News and notes for the week of March 7th, 2022
AISD is going mask optional starting Monday March 7th
Here are a couple of items to know:
- All students will be allowed to make their own choice. Students should not be asked to wear a mask or be given incentives for choosing to wear a mask.
- Masks are optional during all athletic events and performances for both students and guests.
- Close Contact - Individual classroom letters will no longer be sent home.
Any asymptomatic individual (except those who have tested positive) may remain at school as long as they are asymptomatic.
For close contacts, asymptomatic individuals may remain in school.
For more information click link below
Courtyard Lunch Assignments for the week of 3/7/2022
KMS Courtyard Diagram
Testing Schedule Please Observe
Principal's Message to Hornet Families for the week of 3/7/2022
We are now in our final week before Spring Break. We are excited to have Samantha Bates start in the Science 6 classroom tomorrow and have interviews scheduled for our English Language Arts 7 vacancies. We will look to schedule interviews for other vacancies before leaving for Spring Break. Our goal is to find a quality candidate for each vacancy before leaving. This past week I worked collaboratively with 4 amazing parents and 3 teachers to create questions for and interview candidates for our next Magnet Director. We now have 3 finalists we are all excited about and will interview on Tuesday to see which will be the best fit for our campus. I will continue pop in meetings and surveys to gauge the climate of our campus as we move forward. The results of our 2/25 biweekly survey indicated the climate is still not where we would like it and the main issues shared were hallway behavior, Walkthroughs, and uncertainty. Actions to address these concerns are below in the action plan update. Our main goal at this time is keeping each and every teacher we have and filling the vacancies that exist at this moment. Rest assured, Kealing will stay the strong program Austin has learned to grow and love.
Thank you for choosing Kealing Middle School and Austin ISD, feel free to reach out to me directly for any reason at all: firstname.lastname@example.org
Action Plan Status Updates
This Past Week
- Conducted exit surveys for teachers who have left this year. (not completely done yet)
- Collaboratively Created Magnet Director questions with a committee of 3 teachers, 4 parents, and our Executive Director.
- The committee conducted a day of interviews on Friday March 4th and are proud to say we have 3 candidates we are moving to the final round for the KMS Magnet Director Position.
- Conducted pop in conversations with teachers to see how to improve campus climate (on going)
- Held pop in meetings with Classified staff members to see how climate could be improved from their lens (not complete but so far the biggest concern is working collaboratively and providing support with visitor in take and the building entrances)
- Reviewed the feedback from the 2/25 climate survey. Action plan below.
- Conducted Principal's Coffee Follow Up Meeting. View meeting recap document here
This Upcoming Week
- 3/7 - ELA 7 Interviews & Collaborative Learning Walk with administrators and Instructional Coaches
- 3/8 - KMS Magnet Director Final Round Interviews
- 3/9 - Meeting with Instructional Coaches and Administrators to observe trends and problem solve Instructional and Professional Development needs (In person - 3:15p - 4:15p)
- 3/10 - Biweekly survey & Update the Campus' Improvement Plan to reflect action items
- 3/10 & 3/11 -Distribution of Kealing It Awards, Exit Surveys and Pop in Meetings with Teachers and Classified Staff
Response to the 2/25 Biweekly Survey
1.) Hallway behavior - Immediate action: reestablish mobile offices for administrators to provide more support in the halls during critical times of the day. Long term action: collaborate with leadership team (teachers) and counselors to find other creative solutions.
2.) Walkthroughs - Immediate action: Provide more structured way of conducting walkthroughs for teachers (for example: avoiding walks without notice on Mondays & Fridays and not during the first and last 10 minutes of class)
3.) Uncertainty - Immediate action: send campus updates as they are received from central staff (teachers mentioned not knowing what was happening at the district level)
2/17 Principal's COffee Responses to Questions/Concerns/Statements
3/1 Principal's Coffee Responses to Questions/concerns/statements
3/1 Principal's Coffee Follow Up Recap
Adjusted Budget Time Line
Week of 2/21 - Share budget details with staff
Week of 2/21 - Share budget details with PTA
Week of 2/21 - share budget details with CAC
3/10- Budget workshop with CAC
3/11 - Budget due to AISD
4/15 - CAC signature Sheets due
It is time to start planning for next year. We need three volunteers to serve on the nominating committee to find people to serve on next year's executive board. If you would like to serve on the committee or would like to serve on the board, please send an email expressing your interest to email@example.com.
Thank you to everyone who has donated to the We Love Kealing Spring Fundraising Drive! We have reached our goal and can fulfill our promises to our students, teachers and staff. We will be able to purchase items for fine arts and science, fund field trips, pay for the 8th grade end of year celebration, and much more. We appreciate every donation of any size. If you were planning to donate, it's not too late. We will continue to accept donations. Huge thanks to Helen Yang, Shannan Reimer, Jen Loving and Nisha Rocap for working hard on the campaign.
