of what our veterans mean to our country.
- Veterans and active serving military are welcome to have lunch on us! (Bring your license and have parents call the school giving permission). Please wear your uniform, as it leaves quite an impression.
Oxbow's Annual Food Drive, Nov. 13-21
We'll be holding our annual food drive from Nov. 13 - Nov. 21 this year. Students are encouraged to bring in items to their classroom at any time during that time frame. This year we will be donating items to CEAP, a food shelf/social service agency that serves the cities of Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center and Champlin (east of 169), and surrounding cities. In the month of August, they served over 1600 families with over 2000 visits, and over 14,000 pounds of food. They are mostly in need of non-perishable food items.
Our word of the month for November is Gratitude and we are grateful for the contributions that are made from our school families for those in need. We are grateful for the compassion, kindness, caring and generosity from so many. It's a great tradition.
Please fill out the forms to join our team of volunteers at Oxbow:
Click here to check all the ways you can get involved:
Volunteer Coordinator News and Updates!
PTO Math Night/Scooter World Open House: We will be hosting a scooter world open house in conjunction with our PTO math night on Thursday, November 16th from 6-8pm. We can’t wait to see you there!
Scooter World: We need volunteers to help create pieces of art for the walls, please email Haley directly if this is something that interests you! We also need volunteers to help decorate the gym to make this week exciting for the students! Sign up to help decorate the gym!
Spirit Wear: If you would like to order Oxbow Creek Spirit Wear please visit http://www.rambow.com/ and enter our Store Code: Oxbow. Online ordering ends on 11/12/23 and orders will arrive prior to winter break.
Holiday Gift Shop: This event is on December 7th from 4:30-7:30pm. It’s a great opportunity for students to secretly shop with an elf for gifts for their loved ones. All gifts are under $13 and will be gift wrapped for your student. Many additional volunteers are needed to make this event run, sign up to volunteer here: Holiday Gift Shop
Enrichment groups: Have you ever thought about working with students in a small group setting? Enrichment groups are forming now! For more information contact Alece at Alece.Henderson@ahschools.us or fill out the Enrichment interest form.
Yearbook: Please share photos you have taken with the yearbook staff! Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include any information available such as grade, classroom and event.
Volunteer Services Coordinators
Oxbow Creek Elementary
Items to Note
- November 16th is "Give to the Max Day" in Minnesota. You can give directly to Oxbow Creek! Remember, any donations made today until November 17th will automatically count toward "Give to the Max Day." The funds come directly to Oxbow Creek to help buy supplies and fund field trips for students in need.
- The Health Office needs your help! Would you consider donating a new package of boys or girls (size small) underwear? We are going through approximately 6 changes of clothes a day here in the Health Office and are running out of smaller sizes
- With colder weather upon us, please consider sending in a complete set of extra clothes for your student. Sometimes, the little ones don't quite make it in time when removing the extra layers as well as clothing can become wet from the snow and ice.
- Thanks to all of you who supported our conference dinner for teachers this fall, too! Our staff felt greatly appreciated by our parents - and they were certainly well fed!
- Cold weather is approaching. Please send your child to school dressed appropriately. Be certain your child has a coat, hat and mittens. Students go outside for recess if the temperature is above 0 degrees. If you are in need of winter clothing, we have donations of gently used items that can be given to your child. Please contact the school office.