2P "Team Badger" Newsletter
October 26 - November 13, 2015
- Conferences! Thank you to everyone who came out to meet with us. We enjoyed talking with you and sharing your child's accomplishments and goals!
- Occupational Therapy! We had a visit in the classroom from Mrs. Theresa Feron, TJS' OT specialist. She shared with us how we can increase our core strength while practicing our spelling words. Look for "Ball Crawl" as a new option next week!
- PTO Cultural Arts Assembly - Meet the Beat! This past Monday we enjoyed a presentation from the Garden State Percussion Group. We heard lots of cool drum rhythms and learned about the different percussion instruments.
- We are Thankful! We brainstormed all the many reasons that we are thankful and wrote them on hand-traced turkeys. We are thankful for our families, homes, Earth, friends, and pets.. among many other things!
- The Power of Yet! This is a Sesame Street video featuring Janelle Monae. She sings about the need to have faith in yourself and that while you may not know how to do something YET, you will soon! It just takes a little hard work. To reinforce this message in the classroom, we also colored giant letters that spell out "YET!" that will be hung in our classroom where "Happy Thoughts" resided. It is meant to be a reminder to have faith, be kind to ourselves when things get difficult, and keep trying!! See video link below.
The point of all of these exercises is to teach them that reading is an ACTIVE process! Whenever we read we need to be actively engaged with our book and thinking!
The next unit in Reading and Writing will incorporate Fairy Tales!
We are also learning about the different types of clouds - cirrus, stratus, cumulus, nimbostratus, and cumulonimbus. We discussed evaporation and the role it plays in cloud formation. We will be creating our own versions of these clouds to accompany the Beaufort Scale display.