We have a lot of volunteer opportunities on campus - lunch and hallway monitoring, helping build IKEA closest for the choir room, coffee cart treats and distribution, Costco pizza pick up, copy room help, food pantry distribution and more. Our volunteer scheduling is now being done through Konstella. Various volunteer sign ups will be live later in the week, so if you have time in your schedule, we would love your help.
If you haven't signed up for Konstella, PTA's new communication tool, yet, please do. You can find volunteer information there as well as PTA and school announcements.
Please click on this button to share your questions, concerns, or suggestions for the 2022-2023 KMS Budget
KMS Safety Protocols as of 3/6/2021
All staff, students, and visitors are encouraged to self screen for COVID 19 symptoms before entering into a campus or other Austin ISD Facilities each day
- We will maintain outdoor markers to social distance
- we will encourage moving halls where students are encourage to not stop while transitioning to classes
- staggered release
- We are seating/desks at least 3 feet apart when feasible
- Each classroom has a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filtration unit
- Personal Protective Equipment will be available in each room
- Plexiglass dividers available
- Additional outdoor seating (2 outdoor classrooms & the courtyard if teachers plan to use)
Breakfast & Lunch
- Students are allowed to eat lunch both inside the cafeteria and outside in the courtyard
- Plexiglass accordian dividers
-Volunteer lunch monitors
- The courtyard comfortably seats 4 classes, which is from 25% - 100% of the lunch capacity for each lunch period.
- we will have staggered dismissal where scholars will be dismissed by areas of the building to reduce traffic.
- Masks are optional
- assigned seating for lunches is a discontinued practice
- We are debating staggered releases during transitions at this time.
Monday - March 7th - B Day (5th - 8th Periods)
Tuesday - March 8th- A Day (1st - 4th Periods) - SCA 3 Testing Day - No Advisory
Wednesday - March 9th- B Day (5th - 8th Periods) - SCA 3 Testing Day - No Advisory
COVID 19 Vaccine Clinic
Thursday - March 10th - A Day (1st - 4th Periods)
CAC Meeting @ 4p
Friday - March 11th - B Day (5th - 8th Periods)
Next Week - Spring Break!!!!!!!
Entries must be submitted by Thursdays weekly to be included in the upcoming week's communication.
This Past Week on Campus
The NAEP Testing Team was on campus to conduct voluntary testing for us!
Ruby's office was trashed!
Nurse Mansolo and Principal's Assistant Ruby Palmer shared a birthday!
The Young Scientist Group had a packed house after school for tutoring!
Thank you Ms. Tenorio!
Mr. Webster in his excellence, utilzing questioning to increase engagement!
Mr. Garcia utilizing proximity as a tool!
Welcome to KMS Ms. Bates- 6th Grade Science
College graduate in May 2021 with a degree in Bachelor of Science Education. Played volleyball, softball and ran track in high school and continued to compete at the collegiate level for track. I love being outside , staying active, hanging out with my dog "Indie", family and friends and trying new food!!
STAAR TESTING TECHNOLOGY NEEDS
Bike Club is Back!!!
Kealing Algebra 2 Fundraiser
Link to the GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/kealing-algebra-2-end-of-year-project-funding?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1
All Call for Supplies
KMS is looking for substitutes
The details: We've increased the base rate of substitute teacher pay for all levels. For example, degreed substitutes can now earn between $140 and $200 per day for filling a teacher assignment. We’ve also added compensation for supporting campuses when Austin-Travis County is in Stages 4 and 5.
We also expanded our eligibility requirements so that people with fewer than 60 college credit hours are eligible to work in elementary or middle schools.
Hopefully, we’ll get back to normal soon. In the meantime, if you know someone who would excel in a substitute role in AISD, point them to our website and encourage them to apply online.
SYEP is offering summer employment opportunities to young people 14-17 years of age as well as young people with a disability up to the age of 22. Employment opportunities include 100 hours of paid learning/work experience.
Kealing prides itself on fostering a supportive & caring community, and one way it does that is through the Parent-Teacher Association. The PTA comprises families, teachers, administrators, students, and community members dedicated to enriching every student learning experience.
Your PTA membership makes Kealing a great community and unique learning environment. While our memberships number is at an impressive 486 members, we are 150 members short of the Texas PTA 3-year-high award. Let's finish this year with the largest PTA that Kealing has ever seen!!
To join the Kealing PTA hive, click the link below:
If you have Kealing PTA membership questions, please email Shannan Riemer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Join PTA? Watch this video to learn more about why you should join the Kealing PTA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGtGcYdEFs
Please contact Kealing membership VP, Shannan Riemer, email@example.com, with any membership questions, comments, or concerns.
Yearbook Recognition Ads are Available! Pre-Order Your Yearbook Today!
How To Order Guide (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b6bv9eEqfKqLAyzyyYIIeYCaz3_e_xXY/view?usp=sharing)
Follow Us on Social Media
Hornet Herald - https://kealing.austinschools.org/parents/archive
Twitter - @KTXHornets
Webpage - https://kealing.austinschools.org/
Currently underconstruction and inactive Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance